Universal Disc players....Oppo or Cambridge?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Dirtystranger, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

Dear TGPer's,
    I'm looking to upgrade my crappy $79.00 disc player to premium Oppo or Cambridge unit. Anyone out there own one of these? The current Cambridge "A" package is $1,700 while the Oppo "audiophile" is $1,300. I know the Oppo has a Toroidal transformer which the Cambridge does not. They both play all manner of disc and both are supposed to sound quite wonderful. I'm wondering if the Cambridge has enough sound quality to justify the extra four hundred bucks.
    Any opines?

2. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Unless you have absolutely stellar speakers, I doubt you can hear the difference. I'd go with the basic Oppo UDP-203 for $549.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Are you using the analog outputs? If you've been using a $79 unit, maybe not? In which case the audiophile tidbits won't matter. And, as Rex notes, even then it's a stretch.

4. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Gold Supporting Member

I have not heard the Cambridge so I cannot compare it to the OPPO; however, I've owned an OPPO BDP-105D for about three years now. Since it has a volume control, albeit in the digital domain, when I first hooked it up I bypassed my preamp, a Bryston BP26, and ran balanced straight into my Bryston 4BSST2, which powered a pair of Revel Ultimate Studios. After that first listen, I've never put the BP26 back in my system, nor have I felt the need to buy a better universal player, though I have since replaced the 4BSST2 with a Benchmark AHB2.

The OPPO BDP-105D has since been discontinued, but I have recently seen used ones for sale between $600 and $800. It's a great player, has a headphone jack, and unless you use an analog source (e.g., a turntable), it obviates the need for a preamp. If you can find a used one in good shape for around $700, you can't go wrong. Just be sure the purchase includes the remote, as the volume control is ONLY on the remote! Always thought it was odd for OPPO to not also put a volume control on the unit.

Stu Cats and boyce89976 like this.
  5. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

We have very similar taste in gear! I have Revel F208's, a Bryston 3BSST2 and SP2. Have used Bryston amps and preamps for decades.

3 Grosh guitars: '59 spec set neck, Retro Classic (Strat) and Retro Classic Vintage Tele.

Curious about your thoughts on the Benchmark vs Bryston 4B amp. 100W vs 300W?

6. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Gold Supporting Member

Man we do have similar tastes in gear! Both of us have Revel speakers; both of us have Bryston amps; and both of us have three Grosh guitars. Even two of our three Grosh guitars align. I also have a Set Neck (a '59 Spec/Custom hybrid) and a Retro Classic (20th Anniversary). A picture of my other Grosh is my avatar.

To answer your question, the Benchmark is much quieter than the Bryston, reveals more details in a recording, and just overall sounds much better. I know that "just overall sounds much better" is vague, but trying to identify why a speaker, or amp, or guitar sounds better can be tricky.

About 20% of the time I wish the Benchmark had more power. Next year, hopefully, I am going to buy a second one and run the two amps as monoblocks. By just throwing one switch on the back of the amp and using a different speaker output, the Benchmark changes from a stereo amp with 100 watts into 8 ohms per channel to a monoblock outputting 380 watts into 8 ohms.

The rack mount version of this amp only weighs 13.5 pounds, so I am also considering using these for different applications for our gigs.

7. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Lots of good choices out there, but the Oppo is killer for the money.
    You can go wrong with it .

8. James824

James824 Member

Never owned an Oppo, but I have owned a Cambridge. Junk.

Buy the Oppo.

Stu Cats and boyce89976 like this.
  9. Dirtystranger

Bought the Oppo. The difference is amazing. The player has brought new life into my tired speakers. It was money well spent. I hear more of everything. Now, I want a Bryston amp. I'd like a new model, but there are some tasty used ones up for grabs.

10. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

The price of the new Bryston "cubed" amps is too high IMO. I'd get a used 3B SST2 (that's what I use). I used to buy 4B's but found I didn't need that much power.

I pushed my 4B's to clipping a few times to see how loud it got but needed earplugs to do it. Of course it depends on how efficient your speakers are (or aren't) and how loud you want to get.

If you're doing movies and don't have subs, you might need the extra power for headroom to avoid clipping on peaks. If you can get a 4B SST2 for an extra $300-500, it's probably worth it.

11. Dirtystranger

Rex,
    Thanks for the tip!

12. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Hey Dirtystranger, it's been a couple of weeks now how do like your Oppo? Did you get the 205? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 205, and would like to know how it performs with both headphones and dedicated two-channel stereo playback. Have you had any issues and what's your overall impression?

13. Dirtystranger

Heinz,
    Do it without hesitation!! You will hear more of everything! I can't comment on the headphones aspect, but I've read it's great. When playing in 2 channel, I hear an extended dynamic range and find myself fiddling with tone controls, but I'm consistently able to get clean, clear sound. Because it does put out higher resolution than I am use to, I also hear limitations in some older recordings.
    I just received the new Yardbirds 68 remaster and Relf's voice is heard like never before. There were a lot of nuances to his singing and Page's playing that couldn't be heard in the old Epic release.
    Yes, pull that trigger, and always remember.....Happiness is a warm gun!!

Heinz W likes this.
  14. Heinz W

Awesome, guess the 205 is in my near future!

15. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

I'm in a similar boat - don't play any analogue on the downstairs rig- thinking of getting the oppo - hooking direct to my poweramp - use the oppo for a preamp/ cd player / DVD player / dac for external device----- $1300 ain't bad considering what it is amd what all the separates would cost you (DVDp- dac-preamp-)

Heinz W likes this.
  16. Heinz W

Well, pulled the trigger yesterday. My 205 should be here sometime next week. Sweet!

17. Dirtystranger

Let me know your impressions. At some point, I will put another system together and I want to use the XLR outputs. I'm curious if the sound quality will improve.

18. Heinz W

I'm actually just starting to upgrade my stereo/home theater, with the 205 being the first piece. Next will be a receiver. Leaning towards a Yamaha Adventage 3070 which has XLR inputs. Will probably wait until after the first of the year to get one. Until then the 205 will be under-utilized, sonically, though i will make use of the headphone jack. Which reminds me, I'll also need a new set of cans! ;)