Underwood guitars; beware.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by moreeye, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Do your Underwood builds "blow away" Suhr, Anderson, and a whole bunch of other builders whose names I won't drag into the mud? No, they do not. Do you like them better? Sounds like it. Maybe pull back a bit on the hype lever.

cmatthes and cugel like this.
  2. Speedbump61

Speedbump61 Gold Supporting Member

I’d say fine if he hasn’t been in here in a while. Dosnt need to be to conduct business. What he hasn’t done was respond in any sort of reasonable time frame to a customer whom he had accepted money from. Sounds like he build great guitars, but as we have seen with others, due to reasons unknown they don’t respond for extended periods. That makes customers feel uncomfortable. I own a retail store and if I couldn’t be reached for a more than a day, some people would have some very choice words for me

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Member

I didn't highlight "blow away" in my original post by the way - and that's my way of saying I like them way much better than the ones I listed that I have owned and also played...If that's too much on the hype lever, so be it....

This will be my last post in this thread....sorry if so many of you are turned off on my opinion of CU guitars....maybe I just got lucky, but from research I know there are many others out there who rave about his builds....

And I am truly sorry about the six year situation that has gone on for moreeye......still doesn't make any sense at all...I really do hope you get some peace and resolution on this....so frustrating and just not right......

4. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

The difference is that Suhr, Anderson, or whatever build amazing guitars....

....with amazing customer service. Now this db is holding your guitar hostage over this thread?

Chad, a word to the wise.... ship this man's guitar to him. Then, if you really want to save your reputation, write an open letter explaining what happened. Maybe you were in rehab. Maybe you lost a loved one. Maybe you just totally dropped the ball. Whatever it is, own up to it like a man, treat a fellow human being with some dignity, deliver on what you promised. Why would you NOT do something like that?

You're handling this all wrong, chief.

It really makes me want to jump in and help this guy who I've never met. Just to prove that there are good people out there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    pageburst, shadowbox, 2tone and 7 others like this.
  5. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

6. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

If Chad Underwood really wants to make this right, he will ship the guitar and reimburse him completely. A couple of months of delay is acceptable. 6 years to build a Strat is not. And I won't even get into his reply to the OP for asking for an update.

7. cugel

cugel Member

Do you want me to delete the post?
    You are not the victim here.

cmatthes likes this.
  8. RayRay

Hey Chad Underwood. Here's a hopefully inspirational true story for you...

I know a residential contractor (an acquaintance, not a friend) that I'll call Bill. Bill is a nice guy and does great work. Well, he got himself into a slippery slope... drugs. His addiction got worse and worse, and he started using his company dollars to fuel his habit. Basically took a few grand here with the intent to pay it back. Then a few more grand. Then 10 grand. Then more. And on and on. He was taking money coming in from a homeowner / customer and not paying subs that were doing the work. The subs put liens on the houses. The owners effectively had to pay double. It was messy. Really messy. He'd disappear for weeks on end, and everyone thought they'd heard the last of him. He'd surface, smooth talk some folks, then get some more money, and be gone.

Well, his business collapsed. His family collapsed. He was sued by everyone. And you know what this guy did?

He worked his ass off to make it right. He went to rehab. He admitted his problems. He sold his house and used the money to pay back homeowners and subs, knowing it wouldn't make it perfect, but knowing it was the right thing to do.

Last I heard Bill was getting small renovation gigs. But the point is.... he knew he screwed up, he did the right things, and he made the victims whole as best he could. And he's trying to rebuild his brand and his life.

Chad, I don't know what your deal is, and I'm sure you don't like this thread. But this thread is your doing. And the thing is.... you can take two paths:

1) Stay on the path you're on, effectively continuing your downward spiral as a human being.
    2) Made a hard right and take the uphill path. Change direction. Not easy but leads to a happier ending for all.

Choose smartly. Choose wisely. If Bill can do it, I'm sure you can too.

9. Speedbump61

Speedbump61 Gold Supporting Member

I’m sure it’s hard to face up to those things, and it is his own doing. To say that he hadn’t been on here a while and was upset with what was being said is more than ridiculous. If it had been a couple of months, still not how he should treat customers, but years? Get real. He’s got zero to be upset about, other than at himself putting himself in that position. He’s obviously still in a denial stage based on how he’s acting towards a customer. He’s not ready to face up and commit to a different path.

sw686blue likes this.
  10. FormulaXFD

FormulaXFD Member

I am not a lawyer, however I'd like to suggest the OP contact: https://ag.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx and file a complaint against Chad Underwood guitars to the Attorney General's office. Specifically include the pertinent facts, include receipts for product, all communications, and then very specifically his ransom of your paid for product's delivery in trade for removing your public complaint.

They might not entertain the case on a major scale, but it starts a paper trail. Since you're not likely to be in the same state, the escalation would then go to the FBI and it may be grounds for a fraud investigation. Either he delivers his goods, or he can explain to a policing authority.

11. RayRay

Agreed. And if it costs money, I’ll contribute $150 to the “Make It Right for @moreeye ” fund. Just let me know your PayPal address dude.

bullet6759 likes this.
  12. cugel

cugel Member

That's one of the nicest displays of generosity I've seen in a long time.

Jaan likes this.
  13. moreeye

moreeye Member

I apologize for not quoting every post here but I am so happy to see all the support. I am waiting for 2 weeks as Chad told me in his email. If I don't get an update by then. I will start a legal aciton. What makes me so angry is that a person that has never seen me in his lifetime, who has no idea what kind of a person I am may think about threatening me for 2500 Dollars. Anyways, if ever finished, the guitar will be shipped to a friend of mine in CA. He will make sure that the guitar is fine.

lifeson1 and RayRay like this.
  14. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Builds everything from scratch??? Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

15. RayRay

Plus apparently growing his own trees given the 6 years he’s taken to hold OP’s Strat hostage.

16. The bear

The bear Member

Two years isn't exactly that fast either.

RayRay likes this.
  17. The bear

The bear Member

Especially considered it was ordered 6 years ago.

photoguy and RayRay like this.
  18. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

:)

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I love "Fatmagul". Sorry for the interruption.

20. datsun

datsun Member

The problem with paying people upfront.. the money is quickly spent and their motivation to complete the job is also spent.

shadowbox, nichd, FormulaXFD and 4 others like this.