Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box

Drew @ UA

Regarding upgrading the sample rate...Just curious, why not? This is a deal breaker for me unfortunately :( I record at 48k and 96K often.

We did tests and it didn't improve anything moving up. We also tested the digital connection vs the balanced analog outputs, and with good cabling and short runs, they were virtually indistinguishable.

Combined with Apollos having excellent sample rate converters, the SR doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Uncle Mike

We did tests and it didn't improve anything moving up. We also tested the digital connection vs the balanced analog outputs, and with good cabling and short runs, they were virtually indistinguishable.

Combined with Apollos having excellent sample rate converters, the SR doesn't matter.

Respectfully disagree.
Not everyone uses Apollos, Very few folks I deal with record at 44.1, and “virtually indistinguishable’ in not the same.

I still love the unit.

TheRedBoy

I’ve been using mine the last couple of months at home in my condo to keep volume at reasonable levels (either attenuated or through monitors/headphones) and I’ve been absolutely loving it.

Finally took it out to a gig last week and it was great. Had the cab running onstage for me to hear, with just a touch in my monitor and all FOH coming from the OX. Got great reviews on the sound from Crew and some musicians in attendance. I’ll try and share some clips.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
As an apartment dweller with acoustically transparent floors that actually amplify sounds, and several Marshall heads on premises, the concept of playing my 1970 SuperTrem at headphone or acceptable levels is very tempting.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been using mine the last couple of months at home in my condo to keep volume at reasonable levels (either attenuated or through monitors/headphones) and I’ve been absolutely loving it.

Finally took it out to a gig last week and it was great. Had the cab running onstage for me to hear, with just a touch in my monitor and all FOH coming from the OX. Got great reviews on the sound from Crew and some musicians in attendance. I’ll try and share some clips.

Awesome setup Will! Nicely done!

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Tried the OX at a store in Nashville with a Plexi cranked into it with only headphones. I was throughly impressed and that was only with the few factory on the unit itself. They didn’t have any in stock so I ordered one from Sweetwater and it should be here Friday. It’ll be a nice addition to my home studio.

Last edited:

jzuker

Just got mine from Sweetwater. It sounds terrific, but the big difference to me is how it feels. The videos sound great, which is why I bought one to try out, but they can't convey how something will feel under your own fingers. Its such an intangible thing that's beyond the scope of YouTube, etc. But that's almost always the wrinkle with gear, just gotta play through this stuff ourselves, -guitars, amps, pedals, Ox boxes etc etc

Not all that sure that it will even be a noticeable improvement, sonically, once in a mix (vs Kemper or IRs), but, at least today, since setting up the Ox Box up 4 hours ago, I haven't put the guitar down. Inspiration counts for a lot.

I'll get back to you in a month after the novelty wears off. ( ;

MrMoose

Silver Supporting Member

This is fair, but it does seem like a weird choice not to include, especially since recording at sample rates higher than 44.1 is so very common these days (dare I say, the standard). Would be cool if the option at least existed, then no sample rate conversion required. Other than this I think UA absolutely NAILED IT with the Ox...looking forward to higher sample rate options in v2... :)

jzuker

Hi,

I just received the Ox a few weeks ago. I love it, except....

Sometimes when I power on, the led blinks this pattern: red once, amber six times, slight pause, then amber five times, repeat. (There is no sound coming from the unit, although the amp is plugged in etc.) This keeps repeating until I power off. I power back on and this recurs.
As per the "Troubleshooting" directions, I disconnect everything, power off and push reset, and then power back on while holding reset, but to no avail, for a while anyway.
Eventually, after applying the power off/on/reset approach 5 or 6 times, the unit will turn on properly. I've had to do this a few times in the last few weeks since receiving the product.

I've read the manual and it describes the blinking amber led as a firmware update. (Unless the Ox is getting updates via wi-fi, I don't believe this is happening. Not until the USB port gets activated)
There is no mention of this particular blinking pattern as I've described in the manual or Troubleshooting guides.

I've submitted this case to UA support, but I was wondering if anyone else here has had this issue.

Its Luke

Platinum Supporting Member
Just got mine from Sweetwater. It sounds terrific, but the big difference to me is how it feels. The videos sound great, which is why I bought one to try out, but they can't convey how something will feel under your own fingers. Its such an intangible thing that's beyond the scope of YouTube, etc. But that's almost always the wrinkle with gear, just gotta play through this stuff ourselves, -guitars, amps, pedals, Ox boxes etc etc

Not all that sure that it will even be a noticeable improvement, sonically, once in a mix (vs Kemper or IRs), but, at least today, since setting up the Ox Box up 4 hours ago, I haven't put the guitar down. Inspiration counts for a lot.

I'll get back to you in a month after the novelty wears off. ( ;

After some more seat time, how do you feel about it compared to the Kemper?

jzuker

I still love it (in spite of the little snafu mentioned above) Still love the feel, the sound, the interface...
The Kemper is fantastic as well, an indispensable tool for me for the last 4 years or so. I have access to many more "amps" with the Kemper, and it doesn't burn out my tubes ( ;
I've used both on recent projects. They're both great tools.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
sam can you share your eqs? i am a neophyte when it comes to tweaking and would just like a good point of reference.

Really appreciate your playing and sharing this.

He shared them on page 108 of this thread

Trending Topics

Top Bottom