1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unique tele wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hey_day, Feb 15, 2009.

1. hey_day

hey_day Member

Is it possible to wire a tele as a modern tele and an esquire simultaneously? My thought is to have a 3 or 4 wy switch to switch between neck and bridge but another 3 way to wire the bridge like an esquire? does that make sense? is it possibile? can anyone diagram it for me?

2. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

A no-load tone pot does that. Same exact schematic as a normal tele, but when the tone pot is turned all the way up it is taken out of the circuit...just like an Esquire is.

If you really want a cool tele try a two volume no tone set-up. You go ino Les Paul middle switch position territory when you do that..very cool.

3. hey_day

hey_day Member

can you explain that more? clips?

4. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

an esquire has a three position switch...

the rhythm position utilizes two .47 caps and a 3.3K resistor
    the second position utilizes a .47 cap on the tone pot.
    the third position doesn't have the tone pot in the circuit.

SO -
    the second position is just like the bridge only position on a Tele - you can use the tone knob which has a .47 cap.

but the third position is just straight pickup. The only control you have is volume. What this does is provides a slightly different tone as there isn't a tone pot or cap in the circuit. It is a bit more harsh but not really noticeable.

So-
    A no-load tone pot is built in such a way that when the tone is turned 100% up it clicks into a position where it is no longer in the circuit...like an esquire.

I play an esquire quite often and I really don't hear that much of a difference. Personally, I like an Esquire because your options are very limited which forces you to focus on the important part - the music. I am severely ADD so this is a good feature for me.