univibe before or after fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Led Sabblin, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

sorry to repost but when i run a fuzz into my vibe(dano salad) it sounds awful. its all treble like an awful phaser type sound not warm at all and if i run the vibe before, which i usually don't cause the dano is not TB and in a bypass looper, i get a lot of nice clipping splatty glitchy type stuff and a little more throb but the volume drops slightly. jimi had all going into the vibe lastly but he had roger mayer mod his wahs and other stuff

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Here's my take on it. Univibe before most fuzzes really screws things up, and has a very inconsistent sound IMO. Fuzz works better before vibe, as you said. The trick for me is fuzz into vibe into a overdriven amp. This seems to smooth it out nicely. Maybe an OD pedal could work if you prefer a clean amp (fuzz>vibe>OD). I think amp overdrive is the way to go though.

3. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

your right, i don't usually use them together probably a case of GAS telling me to get a better vibe! except i don't usually use the fuzz into a clean amp almost always overdriven. haven't been able to get a good sound with fuzz into a clean amp for some reason probably cause i rarely do it. my case is similar to the fuzz unfriendly wah thing vibe doesn't seems to be fuzz friendy or vice versa

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I run my Deja second in line behind a wah and havn't had any issues, but my fuzz on my board is a Lunar Mudule, which tolerates anything. If I plug in a real fuzzface it's usually first in line since it's not on the actual board so I haven't experimented with it after-so in you guys' experience is it the vibe causing problems or the fuzz? I'm thinking of putting a fuzzface in place of the Lunar so would I need to change the order and put the vibe after it?

I dont' know much about the Danelectro but one of the reasons I sold my Dunlop univibe was becaues it wasn't true bypass so I could put it before fuzzes and dirt (although overdrives usually don't care, some fuzzes do).

5. chervokas

chervokas Member

A vintage, fuzz face style circuit is never going to sound it's best being driven by a low impedance source -- so basically most pedals switched on in front of it, or something buffered in front of it, is going to be less than ideal, or perhaps downright problematic (over driven and squeally).

I understand that sometimes people want to switch on stuff in front of a fuzz, that can be ok, but it's almost always going to involve sonic compromises because either the fuzz will behave in a less than ideal manner or it will load the device in front of it problematically (as with a wah in front of a fuzz).

I know people look at Hendrix' signal path and think, well, that's the way to do it. But, in case you didn't notice on a lot of the Hendrix live recordings there are frequent problems Jimi had with squeal and noise and radio breakthrough.

Personally I need to have a vibe that's true bypass. An historically accurate vibe will have a very low input impedance (69K) that will load down the guitar and knock down the signal level and high end. I love that when the effect is switched on because it gives the effect that dark, chewy tone; but I hate that when the effect is switched off.

But because the vibe in part develops it's character by loading down the guitar, if you run something switched on or buffered ahead of the vibe, the vibe will no longer load down the guitar and it will sound much brighter than it sounds when it loads the guitar directly and, yes, in my experience, it will sound much more like a conventional modern phaser (remember a vibe is basically a phaser that also has amplitude and pitch modulation going on).

I don't run a fuzz on my board any more -- I just found I had too little use for it -- but when I did I ran it, and all dirt, after my TB Mojo Vibe.

Generally I like to run the vibe clean anyway with nothing switched on after or before it. The Mojo has maybe 12 dB of gain (original vibes were pretty much unity gain devices) so sometimes I'll crank the output on the vibe and use it into an amp that's set on the verge of break up and get a dirty vibe tone that way -- by letting the vibe push the amp a little bit. But mostly its my preference to let the vibe speak for itself.

But I don't have any specific knowledge of that Dano circuit.