• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Universal Audio UAFX Pedal Series: Golden Reverbreator, Starlight Echo Station, Astra Modulation Machine

MixMinisterMike

Silver Supporting Member
...or maybe a kid’s dirty finger print
Ha!

It is definitely some staining on the metal. I didn't use anything other than water and a microfiber cloth to get it off because I'm swapping it out, but I'm not sure it would come off without harming the texture.

Hey, blemishes happen when manufacturing. It was certainly disappointing to see when I pulled it out of the box. I told Sweetwater when I was processing the exchange, if this was a $150 pedal I'd accept it and try to remove the blemish, but the $400 price point puts this pedal in a different category. Even though most of the cost-of-goods-sold for UA may be in the electronics/DSP, once you hit a certain price point the customer expects excellence all the way around. Fortunately both them and Sweetwater make good on their guarantees.

I've got a Starlight arriving tomorrow to go next to it.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I've had one night with the Golden thus far.

I've tried it:

• Straight into an amp.
  • In the loop of my Power Station.
  • Between my Suhr RL and my interface running stereo into the interface.

All applications sounded great. I was having serious fun with a cranked amp and running it between the Suhr RL and interface. A long plate sounded massive.

steam boat

The Astra is the only chorus I’ve tried that works with my Moog One, which is notoriously picky about choruses because of how huge it’s core tone is. It has a nice, wide spread while maintaining the attack and not turning the low mids into mud. Nice!

With that said, the real darling of the Astra is the Flanger/Doubler which is capable of classic flange sounds that sit just right, stereo doubling, and my favorite, addictive hollowed-out vowel sounds.

I’ve had my Astra for a week and I’ve yet plug a guitar into it but I’m confident it’ll do just fine based on the showing with the Moog.

Spupilup

For those of you who have all three of these UA pedals, what order do you have them in and why? I just got my Starlight the other day and have been too busy to spend any real time with it. I have had the Astra for a couple of weeks and am thrilled with it. I’ll probably spring for the Golden in a few weeks but I’m curious about what order people are placing the trio on their pedalboards. Do you have them in front of the amp or in the effects loop?

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
For those of you who have all three of these UA pedals, what order do you have them in and why? I just got my Starlight the other day and have been too busy to spend any real time with it. I have had the Astra for a couple of weeks and am thrilled with it. I’ll probably spring for the Golden in a few weeks but I’m curious about what order people are placing the trio on their pedalboards. Do you have them in front of the amp or in the effects loop?
I have asked that very same question twice here.
Those who have all three aren't talking.

I put mine Starlight>Golden>Astra
'cause that's how the pedals they replaced were :dunno

LimehouseBlues

Silver Supporting Member
So thrilled with my Starlight + Golden that I picked up an Astra. It came today.
And, as a bonus, I get to consolidate two modulation pedals into one. What to do with the board space -- cupholder?

your name here

Gold Supporting Member
Seems quite a few folks have had power supply issues. Reasonable to conclude at this point that it’s the pedals at fault and not the multiple supplies and/or User Error.
It’s almost like nobody sees the posts I keep making about INRUSH CURRENT being the known issue and how UA has yet to address it publicly.

But let’s all keep going ‘round and ‘round with suppositions and assertions about different power supplies. Lol :bkw

High Pedality

I now have all three and I run them how I typically run everything when laying out a board...

Source into...
Tone based (dirt, compression) into...
Modulation (chorus, phase, flange, octave, pitch, etc) into... Astra here
Time based (delay, reverb, looper) Starlight and then Golden here

steam boat

I now have all three and I run them how I typically run everything when laying out a board...

Source into...
Run that sh*t however you want, whatever sounds best!

MixMinisterMike

Silver Supporting Member
I put my delays before mods because that’s the way chorus was applied on the old amps like JC-120s, flanger sounds muddy before delay, and vibrato and trem are traditionally amp effects -so last as well. But I spent many, many years putting mods before delays because that’s how I read it should be done. At one point I joined a Cure tribute band and realized Robert Smith (and many others) put their mods after delays; I tried and instantly the tones in my head and on records were attainable. Now I put phaser before dirt too.

Yoni13

I have a Free the Tone Future Factory. I couldn’t resist the Starlight given all of the hype despite the lack of presets and midi. The Starlight sounds VERY good but at least for me, certainly not better than the Future Factory which has a similar footprint. The UA Starlight was not a keeper for me. The lack of midi or at least 3 or 4 presets is such a huge oversight. I can adjust the Future Factory to get similar high end customized sounds that work for me. The FF has a bit of a learning curve but once you get it you’re on your way. UA: Close but not quite!

Another observation regarding volante/starlight.
The volante to me sounds “prettier”. And definitely more spacious in stereo. The starlight sounds more direct. This I find is due to the attack of the repeats. They’re pointer, vs the smoother attack on the volante.
Interesting stuff. Might get a Freethetone to compare.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Free the Tone Future Factory. I couldn’t resist the Starlight given all of the hype despite the lack of presets and midi. The Starlight sounds VERY good but at least for me, certainly not better than the Future Factory which has a similar footprint. The UA Starlight was not a keeper for me. The lack of midi or at least 3 or 4 presets is such a huge oversight. I can adjust the Future Factory to get similar high end customized sounds that work for me. The FF has a bit of a learning curve but once you get it you’re on your way. UA: Close but not quite!
Thanks, good to know for those of us who own a FF and are wondering. Cools my GAS a bit!

Steven

Got the Astra a few weeks ago and I must say I´m a very happy camper!

I m running a PT Novo 18 jam packed with pedals - powered via a Strymon Zuma and Ojay expansion.

I have a GigRig QM 4 loop strip and the Astra sits post my Vemuram Myriad Fuzz but pre my Revivaldrive Compact and my Revivaldrive Hot Rod. No issues with hum and/or noise from the Astra.

I´ve been downsizeing my board a bit and I decided to remove my MusicomEfx LE4 and all MIDI controlling from the board, and also remove my GFI Synesthesia modulation pedal and instead use dedicated modulation pedals (Drybell Vibemachine, Neo Microvent, MXR M305 Tremolo and Henretta Green Zipper auto wah). I simply wanted to be able to on the fly use pedals instead of having to rely on what program on the switcher I was using. I found that to be more fun and inspiring in a live situation.

In this process I also needed a Chorus and a Vibrato. I was not very interested in the Astra from the beginning due to the lack of MIDI and only two presets, but when I did my new pedalboard it made sens to check out the Astra since it offered both Chorus and vibrato (and other goodies), and the price of an Astra roughly equals the price for a good Chorus and a good vibrato pedal.

I must say that I´m very glad I got it cous IMO it sounds very very good. It also has the Phase 90 algo witch I can use with some quick knob twisting. All in all the Astra fits my need very nicely and my initial doubts about it beeing pricey and lacking in features are long gone. Its perfect for my needs and its sounds very good.

BobVanceRefrigeration

Silver Supporting Member
It needs to be a double-blind comparison or the $500 price difference will make the CXM sound better.
Not at all. They really don't sound anything alike. Not to mention you can't hear things like midi, multiple presets, aux input etc. There's definitely more 'stuff' in the CXM that make it $500 more, rather than just sounding better.

donfrantz

Yo! You stealin’ all the cool.

Source into...
That's how I have mine too. Going to try Astra last for fun.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom