Univibe: first or last in chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kelly, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Kelly

Kelly Member

Where do you put your vibe? Just curious. Ive seen it both ways.

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

I use a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, and it sounds best before dirt boxes. I tried after, and it was way too bright. There must be an impedance mismatch, or something like that going on to make it sound bright.

3. chervokas

chervokas Member

I like a univibe early in the chain, ahead of dirt and ahead of any buffers so the low input impedance (69K ohms historically), when switched on, can load down the guitar and give it that characteristic dark flavor. Behind a buffer I think it sounds too much like a generic phaser.

4. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

Yep, early in the chain, before dirt.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

6. hawes

hawes Member

after fuzz before dirt.

7. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I like it near the beginning, but its kinda toward the middle of my board. I have an analog octave pedal, treble booster and wah first. In general I like vibe before dirt, but I think I like the treble boost better before the vibe. Most other dirt before vibe makes the sound too phaser like, assuming you're using a clean amp. With a dirty amp, it doesn't matter as much IMO. Most fuzz doesn't work very well after vibe though.

8. scolfax

scolfax Member

eh?

9. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

With modern vibe units, I've always argued for first position. This way, one avoids the frothy "Whose That Lady" phasing. However, having aquired a 68 Univibe, I decided it was time to test the post fuzz, legendary Woodstock/Band Of Gypsies floor order. Running a 69 Strat into a Wilson modded V847, Dunlop Octavio and JH-F1, still resulted in phasing, but I could hear that "Machine Gun" throb in there. I decided to attempt Jimi's amp output, tones up pretty high, level into overdrive, and there it was. Star Spangled Banner, Hey Baby, Hear My Train A Comin'. The overdriven amp seems to cancel out much of the unwanted phasing and bring the effect more into balance. Sorry I'm not set up for clips.
    [​IMG]
    68 Strat on left, with Woodstock Tribute, 68 Uni Vibe. Although I went to great lengths to reverse the natural order of these pedals, I'd run any current vibe examples in front, like Robin Trower, Gilmour etc

10. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I've played with it both ways, well it's alwyas before dirt, my amp, but whethere it's before or after fuzz, I like my microvibe before the fuzzface, it's just more managable. Maybe a fancier vibe might be different, mine's pretty noisy for some reason, probably cause I messed aroud with the trim pot.

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Hendrix is the reason I even use a vibe, so I model my signal chain after his. Vibe after fuzz/wah and before overdrive (which was his amp)

12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Exactly. I think dirt into vibe into overdriven amp also really helps get the overloaded vibe solo sound from Machine Gun, at this point the vibe gets almost covered up instead of getting exaggerated sounding like it would into a clean amp. Even with no dirt pedals, I just like the sound of vibe better with an overdriven amp.

Killer setup BTW!

13. hawes

hawes Member

like this: fuzz --> vibe --> OD/Dist

14. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Always first for me. Sounds all wrong when placed after my overdrives.

15. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

16. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

One day I like it before dirt, the next day I like it after>:dunno
    So I use a Loop Flipper. One stomp, flips the order of the Vibe in the chain.
    Now I don't have to make up my mind which I like more(-:

17. thewex

thewex Member

sorta how i am as well, but i think it prob is best first or very early. my DOD wah is at its best first, so i have the vibe right after

18. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

I actually used to use it first in the chain BUT recently when I bought the SM Fuzz and was playing with the pedal order over again, I liked the Mini Deja Vibe after the fuzz. So it sits after fuzz and other dirt but before RC Booster (that I keep always on). I just use the vibe with the fuzz or with clean sound and that's where it sounds best to my ear.