Univibe with blend control?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjalla, Aug 21, 2008.

1. tjalla

tjalla Member

Could anyone tell me what are my options for a univibe/phase pedal that has a built in blend (or wet/dry) knob? I know of the Lovepedal DoppleGanger and Effectrode Tube Vibe, but I was looking for something with a smaller footprint that I can power with my Diago 9V power supply.

I'm diggin' my VL Micro Vibe but with distortion I like to have it more in the background, as it does 'take over' the sound a bit too much when 100% wet. Am currently using a Barge Concepts VFB-2 blender, using the VL 50% wet, and that's not a bad solution but was hoping for something in one pedal especially seeing that I only use it sparingly.

Not after chorus/vibrato pitch-shifting, but rather phase-shifting.

Any ideas?

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

The Dunlop Uni-Vibe SC has a mix control that sort of does this. I have one and love it.

3. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

I had Micro Vibe too, nice pedal, but exactly the same problem you described.
    Now I have Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser which has a mix control and two different phaser sounds.
    From MP site:
    "MIX:no effect at 12 o’clock, CW and CWW settings controls the depth of two different phase tones"
    http://www.mpamp.com/pedal/pedals-top.htm

Similar style pedal is Roger Mayer VooDoo Vibe Jr.
    http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/vibe_jr.htm

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The Fulltone Mini Deja does.

I just happen to be selling mine.

5. tjalla

tjalla Member

Thanks for those guys, funny that I overlooked the Dunlop! The Mad Professor clips on youtube sound great, and are probably at the front runner of my options esp with the two phaser sounds.

GCDEF - The Fulltone Mini Deja sounds good too, even though I don't need the vibrato function. None of the online demos really show what the volume knob does - is that the wet/dry mix? So all the way CCW its just a straight uneffected sound?

6. tjalla

tjalla Member

Ahahah... you guys are probably gonna shoot me for this, but I just noticed the Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe has a mix knob, and true bypass. lol!

7. steveb

steveb Member

No blend pot on the Mini Deja, just the vibrato/chorus switch.

8. steveb

steveb Member

I think the Cool Cat is more of a chorus pedal. I've read that the Chicken Salad does the Uni-Vibe thing.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Intensity does what I think he's looking for. Volume is the overall output level.

10. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

This is a pretty easy mod to do to any phaser/vibe. If the pedal has a passive mixer, locate that pair of resistors and replace them with a pot with the wiper going to the pedal's output.

Jim

11. tjalla

tjalla Member

From the online demos it seems the intensity controls the depth - I need to be able to crank the intensity, but pull it back in the mix with an actual wet/dry blend (like what a VL Sparkle Drive does) so it doesn't overtake my sound completely.

According to literature, the Dano does seem to be pitch-shifting based, but that said, in the demos I've heard it doesn't sound out-of-tune like a vibrato/chorus can.

Jim, thanks for the tip. I'd love to figure out if I could add an internal blend pot to my VL. If so, that's my problem solved right there.

12. sinkrock

sinkrock Member

How much are you selling your Mini Deja Vibe for? :)

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

$175 shipped. Send a PM if you're interested.

14. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Rotovibe has a depth control, and it does have modes for pitch-vibrato* and chorus. But it doesn't use an incadescent lamp like the Univibe, and some say that makes it pulse with a different pattern than a Univibe does.

*I should not have to say pitch with vibrato. That is redundant. Vibrato MEANS fluctuating pitch. Damn you Leo!