UniVibe (and the like) question... do they make the signal "cleaner"?

ruger9

Is it the nature of a UV to make the signal CLEANER? Since it's blending the dry guitar signal back in with the effected signal?

I just got my 2nd vibe, a Shaky Jimi, and while I LOVE the sound I'm getting, I notice it's taking gain (but not volume, at least not the way I have it set) from my signal, when compared to turning it off. Definitely more amp breakup happening with it OFF.

Again- it's not that I mind it, it's gorgeous, I was just wondering if this was the nature of the beast?

Last edited:
Well, if it's reducing amp breakup, then it is reducing volume. There's a certain volume your amp can handle cleanly, after which the volume doesn't increase, just the distortion.
Try putting a distortion pedal before the vibe, with the amp set not to break up, then switch the vibe on and off and see if you still notice it getting cleaner, or just quieter.

bratch

I find that some vibes scoop the midrange a bit, which could influence how clean your guitar sounds.

ruger9

I find that some vibes scoop the midrange a bit, which could influence how clean your guitar sounds.
ah. That is what I am hearing.... which makes sense.... it's almost like the vibe is "blackfacing" the tone along with vibe-ing it, lol

DavidH

It should be possible with a true bypass vibe to set it up to appear unity gain, there's enough gain in the circuit to get a slight boost. With a clone that retains the original bypass circuit, no it's not possible to have unity gain between on and off. There's no bypass really, the volume knob still remains active. It's just switching the effect on and off so there's phase cancellation between effect on and off. It can be made to work for you though, having the sound clean up when the vibe is kicked in.

..but yes, it's the nature of to some extent it IME.

Have you looked for an internal gain trimmer? There should be a bias trimmer too so look out for that.

Trending Topics