Unexpected NGD

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TTHX, Apr 24, 2015.

1. TTHX

TTHX Member

My first real guitar was a MIM tele 12 years ago. Only now have I accepted that I'm just a tele guy. Went into to LA Music and came out with an 08 Fender 50's Road Worn Tele. Wasn't a huge fan of the whole relic thing, but damn does this thing feel great, play great and sound fantastic. They had one of the newer ones, but the neck just wasn't the same and sounded a lot more sterile/cold. I did like that it was less beat up, but aesthetics can only go so far. Played a bunch of classic player teles, highway ones and american standards. This one played better than all of them. Sold my american standard strat too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. orourke

orourke Member

If it feels and sounds right then it is right. I think it's pretty cool, it'll be better when you break it in and put some of your own wear on it.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Very nice.

What's the radius on that? 7.25"?

4. bloc

bloc Member

Big fan of old looking guitars (whether genuine or relic'd) and this is no exception. I'm also looking into a relic'd Tele and seeing yours is quite inspiring!

5. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I remember going to GC when these first came out.
    I picked one of these up in Blond and it was the lightest guitar I had ever held and sounded amazing.
    I still kick myself for not buying it as it "spoke to me" from the moment I touched it.

6. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Very nice! Love the road worn series, wish I would have found one when I bought my nashville.

7. TTHX

TTHX Member

Thanks. Yep it's 7.25. I originally hated this, but with the large frets I find it to be one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. When people mention that it "fits like a glove" I never really understood. Until I played this, really my hands just fly over this thing.

The new versions have a different neck shape, doesn't feel as chunky and much skinnier frets. More vintage feeling I guess, which I'm not a fan of at all.

Getting a black pickguard and brass saddles installed soon, the parts should arrive next week.

8. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Nice! Not a relic fan (I can trash them myself), but a nice Tele is a valuable tool. Amazingly versatile on stage - I use mine more than any other guitar live.

9. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I dig it! I didn't realize I might be a tele guy until I bought a Squier CV last summer, and now I'm thinking of going for something a bit higher up the telecaster ladder. Can't stop looking at teles now....

10. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats I love Teles too.

11. Turi

Turi Member

Walks into music shop.
    Buys a guitar.
    Creates "Unexpected NGD" thread on TGP.

12. telest

telest Member

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That sounds great. You get the best of both worlds - the comfortable chording provided by the vintage radius and the playability provided by the modern frets.

14. monty

monty Member

Was this at the Miss. location? If so, I've played that baby a few times when trying out amps. Plays great. If I didn't already have a few Teles (2 RW) I'd be owning that.

15. dazco

dazco Member

Road worn or the regular classic series, they're all fantastic bargains. IMO, if you replace the pickups and saddles (well, the saddles are ok but fenders brass comp will liven them up nicely) you just can't do better w/o spending at least double. I have a 50's classic and I know we hear this here all the time and it's getting old, but that thing is literally PERFECT. Theres not the slightest flaw, the grain is to die for, I have yet to play a better straighter neck capable of suck low action even with flatter radius', and it sounds beautiful. MIM vintage models are just unbeatable. Pickups and saddles aside, If it were nitro i'd never know it's not a AV w/o looking at the serial # decal or any other known minor difference. (and i prefer nitro so even bigger score for me)

16. TTHX

TTHX Member

Haha unexpected in the sense of getting a relic. Never thought I'd get one.

Yep they've got a newer model now on the racks for you to try out next time ya pop in.

17. monty

monty Member

Will do, lol. Again, congrats on a great axe.

18. ambientfixation

ambientfixation Member

Mine is my number one and always will be