Univibe pedals which one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I see a lot of attention on the sweetsound mojovibe and the KR megavibe.
    Man, univibes aren't cheap! Which one is the schizzle!!!!!?

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The Foxrox Aquavibe is getting some good press around here lately. The Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe is just awesome, but too much money for my budget. The Sweet Sound Ultravibe and Mojovibe are both great (I'm really not sure what the difference is between the two, sonically-speaking). I prefer the sound of the Megavibe, the most. I'm on the wait list for one and it's been about 8 or 10 weeks, so hopefully it will be coming soon. I can't wait.

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

The Mega Vibe has Mega Vibe and I think some schizzle too but I have never seen a schizzle so I have no proof.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

foxrox and effectrode . Check out the demos on my product demos page.

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I've tried quite a few,and the Mega is exactly like the original. If you want other sounds, go with something else.

7. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I've tried them all and I like the Fulltone.....

8. shakti

shakti Member

Finally got my hands on a Mega, and the thing sounds soooooo good and exactly what a great vibe should sound like IMHO. I've owned a Dunlop, Microvobe and two Provibes (CC1 and CC2), plus I've tried a Prescription Electronics Vibe-Unit and Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe. The Mega absoutely was the best of all of these, and the only one I found to sound truly inspiring. All of these will give you a very ice vibe sound, but the Mega absolutely has that extra 5%.

For the record, I have not tried Fulltone, Sweetsound Ultra or Mojo or the new Foxrox Aquavibe.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

If you're worried about price check out the Moen Shaky Jimi. These things are true bypass, have a metal enclosure - and have a Chorus mode (for a Leslie sound) and a Vibe mode too for those classic phasey vibe sounds of Hendrix and Trower. I owned both the Dano Chicken Salad and the Shaky Jimi and ran them side-by-side for a while but sold the Dano; as I believe it was okay but it was sonically inferior to the Moen pedal in most regards. You can pick them up on eBay for around $50 US. A mod for it that improves its performance is to open it up and wrap black electrical tape or electrical shrink tubing around the 4 led and sensor pads in the centre of the board to prevent any led light leakage between the four components arrays. This helps address a small volume drop issue when Vibe mode is engaged and also makes the pedal sound a little more musical. The bonus with this pedal is you get a great Leslie simulator when you're in Chorus mode as well which sounds very convincing to my ears.

It's also pretty easy to change the dpdt switches in these, if you ever need to, as all the wires a numbered on the board. So, it's an easy pedal to work on. These are a keeper for us working musicians who need Vibe tones at a working person's price. Oddly enough, this picture shows the exact knob settings I use for a deep, reasonably slow pulsating Vibe and Leslie tones.
    [​IMG]

10. Cary Chilton

50 dollar VIBE@ nice!
    Most Vibes are VERY pricy. Pricy for me because I wouldn't use this effect all that often, probably mostly for covers... maybe an original? not sure..

What do you vibe-experts look and listen for when doing a VIBE-shootout!?
    ;)

11. Cary Chilton

So the TGP'ers overall pick would be the KR Megavibe? small or large box?

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I don't think that's true. Just as many folks love the aquavibe. As mentioned before, the effectrode tube vibe is fantastic too. However, the KR is a great pedal as well.

13. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Good luck with that one, Gang Twanger. I've been on the list since mid-January. At the end of March, KR told me "just about 3 weeks away from yours" which would have made it April 20th or so. I've sent him emails to both of his addys with no response. He updated his site on May 6th, indicating "emails problems, etc., and that it should be fixed soon and will answer all emails". It's now June 8th and he still hasn't answered. He hasn't been seen here since March 25th.

Good luck with support from KR should you ever get one and need it serviced!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  14. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

I've had voodoo lab's microvibe on my board for about a year and love it!

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

FWIW:
    I have the KR Megavibe, the Foxrox Aquavibe, the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Jr., and the Fulltone Dejavibe (I also have the Provibe from the Foxrox Captain Coconut 2, if we count that).
    I have compared them all, and my vote goes for either the Aquavibe or the Voodoo Vibe Jr. The Megavibe is also excellent, but the other two really stand out in ways that put them in rarefied air.
    I obtained the Roger Mayer for $205 used on the 'bay (including shipping).

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

The Mega Vibes, both small and large sound the same and closest to the original.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Hey Wooley...sent you an email. Thanks for all your vibe info.

18. Cary Chilton

I am STUCK on the foxrox or the KR, which one ???/ help

19. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have a direct comparison of the two in another thread. If you will hold on for a little bit, I will try to find it and post it here.