• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Union Jack amps

sidneymg

I personally don't own one but have I talked to Derek and seen his work on another forum and the build quality is outstanding. Check out some some clips on youtube, they sound great and Derek is a great guy and builds a very good amp. I want one of his JTM style amps myself.

Guitar_Dude

I had one for a couple of months, it was the marshall JTM 45 clone.

The shipping wasn't great - I had to replace some mechanicals that were bent.

I essentially was a cheapo weber kit. The wiring inside was a rats nest on the PT side of things. When I first got it, the presence would squeal like a pig if I set it anywhere over 6. The presence wiring had to be re-done and a shield added to the bottom of the head cab. That fixed it.

I also had some oscillation problems with it, again, due to lead dress and the wrong grid stopper resistors on the KT66s.

It also made occasional weird noises, got fed up with it and I eventually sold it.
Could have been just the tubes but I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

not sure how the quality is now but this is from 2009.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 50HG and it rocks. Great driven Marshall tones. It's very well made, and the insides are anything but a birds nest:

davestrings11

how well does it take fuzz and od pedals? can he add a loop to it? i usually like to run my delays and reverb through a loop. how well do those effects sound in front of the amp?

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
Is that still the case?
I'm not sure Guitar Dude had a Union Jack made by Derek Springer. I've seen another variant called Union Jack Audio that makes JTM type amps that is not related to Union Jack Amps.

I'd suggest giving Derek a call or email if you have any concerns. I've seen several of his amps, and all of them are hand wired according to his design. None of them are kits.

http://unionjackamps.net/

JStotes

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 40 watt Tweed and it sounds great! Build quality is every bit as good as my Clark Beaufort. Derek really knows his stuff and was very easy to work with. I think they are a great bang for your buck and recommend these amps very highly.

I think the dude in the earlier post must be talking about a different manufacturer.

gaelicsolus

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 40 watt Tweed and it sounds great! Build quality is every bit as good as my Clark Beaufort. Derek really knows his stuff and was very easy to work with. I think they are a great bang for your buck and recommend these amps very highly.

I think the dude in the earlier post must be talking about a different manufacturer.
I have a chance to buy one of these locally- how does/did the tone compare to the Clark? The Beaufort is closer to a Deluxe and the Union Jack would be closer to a Bassman/Bandmaster?

Pine cabinet?

Do you remember what the front end was (e.g., 5E3, 5E6, etc.)?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom