Understanding model price differences

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grathan, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Grathan

Grathan Member

I want to buy a new guitar but I'm confused when I look at a manufacturers such as Gibson, Fender, Suhr, or Ibanez and see the price difference in models.

Sometimes the differences are highly visible and also noted by the manufacturer. A good example is Fender Standard model vs. a deluxe model.

Things become less clear when you look at say custom shop and signature models. Now the first and most obvious thing is your "paying for the name" or they don't make as many of these kinds so rarer means you will pay a lot more. Less obvious is if your actually getting a better guitar.

People who know guitars might know the quality and components make that a certain guitar worth a lot more, but how does one get to know guitars? Now I've gotten to know the low end sub $1000 market very well through playing and buying cause they are everywhere. In my neck of the woods you can't find many guitars priced over $2500 though. It would be easy to judge guitars based on playability and tone if they were there in front of you day in and day out.

I need options to learn guitars better.

Some definitive resource describing build components, methods, and quality standards revealed model vs model. Is there resources for this information on manufacturers?

2. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

I would look at the web sites of the makers you are interested in learning about. For instance, you mention Fender. Read about all the strat models. That will provide factual information. Then read web sites like this that give a lot of opinions. After thats done go out to stores and look at the models in person. That should provide a working knowledge.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It is not easy. I fully appreciate what you are saying. I would not buy a guitar over $ 1,000 without having a chance to play that very guitar, or perhaps in a few isolated instances (Bill Callaham) I might order based on what I know from playing other examples (which aren't for sale).

I can't make the leap of faith, I gotta play the guitar.