Univalve Questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Just how attenuated does it get?

How usable is the line out?

Does it's hot plate feature include a dummy load?

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

It can get attenuated until it's almost dead quiet, but sounds best when it can breathe a bit, just like any amp.

The line out is useful, basically you can turn it into a really fancy distortion pedal if you want!

If, by dummy load, you mean will it run without plugging into a speaker, yes. However, it needs a speaker simulator, like an H&K redbox to get good direct recording results.

3. Gumby

Gumby Member

Attenuate to about as loud as a trumpet w/o major adverse affect on tone.

Line out is very usable w/ cab sim. or as instrmt out to slave a power amp (which is the best method for low volume use.)

Using low output power tubes (6k6) and low gain pres (12at7) also brings the volume down. But only subtly changes the tone- as is the case with tube changes in general. They change the watts out but only a subtle effect on tone. 6k6 is about 3-6 watts while a 6550 is closer to 20 watts. Regardless of the tube choice it always sounds like a uni

*it's a bright modern voiced amp*

Too bad the forum is currently out of order it had all this info plus more.

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

Cool beans. Thanks a ton for the info.

5. Brooks

Brooks Member

got a uni on the way, good info. can't wait!

6. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

glad to see you made the decision to buy a Uni. they are a wonderfully versitle amp.

Just a few things about the power attenuate, firstly turning it on at all i find takes away a lot of the wonderful tone of this amp. but thats not to say that it sounds bad whilst attenuated. you will find that it sounds must better when you allow it to breath more. secondly if you use lower output tubes you may find that you have no need to use the attenuater at all which is a great little bonus

regards Brendon

7. onemind

onemind Member

Good thought, it would probably price out about the same as some of the stomp boxes we discuss here daily.

8. iMatt

iMatt Member

Got to say though that even with an EL84 this thing is too loud unattenuated (to my ears at least) to use in a home/small studio enviroment with the volume cranked - least that's my experience using the THD 2x12. In a quest to cut down on the attenuation needed in these enviroments I am having Tim at Earcandy build me a 1x10 with a low sensitivity speaker (not yet settled). How effective this will be I won't know till I get it. I am also going to try and get hold of the YJUni triode which apparently has half the power of the regular YJUni (yellow jacket with EL84). Someone above suggests that slaving the line out to a power amp is best for low volume use and I think this would be Ed Genaro's advice too. Indeed unlike some line outs the Univalve works well into the front end of an amp set neutral (I currently have mine sat on top of my Tech21 TM60 and need to go in the front end because that amp has a very flat response speaker with emulation built into the preamp).

9. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

i would say that you probably would be right about the univalve being pretty loud unattenuated imatt. it should have really taken into consideration that i am only playing it through a 1x12 speaker cabinet.

I've heard only great things about the 2x12 THD cab and from what people are telling me those speakers in it can give a quad a good run for its money.

regards Brendon

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I use mine through a 1x12 with a Celestion Blue.

I prefer it with 6v6 type tubes especially a 6K6 Voiseaux. Alternatively an EL37.

Because it uses only one power tube I get some friends handing over singleton tubes after one of their matched pair gets defunct!

Takes a while to get used to the tone controls (after, say a Marshall) but stick with it - it's worth it. I don't attenuate at all now.

best, pete.

11. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I've had a uni for probably 4 years now, and I personally don't care for the sound of the amp using the built in attenuator. For me, I run it unattenuated or not at all. The built-in attenuator is not a true hotplate in terms of circuitry, and it really eats tone. My advice, pick low power tubes and a low-efficiency speaker (greenback) and play as loud as you can. If you must attenuate, use an external attenuator. It is a really cool amp and has a very unique voice. At first you may find yourself scratching your head wondering what the big deal is, but after playing with it for awhile, you'll figure it out.

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. Looks like I have some mulling to do...

13. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

Love the Uni. Great for recording/home use. One of my favorite recorded lead tone ever was my PRS HBI into the Uni, then just line out to the desk.
    Great kinda Steely Dan tone.
    Not really enough headroom live though. Oh well :)

14. iMatt

iMatt Member

I've never played through a 4x12 Brendan but have heard the same things you have, and that THD 2x12 certainly moves some air. Also I am perhaps a bit oversensitive to volume at home since I started getting some tinnitus in my left ear - developed since I started playing in a pub band a couple of years ago. I am now extra carefull. Encouraged to hear that through a 1x12 you find the volume acceptable - bring on my 1x10.

Matt