Unintentional FRFR, I'm all in now. W/ questions.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Feb 23, 2015.

1. partytrain

partytrain Member

Some of these questions may have been asked in other forms, but I'm asking them again. And it's a great chance for those who have already answered them to answer them again and get your post count up! Win win!

This past Saturday, I lost my amp right as our set started. It was probably a power thing, but the amp has been a little shaky recently anyway. Luckily I have a Zoom ms50g at the end of my board. And even luckier, my band leader just bought a pair of Yamaha DXR's for various monitoring needs. So after a quick swap out of some cables, I was back up and running with a halfway decent fendery-type patch on the zoom. Overall, it worked out OK. I was still sharing the monitor with some vocals, so I couldn't quite get the volume I was hoping for. But it was enough to convince me that I need to give the whole FRFR thing a solid try as it would probably help quite a bit with our stage volume.

I went out and picked up an Alto TS110A yesterday to start the journey. I'm going to use my hd500 for now, with the intention of moving onto to something bigger soon (probably kemper, unless the amplifire really blows my mind). But I do have some questions for those who have bravely gone before me:

Firstly, has anyone used their FRFR speaker as the main sound source on a gig w/out going into the board? When using an amp, I was only ever mic'd half of the time. The other half, I've just been relying on the volume from the amp to carry me. Our drummer(s) is not heavy handed, so I don't have to worry about that too much. With this whole new situation, I'll most likely be going direct most of the time, but if a situation came up where I just needed to rely on my powered monitor, does it work?

Secondly, for those in cover bands, are you relying on one amp model for the whole gig, or are you switching models? In my situation, we don't have a dedicated sound guy, so we are a set it and forget it band. With switching models, there is always the potential for changing the way you sit in the mix, and without having someone to ride the sliders, it may bring everything out of whack. How are you handling that situation?

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Yea, bring your own speaker... I have used the Altos and EV's for a few gigs.

3. rsm

rsm Member

I've only use modelers into FRFR / FOH; doing this for the last several years. Have not used IEMs.

Not in a cover band, but I use many different models / effects in my presets.

This is my approach, YMMV.

First, I set presets to unity gain, and within a preset make sure the level is consistent if I turn individual effects on/off. Adjust again playing at typical gig volume.

Then, for each new preset I create, run through a song with band and adjust preset levels / other settings as needed. I usually have a volume pedal in each preset where I don't need to control other effects or parameters, so I can adjust on the fly if needed.

Not perfect but it minimizes surprises.

Once you have a reference preset, it's easier to create additional presets and set initial levels, and faster to adjust the preset in the mix.

Thanks for the topic, I'm interested in hearing how others do this.

Edit: I forgot to add, I can also make adjustments using global levels (I'm using a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3). As long as it's not an extreme change, it works fine.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. JPenn

JPenn Member

i have used my powered monitor as backline before, but really just prefer it in front of me, and run thru the mains. one thing about though, if amp in the room is your thing, putting it behind you really helps with that.

as far as setting up different amp models, i just stick with a crunchy jtm45-type sound that can be cleaned up from the guitar, and hit with pedals for high gain. this worked for me with an amp, and it still works for me with a modeler.

5. RLD

RLD Member

I use an Alto TS112A with a Zoom G3X.
    Used it for lots of gigs and lots of rehearsals.
    Small rooms, the Alto is omni directional enough to fill the space and larger rooms I've used the mains to cover.
    Beauty is I've never had to use the eq on the board, the sound I get on stage is what comes through the mains.
    I have a wireless so I'm checking it out all the time. Works great.
    I am able to play entire gigs with one patch.
    Basically a mid gain plexi with nice crunch-git volume on 10, then down to 3-4 for clean rhythm. Dirt pedal before the amp if I need more.
    Comp>dirt>chorus>amp>delay>reverb...thats all I need.