Univalve vs. Deluxe Reverb RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pics2050, Sep 16, 2006.

1. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Hey guys & gals, my first post here.

I am interested in buying an amp with 6V6(s), Univalve certainly looks interesting, DRRI does too. When having 6V6 in Univalve how Fendery sound you can get from it? Anywhere near Deluxe Reverb?

Univalve has a solid state rectifier, how does this affect its sound when compared to DRRI?

Any other especially sound-related advice when comparing these two amps?

Do you know any other 6V6-equipped amps in that price range?

thanks, in advance.

2. stump

stump Member

You can get a Uni to sound Fendery but it really shines as having it's own sound. The ability to swap tubes in different combinations can get pretty time consuming. For me it's worth it. I think the Uni sounds more like a Fender with a 6550 or 6L6. The 6V6 gets more of a Marshally sound due to less headroom and more compression with the volume up. What kind of sound are you looking for? Call or email Ed at THD and I'm sure he'll help you out. Their products and support are absolutely excellent.

3. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Go to avatar cabs to buy a univalve. When purchased with a cab he sells them for really cheap.

4. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

I have both and the two amps couldn't be more different. Sounds like you need to try them out, but:

Uni: can get pretty distorted on its own, lean low end, beautiful sparkly highs and agressive mids. It stays tight when overdriven hard. The DRRI has a good clean sound b/c it has big lows for its size and scooped mids. It gets sloppy when driven hard. The DRRI can hang with a band better because it's louder and punchier by FAR. In my opinion no amount of tube swapping or speaker swapping will get the Uni to sound like a Deluxe Reverb. The tube swapping is fun and interesting, (and a good way to use any singles you have), but it still sounds like a Univalve in the end, which is a good thing.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1.

6. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

You might want to check out the Frenzel Classic series.

I haven't tried one, but I've heard nothing but good things. Build quality looks strong, lots of custom options, and a good value starting at under $400...

7. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Thanks all for you super quick replies.

We play blues/jazzy blues incl. traditional styles (Wolf etc.), West Coast Jump (Hollywood Fats etc.) and kinda older George Benson style instrumentals...I have Blues Deville and Mark IV that run with 6L6s (Mk4 also 6V6 & EL34) so I defenatively like and want Fendery sound but in a smaller lighter package that I could crank up at small club gigs.

Yes, I need to hear them both. DRRI does not have master volume but that can be overcome with an overdrive pedal at quieter gigs I guess. I like big bottom end. Sounds like DRRI is the way to go....any other ideas on "low" power Fendery-sounding amps that are not too expensive for a weekend gigger?

8. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Did not see your post before replying...I'll take a look at these. Tks.

9. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

+ another 1 for the DRRI, you can also get a good used original SFDR for about the price of a new DRRI.

Also, the clean sound of a univalve is nowhere near a good DRRI.

Tube swapping can be fun to some, but, I would rather spend that time playing guitar than spend the time and money to actually have fun swapping tubes. If youv'e got a lot of money to burn on a large selection of tubes. Better get an idea of good NOS tube prices.

Also, the Univalve only has one OT, it can't be a perfect match for every tube. so some tubes that would sound great, might leave thinking you've just wasted money.

MikeY

10. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've always thought that the UniValve leans more towards the Tweedy rather than BF. For some reason my Uni is loudest with an EL84 - no idea why.

Best, Pete.

12. Ric4001

Ric4001 Member

Agree completely. I have a Univalve, and a bunch of BF fenders (though not a DRRI). I have not been able to get a clean, scooped BF type of tone with the Univalve, even with various tube swaps. There's more midrange in its sound, like a Tweed. But it's a great sound nonetheless. And with a relatively weak power tube -- like a 6k6 -- I think it gets a better distortion, at a lower volume, than what I can get out of my BF Princeton and BF Deluxe (non-reverb), which will be similar to a DRRI.

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the KT series tubes are even louder.
    KT90 has acceptable headroom and a big meaty tone.
    univalve and DRRI couldn't be more different.
    my preference would be the univalve or a blackface deluxe reverb. the DRRI do nothing for me and don't really sound much like a blackface DR.

14. pics2050

pics2050 Member

thanks guys for your comments, now i know more!!

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Go try them out! :)

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Univalve is most definitely not the amp for those styles. The DRRI would be a much better fit. A really niice small, not too expensive amp that covers a lot of ground is the Crate V3112. Nice clean and really nice distortion. Traynor's YCV40WR has excellent Fendery clean, but the distortion channel is a little weak. I hear the YCV50 has a better distortion channel, but I've never heard it. Look at the Crate though. Don't let the name fool you.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

This is like comparing a van to a bass boat.

Very different amps with nothing at all in common.

18. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Funny that Benson is using a Univalve though isn't it??.

As to the original ?

I agree that a Univalve will not sound like a DR even with an NOS RCA 6L6 which imo is the most fendery...the DR is a more forgiving amp and the clarity and note serparation is no where near the univalves making it sound totally different. I also agree that you need to try them out. The Univalve cleans are amazing for jazz and blues but they do take a bit to get used to (especially hearing every clam that you hit right up front in your sound). The overtones are more complex than the Fender imo and are the sound is less lush and more up front. It is hard to describe it with words.

19. pics2050

pics2050 Member

I went ahead and got a used Blues Jr tonight...DRRI is still on my shopping list but needs to wait now. Thanks for your advices.