Universal Audio Apollo

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ncyankee, May 2, 2015.

1. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I think my UA Apollo has ruined me for guitar and amp shopping. I was never a big plugin/software person until I experienced this. The emulations are remarkable. I don't love the amp stuff, I'd rather run through an 11r or reamp with my Reload, but I have been super impressed by the studio effects.

Anyone else on the UA bandwagon?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Worked in a studio a few years using UAD stuff, top notch all the way.

3. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Member

Oh yea, bought a Quad last month and then UA keeps throwing me coupons for the plug-ins. Everything sounds incredible, and it's all very easy to use. The wallet hates me, but I figure it'll more than pay for itself the more I use them.

4. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I'm in the same boat. I got a ton of stuff when I bought my Quad and then I did the 3 for $399 and got the Neve, Vision, and Ocean Waves. Then i used the $100 coupon on the EP34 which is awesome.

I have a $50 coupon that expires at the end of this month I am trying to figure out

5. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Member

We picked the same 2 of 3, just only I picked the Lexicon 224 over the Vision. That deal was too good the pass up. The Ocean Waves and the Neve 1073 are just great. I have the same $50 coupon I'm also trying to figure out. I was hoping something would go on sale this month to make the choice easier, but so far nothing yet. I'm kind of leaning toward the UA-610 Pre Amp and EQ, but even at $250 that's more than I want to spend right now, especially after the other wallet-clearing purchases.

6. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I got the 610 free with my initial purchase. It is ok. I like it on an sm57 but prefer the vision. Studer is great and makes everything feel better and more organic. Raw, the Rat plugin, isn't great but the demo to the Culture Vulture was amazing!!!! I bought the Neve because of hype & legacy but it exceeds expectations that were already lofty. The tuner was crap I should have used the $50 last month but was waiting for the sake that doesn't look like it's coming

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

Looks like they are giving 30% off on 3 plugins right now and they released some new stuff yesterday including the Marshall Plexi.

I sort of hate the Marshall plugin.

8. ieso

ieso Member

The ENGL Retro plugin is pretty awesome in my opinion.

9. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I haven't tried that one but I should demo it.

I think my opinion of the UAD amp sims is that for the same money you can get an 11r which sounds as good. Not an ITB solution but can reamp just as easily.

10. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I have an Apollo Quad. Love, love, love it but I don't use any of the amp sims. I still do old skool amp/cab mic'ing. I don't find it difficult and I get the results I want -- plus I have a few good amps I like to use.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Love my Apollo and the plugins are spectacular! I've got some really great outboard gear to compare them to as well - Chandler LTD-1 Preamp, LA-610, a really nice Mercury EQ-H (Pultec) - and its nice to be able to just pull up the plugins and get excellent results!

I really dig the API Vision CS and the LA2A package has been incredibly useful for me.

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I'm a bit dissapointed in how quick my quad runs out of gas...

However, all of the plug ins sound awesome, so I guess that's the price

13. mix2much

mix2much Member

I have an apollo twin interface and a quad satellite. I love tracking with plug ins. I love all the little conveniences this thing has. So well thought out. I much prefer my amps or Kemper for guitar sounds as the plug ins don't quite stack up to what I can get using the mentioned methods.

14. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Anyone try out the updated Neve 88RS?

15. les

les Gold Supporting Member

The Lexicon 224 is a killer reverb... The Fatso, Echoplex and Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery Plug-Ins are also very nice!

16. juniorhifikit

juniorhifikit Member

I love it, although it's a finicky plugin. I'm not wild about multi-microphones personally, but the plain old 57 by itself sounds great! Be sure to keep the input volume low, or you'll crap-out the plugin. On the Apollo, you're supposed to keep the Hi-Z volume at minimum.

17. pharmacybear

pharmacybear Member

I'd really love to snag a UAD Quad Satellite so I try out their plugins. The Pultec EQ sound killer. Tucker Martine says that the the UAD EMT Plate is spot on, and with a LPF can EQ'd to sound exactly like the real deal. If he's ok with using them on the My Morning Jacket and Decemberists albums, it's good enough for me. Great tools!