Unexpected NGD - Dave Mason content

drmatty

I received a present from a friend of mine. Apparently she purchased this guitar at auction for a charity. It is one of Dave Mason's personal RKS guitars. It even has the letter from the company CEO in the case. It is apparently a rare color and the first of this particular model. Does anyone know about guitars? It plays great!

IMG_0077_zpsprnkzl8w.jpg

IMG_0080_zpsqryb9bt6.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsju7j43zf.jpg

raja

I always liked the look of those RKS guitars, I would love to play one but don't know if they are still being made

drmatty

I don't think they are still in business. If you live in the Bay Area, we can work something out.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
I just popped on Reverb and did a search. Talk about your yin and yang. Ranging from $600 to $6000 asking prices. There must have been different grades or something.

I've seen them before but don't really know much about them.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
And with the provenance?

From someone who collects weird guitars and has always been interested in the RKS guitars the provenance doesn't add anything to me. I do think it is a super cool guitar, but as a collector I'd prefer the ones with the translucent shell and aluminum ribs. As noted above, someone dumped a bunch of parts for the RKS guitars on eBay a few years ago and there were also a few complete guitars at the time, sales hovered around the $800 - $1k mark (if I remember right) for the aluminum rib models.

StJimmy

I've got an RKS Red Ruby that I bought right after the company ceased. Brand new, first owner, $700. (I'd never sell it for that now and I think I got an exceptional deal at the time. They were pretty darn expensive when the company was alive.) RKS were very well built guitars and comfortable to play. The ones with the wood bodies were the most expensive and seem to bring the most coin. The tenite bodies (like yours and mine) are the next most valuable but even within that, some will be worth more because of the finish. They made chrome looking bodies, gold plated looking bodies, blue transparent, white paisley looking, and others but in very, very small numbers. The RKS Wave series was the most inexpensive line. Those had plastic interchangable bodies in different colors. Some of the tenite models with the black bodies don't have the same pickups, inlays, etc and weren't as costly as the Red Ruby's and the one like you've got. Yours and mine have Dimarzio pickups that were custom designed by Steve Blucher especially for RKS. That was the largest complaint. They are a very generic sounding guitar IMO so you have to craft your sound with the amp and/or pedals. Not bad, just nothing unique about the sound.

Further, after they sold all of those excess parts, some guys were trying to put together Frankenstein RKS guitars but I've never seen one that I couldn't tell that it was a parts guitar. YOUR guitar has got to be worth a little more at least given the provenance. Probably be worth more if you could find photos of him actually playing it in concert. Dave Mason was part owner of the company and there was actually a Dave Mason model (one with the wood body). I love mine. It's weird enough that I added some led lights to it to make it even more weird. But it's a GREAT playing, well built weird guitar. I've always been curious as to how many of the different models were actually made. You don't see many of them for sale.
3b53ecff-4839-4560-9591-a62ba1eefc8a_zps9g3zrouz.jpg
4d2c6d91-ca7c-4389-b28b-e9cb8c683a84_zps5u3e2epg.jpg

fullbody-1.jpg

headstock.jpg

Last edited:

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
I've got an RKS Red Ruby that I bought right after the company ceased. Brand new, first owner, $700. (I'd never sell it for that now and I think I got an exceptional deal at the time. They were pretty darn expensive when the company was alive.) RKS were very well built guitars and comfortable to play. The ones with the wood bodies were the most expensive and seem to bring the most coin. The tenite bodies (like yours and mine) are the next most valuable but even within that, some will be worth more because of the finish. They made chrome looking bodies, gold plated looking bodies, blue transparent, white paisley looking, and others but in very, very small numbers. The RKS Wave series was the most inexpensive line. Those had plastic interchangable bodies in different colors. Some of the tenite models with the black bodies don't have the same pickups, inlays, etc and weren't as costly as the Red Ruby's and the one like you've got. Yours and mine have Dimarzio pickups that were custom designed by Steve Blucher especially for RKS. That was the largest complaint. They are a very generic sounding guitar IMO so you have to craft your sound with the amp and/or pedals.

Further, after they sold all of those excess parts, some guys were trying to put together Frankenstein RKS guitars but I've never seen one that I couldn't tell that it was a parts guitar. YOUR guitar has got to be worth a handsome amount more given the provenance. Dave Mason was part owner of the company and there was actually a Dave Mason model (one with the wood body). I love mine. It's weird enough that I added some led lights to it to make it even more weird. But it's a GREAT playing, well built weird guitar. I've always been curious as to how many of the different models were actually made. You don't see many of them for sale.
D0BDA290-321C-4DC2-AF5C-E8600B632331_zps4xe4mhan.jpg

BFD4C364-3CEA-4B8C-9CF7-89EFDE998853_zpsqj0jncxh.jpg

fullbody-1.jpg

headstock.jpg

That is awesome. I would love to have that.

drmatty

I've got an RKS Red Ruby that I bought right after the company ceased. Brand new, first owner, $700. (I'd never sell it for that now and I think I got an exceptional deal at the time. They were pretty darn expensive when the company was alive.) RKS were very well built guitars and comfortable to play. The ones with the wood bodies were the most expensive and seem to bring the most coin. The tenite bodies (like yours and mine) are the next most valuable but even within that, some will be worth more because of the finish. They made chrome looking bodies, gold plated looking bodies, blue transparent, white paisley looking, and others but in very, very small numbers. The RKS Wave series was the most inexpensive line. Those had plastic interchangable bodies in different colors. Some of the tenite models with the black bodies don't have the same pickups, inlays, etc and weren't as costly as the Red Ruby's and the one like you've got. Yours and mine have Dimarzio pickups that were custom designed by Steve Blucher especially for RKS. That was the largest complaint. They are a very generic sounding guitar IMO so you have to craft your sound with the amp and/or pedals. Not bad, just nothing unique about the sound.

Further, after they sold all of those excess parts, some guys were trying to put together Frankenstein RKS guitars but I've never seen one that I couldn't tell that it was a parts guitar. YOUR guitar has got to be worth a little more at least given the provenance. Probably be worth more if you could find photos of him actually playing it in concert. Dave Mason was part owner of the company and there was actually a Dave Mason model (one with the wood body). I love mine. It's weird enough that I added some led lights to it to make it even more weird. But it's a GREAT playing, well built weird guitar. I've always been curious as to how many of the different models were actually made. You don't see many of them for sale.
3b53ecff-4839-4560-9591-a62ba1eefc8a_zps9g3zrouz.jpg
4d2c6d91-ca7c-4389-b28b-e9cb8c683a84_zps5u3e2epg.jpg

fullbody-1.jpg

headstock.jpg
Cool! Thanks for teaching me about these interesting instruments.

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
I believe Dave Mason was the only "major" player to use one.
I saw him years back at a local place and remember how great that guitar sounded.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom