Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tjontheroad, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

Nice.

Less talk and more clips!

2. deweime

deweime Member

I can try that tomorrow....want a specific speaker/mic combo?

3. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Gold Supporting Member

Not really, but my guess is the Greenback 4x12 is a good start, with a 57 and/or a 121 on it. Thanks!

4. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Gold Supporting Member

Damn right, Sam. That answers a lot of my questions.

Kojack19 likes this.
  5. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

wow...Am I correct in that you have been able to hook up the Suhr Reactive load and the OX in a safe way to use the Suhr load and the Ox software/cabs? I would classify my playing in the mid/high gain space and I do prefer the sound of the Ox vs what I was ever able to achieve with the RL and IRs but would be curious to try this if i am understanding this correctly. From the Ox you are then going into the amp in of the Suhr reactive load? What is the rest of your chain from here?

6. Lord N

Lord N Member

From what someone at NAMM told me it seems like they don't plan to add new cabs for this.
    Is there an official statement on this?

7. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

Well, that's kind of a bummer. Thanks for taking the time to check that out.

8. samtheman

samtheman Member

There is a load when switch is pos 5 in OX, so pos 5 is not bypass attenuator.

/sam

9. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Thanks, was so close to pulling the trigger but was worried about high gain. Think I will hold off for now.

10. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

Check out the convo here:

James posted

The Lo Lands likes this.
  11. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

True, but I don't need two RLs. That said, it is still possible the OX's load and cab sims sound better than the SRL with Two Notes cabs sims, even for Marshall sounds. The OX load is still going to be leagues better than a resistive load (or, should be).

Ultimately, I don't care if it replicates anything perfectly, just that it sounds and feels good. Most clips I've heard from the OX sound pretty good. I can't speak for the feel.

It'd be cool to hear a Marshall type amp with the OX and one of its 412 compared to the SRL and a similar Two Notes cab. Less ideal would be to hear the OX with DI into whatever cab sim and SRL into the same cab sim. OR, both.

You up for the challenge?

12. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

If I were you I’d try the Celestion longer IRs and MixIR2 to give the longer IRs a full chance in any comparison.

My problem with the previous nice studio comparison of everything is this wasn’t used and the SRL was low in the mix and V30 was used for some and G12m used for others.

ejecta likes this.
  13. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I also noticed the difference with using the Suhr reactive load after the Ox on the loudest Ox speaker setting. Being portable is important which for me that I cut some highs with the Ox load and ended up with something that sounds good with the Ox. At home I can put the SRL after it through.

Note that the difference between the Ox load and my 4x12 with v types has similar results.

Could probably use Logic Match eq to get them very similar and save a similar eq as a preset in Ox. I may try that.

The Lo Lands likes this.
  14. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

$1300. About the cost of an average good, not great, guitar. Most here have at least 3 ifnot 4 good guitars. And atleast 1 of these guitars probably sits most of the time in its case. I bet you would use the OX more than that 4th guitar. So it seems like worrying about the price or the overlap from other gear are just artificial barriers. Some one spoke of the cost of mics. Most recording dudes have a locker full of $600- $900 and even $1500 mics . Some are the last to come out and rarely get used. My point ? If you want a piece and can afford it and it will make your life better , all the hand wringing about price really seems silly.

Point 2. If you really think this isnt better than IRs you will never really know until you actually use the OX. A youtube clip doesnt get it. A youtube clip of someone eating sushi doesnt tell you if you will like it . BTW i liked cooked food. But i found that out by trying sushi not watching a video.

cjoly likes this.
  15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely wrong!

16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

It's not the cost of the unit that I have concerns with. It's how extremely limiting it is, in terms of the cabinets offered, and UA's noncommittal stance on adding more.

And there are plenty of great guitars for $1300.

17. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

I'm waiting on one to show up in my area to check out. Until then, I have to resort to the internet for reference. Folly, for sure. :)

The Lo Lands likes this.
  18. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

I vaguely remember getting the MixIR2 for the purpose of using the longer Celestions because Two Notes truncates whatever you are using. It gets all jumbled up with all the crap I've tried. I'll try it again, but my gut is telling me I've been there and done that.

That said, part of what I'm wanting to do is get away from my DAW doing the work for cab sims. I feel it's just an extra layer of disconnect. I've not tried a dedicated cab sim into the DAW to free it up, so I can't say it feels any better or not.

ejecta likes this.
  19. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

The $150 mooer Radar just upgraded their IR support to 1024 IRs. Maybe thats the ticket for those looking to keep using IRs. I got almost all the celestion ones and ill never even hear most now that i got the OX.

20. Lord N

Lord N Member

I wouldn't really call it limited.

MrFuzzTone likes this.