Underrated or little-known guitar solos

Ratslap

I'm not a big Kiss fan but, Ace's solo in"Strange Ways".
Wolf Holffman's solo in "Turn Me On".
The solo and fills in Skynyrds "I Need You".

There are so many more.

yucatown

Platinum Supporting Member
Jeff Beck: "Amazing Grace" or anything from "Amuzed To Death" with Roger Waters
Terje Rypdal: "Chaser" peride (1980-1981)
Jimi Hendrix: "Villanova Junction Blues"
I'd never heard of Terje Rypdal, but I checked it out and that guy can rip!

harvestmark

Listen to Buck Dharma's work on Blue Oyster Cult's E.T.I., particularly the outro solo. Then consider the year it was recorded, (mid 70's).

Mark Miller

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Three cool, underrated solos, all the same basic concept (bebop on a pop tune)

Denny Dias on Steely Dan's "King of the world" outro. (from Countdown to Ecstasy)
Mike Miller on Gino Vannelli's "It's Over" (from Black Cars)
Vinnie Zummo on Joe Jackson's "You can't get what you want 'til you know what you want" (from Body and Soul)

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
andy partridge's guitar solo on xtc's "pink thing" is very hip

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
andy partridge's guitar solo on xtc's "pink thing" is very hip
That's Dave Gregory, and it's a rip-off (intentional, as a tribute) of Joe Pass on "Relaxin' at Camarillo." Which actually makes it even more hip in my book.

Pretty much every solo Dave ever played on an XTC record belongs on this thread.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
That's Dave Gregory, and it's a rip-off (intentional, as a tribute) of Joe Pass on "Relaxin' at Camarillo."

Pretty much every solo Dave ever played on an XTC record belongs on this thread.
aha! i was told a long time ago that it was andy who played that. the guy who told me was a drummer- go figure :) what a killing solo it is!

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
the guitar solo in coney hatch's song "monkey bars" is really cool. i remember hearing it when i was very young thinking "where are these notes coming from?"- "i want to play like that". it turns out that the gtr player was playing "donna lee" by charlie parker in Ab over a medium tempo hard rock song in the key of E. haha!!!

kangcore

This is definitely one of them (Stay Beautiful by Manic Street Preachers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daHjeghsKo

Solo by James Dean Bradfield. It's one of my all time favourites, starts at 2:20.

Oh and the song is killer, too.
good stuff. nice to see a fellow manics fan out there... James sure can let rip when he wants to. Just opened for em in Singapore a few weeks ago, a truly humbling experience. And the manics are really sweet guys - once you get past the tour manager and their thick welsh accents!

my most underrated solo has to be the solo on that "she's a maniac" flashdance song... sure its tacky but i think it really embodies 80s guitar in its entirety - strat (or superstrat), divebombs, two-handed tapping... all in a concise 30-sec package!

NyteOwl

Gold Supporting Member
Mattbedrock said:
Duane Allman on Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad
Joe Perry on Train Kept Rolling
Jeff Beck on Led Boots
That`s not Perry.
If it's not Perry on the Aerosmith version, who is it?

Per Wiki: "Aerosmith covered the song on their 1974 album Get Your Winigs. It was released as the second single from the album. The song has long been played on album-oriented rck and classic rock radio stations. Additionally, the song has long been an important staple in the band's live shows, often closing their shows."

No mention of any other guitarist there...

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
If it's not Perry on the Aerosmith version, who is it?
Dick Wagner. He and Steve Hunter were producer Bob Ezrin's secret weapons, often called in to do tracks when the band's guitarist(s) couldn't cut it. (usually for reasons having to do with intoxicants more so than simple incompetence)

Wikipedia ain't the most reliable resource, btw.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Billy Duffy of the The Cult on "Wildflower"
John Frusciante of the RHCP on "My Lovely Man"
Nels Cline's solos with Wilco on the live version of "Handshake Drugs"
Marc Ford with The Black Crowes on "Sting Me"

3 of the 4 aren't that technical or really even very melodic...I guess I like hearing somebody let go and just go off.

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
The outro of "Time Waits For No One".......gets me every time. Never heard mention of it here.

Kief

the solo from "mandarin warlords" on lenny white's "adventures from astral pirates"

denny dias' solo on "your gold teeth II"

+1 on a lot of steve hackett/genesis. firth of fifth, for example.

Trending Topics