Univibe users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, May 26, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Anybody here use a Univibe (or clone) on a semi regular basis and NOT use it to cop Hendrix/Trower tones???

I got out of using almost all modulation a few years ago and have started thinking about bringing something back into my rig for a different kind of tone now and then...I've been through loads of phasers, chorus, flanger, etc pedals but I never even really tried to use a Univibe tone mostly because I was never interested in trying to sound like Jimi...however Im now thinking about adding a Vibe to my set up but am wondering how useful it'll really be...if a good vibe could be had for $75 I wouldn't ask but I'd hate to drop $350+ on a good vibe pedal and never get any use out of it...

Any thoughts, advise, tips, etc??

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Also...for those that answer tell me which vibe you use and if you use it mostly clean, dirty, etc and maybe a little about the rest of your rig...

Thanks!

3. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I used to use a Mojovibe a decent amount, but I always felt like I couldn't do anything original and just used it for cover songs. I then bought a MXR Variphase for $135 shipped and it just fit my playing better and I really loved it and sold my mojovibe yesterday. I would suggest using a phaser unless your are trying to get an exact tone for certain songs since they are more expensive.

4. PFunk

PFunk Member

WW-

I use a Fulltone Deja-Vibe mainly for chewey, phaser-type comping or single-note muted-staccato stuff, its thicker than the phasers that I've had previously, although I never had a Mutron.

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I like the Voodoo Lab MicroVibe and run mine before my dirt boxes in the chain. I got mine on a trade but, I'm sure you could surf the Emp. and find one or at least similar in price & quality.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

start with some chicken salad. probably the best bang for the buck. . .

. . . then i'd use a purdy ole block/no led/no adaptor phase 90. phase 45 is swell as well. all of them handle gain very well. . . . placement affects tone/sound for sure with all of them. i don't think i'll ever settle on pre or post dirt. . . but it's post right now . . in a tbp loop. i play an alessandro rottweiler and a blues junior. . . usually together. . . . but they LOVES the BJ b/c it is so mid=voiced.

7. burner

burner Member

I don't play any Trower and only one Hendrix song.
    I use a Microvibe before OD boxes into a JCM800 clean or dirty.
    IMO, the Microvibe is damn hard to beat.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

^agreed as well. . .

9. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I've got the Lovepedal MagicBoy vibe on my board, and it does the trick for me. Which only means that it gives me a very cool, convincing Univibe-ish sound on those occasions that the song (or something else) calls for it, is well-built, true bypass, has a fairly small footprint, LED and 9V tap and cost right around $150.

Even in the instruction sheet that Sean sent with the pedal, he states that "The whole point of this unit for me is simplicity..." and that "most people that want this type of sound, hardly ever use it enough to warrant the extras."

Simple
    Affordable
    Small
    Well-built
    Sounds great

I'm sure I'd dig the Mojo, Mega or Deja Vibes as well, but this one works great and makes more sense.

10. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I'm using the MicroVibe, and with both knobs set at noon or lower, I find it can add a lot other than just typical swooshy univibe. I like it a lot more than using chorus (on low settings).

11. steinwand

steinwand Member

I'm using a rehoused ChickenSalad as chorus replacement and
    a DejaVibe for the vibeish sounds ...
    I had a Magicboy and MoFaux too (both different beasts) but
    the lack of a depth control made me sell them.

What I especially like about a Vibe as Chorus replacement is,
    that the Vibes sound more natural (IMHO) and not overprocessed.
    For me the Chorus always had that unnatural synthlike sound
    especially when used with fuzz/overdrive/distortion.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I use the BOSS Vwah univibe for the cliche stuff u mentioned but also for very heavy throbing stuff similar to the way Satriani uses them. I actually have 2 vibes on my board, one pre OD and one post OD depending on how pronounced I want the effect to be and how much gain I am using. For Hendrix etc I use the pre OD and for throbing pulse vibe I use the post od along with tremolo sometimes for a really menacing modulation punch effect.
    Here's a demo I put up in another thread to illustrate the Vwahs rate movement for pre OD vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJ5aWKcJ8U

I will put together another demo with the 'pulse vibe' later if you want.

13. alltone

alltone Member

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'm using my Moon Phase as a vibe-a-like, and am not using it for Hendrix or Trower tones. Using it for my own tones which are more like early Lifeson and Gilmour textures.

-Ben

15. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

Got me the Voodoovibe jr for Hendrix/Trower tones in the first place (which it does great), but after I discovered its subtle settings it has become a standard ingredient in my tone. It just adds something magical.

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I often use my Effectrode to cop a sort of fast faux-Leslie timbre for chord work - works great!

17. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I've used my uniphase with a thinner sound at a fast speed to cop a vibrachorus kind of sound or kind of a quasi tremolo at other settings.

18. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks guys...anybody else???