Unity.... (Matching Clean + Gain Volumes)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by superdave2001, May 28, 2015.

1. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Does anyone find that they need to set up a clean or boost pedal specifically to bring your amp up to unity IN RELATION TO where you set your drive pedals for the best mix of drive and saturation?

Like, if I want to run a TS9 pedal where it really sounds best...it's not at unity, it's much louder than that. And I end up setting up a pedal dedicated to raising the non-drive level up so that it matches better with the drive level.

Does this make sense, and do others experience the same thing??

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like you need add a buffer or always on booster to bring dry level up. Perhaps even just better quality cables.

Does your guitar>cable>amp tone work for you then just seems to fall flat when you run through a all pedals off pedal board?

3. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

My signal is good (buffers in right places, quality cables - just upgraded from George L's to Mogami's with G&H plugs). It's not a "drop" i'm talking about...but basically the difference between unity with a gain pedal and where the sweet spot on that gain pedal is (if it's ABOVE unity, which often it is). Maybe it's just a matter of having a clean boost pedal in the chain and it's on/off like a gain pedal (on when no gain pedal engaged, off when they are).

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have battled with this over the years as well, especially since many overdrives seem to be at unity before even 9 o'clock. I have used a clean boost for when I want a totally clean signal; I have also used a compressor set low, but with the output level set to match my od level.