Universal Audio Ox Amp stolen in San Francisco. Suspicious listing on Ebay from Oakland seller

dingurupa

Hey everyone, my apartment common area was broken into about a month ago in San Francisco with a crowbar, and the thieves stole the package with my Universal Audio Ox Amp in it. After about a month since the burglary, a suspicious listing is now live from an eBay seller in Oakland:

I have not contacted the seller and do not intend to reach out so the cops have time to conclude their investigation with this new information. It seems unlikely that I'll get any resolution via this route since I don’t have the serial number, but perhaps I'll get lucky since they have the person on camera stealing the package from my building.

Given how this is an expensive and niche item, I find it hard to believe that some random low volume seller on eBay would be selling this item BRAND NEW within the same metro area that I live in. Not many of these are up for sale on eBay and it's almost always a music dealer or someone that is clearly a musician selling this thing used.

Does anyone have any tips for a situation like this? Seems like eBay won't do anything if I contact them directly and everything has to go through my local PD. Also seems like I'm probably SOL since I don't have a serial number and SFPD probably has more serious crimes to worry about.

Happy to edit this thread if any info I've provided crosses the line.

Last edited:

dingurupa

I tried reaching out to the online retailer I bought it from about this and they said they didn’t have the serial number.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
Getting that serial number, or at least something in the ballpark, is critical I think. Maybe you could email Universal Audio and see if they can help you match up a serial number (or numbers) with the shop you purchased the unit from. Perhaps the shop can at least tell you which shipment the unit they sold you came from and Universal Audio can tell you which serial numbers were in that shipment. If you’re lucky, the shop only had one unit to sell and Universal Audio can tell you exactly which unit was sold to the shop. Somebody has to have a record of serial numbers for inventory purposes. That gives you something more to go to the police with. If the person selling the unit on eBay has a unit with a serial number that was shipped to the same shop as you purchased from and cannot produce a bill of sale, I would think the police would have him. I know that‘s thin, but it’s the best I could come up with. It can’t hurt to at least ask Universal Audio if there is anything they can do to help. Sorry this happened to you, but I hope you can figure something out.

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
Seller looks like they have some other music related gear for sale among other things. I'm thinking that this probably isn't the perp.

dingurupa

Seller looks like they have some other music related gear for sale among other things. I'm thinking that this probably isn't the perp.
Yeah you might be right but it seems likely that they’re peddling things that have been obtained through… unconventional means.

I’ve heard stories of warehouses in the Bay Area that are nothing but millions of dollars of stolen stuff, and there are supposedly places you can go in SF and Oakland to buy stolen goods for resale. It’s possible the seller picked it up at one of these spots. A lot of these smaller burglaries are oftentimes part of a much larger operation like this one that got busted here:

TL;DR they busted a warehouse here with $8m in stolen goods from burglaries and retail theft.

Last edited:

dingurupa

Getting that serial number, or at least something in the ballpark, is critical I think. Maybe you could email Universal Audio and see if they can help you match up a serial number (or numbers) with the shop you purchased the unit from. Perhaps the shop can at least tell you which shipment the unit they sold you came from and Universal Audio can tell you which serial numbers were in that shipment. If you’re lucky, the shop only had one unit to sell and Universal Audio can tell you exactly which unit was sold to the shop. Somebody has to have a record of serial numbers for inventory purposes. That gives you something more to go to the police with. If the person selling the unit on eBay has a unit with a serial number that was shipped to the same shop as you purchased from and cannot produce a bill of sale, I would think the police would have him. I know that‘s thin, but it’s the best I could come up with. It can’t hurt to at least ask Universal Audio if there is anything they can do to help. Sorry this happened to you, but I hope you can figure something out.
Yeah, I think you’re probably right. The merchant hasn’t been super helpful unfortunately so I’m not sure they would actually do the legwork to figure out which batch it came in. I know they had about 5 of these in stock when I ordered in early June so that at least narrows it down a bit. I’m on hold with Universal Audio now and hopefully they can help.

Thanks for the the suggestions!

dingurupa

Just got off the phone with Universal Audio and they said that some merchants like Sweetwater will put the serial number on the receipt. The merchant I bought from does not do that. I’m not going to name the merchant since they’re relatively big and I don’t really have interest in mudslinging despite them being pretty unhelpful.

UA also said it would be unlikely that the merchant would be willing to provide a range of serial numbers from their latest batch. I guess I could try but kind of tired of talking with them at this point. Might just have to chalk this one up as a loss!

Trending Topics