Unknown amps at every show

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gonkboy, May 3, 2015.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Hi folks,

I play in a band and we play our own material. We play in many different venues and the backline changes with every venue. One week we can have great tube amps which are miked and played through the PA. The next week we might be playing through a Marshall solid state MG with just the vocals miked.

As you can imagine, I'm having problems getting a consistent guitar sound. I'm wondering if any of you regular road warriors have any advice as to how I could get a more consistent guitar sound. The sounds I would need are clean, crunch, and fuzz.

Any advice?

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Bring an amp, and a couple pedals.

Or

An Axe FXII

3. alexnord

alexnord Member

We have the exact same problem. Sometimes the venues we play don't even have working amps and we have to plug out guitars straight into the mixer. Not good.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I've done numerous gigs like that. Now the backline amps were mostly JCM800's and DSL's of various types, but sometimes Twins other Fender amps which can be hard to deal with when you're playing hard rock like me.
    So I got around it having a few different of's to choose from.
    Something like a Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 for the Marshalls, and a Wampler Pinnacle for the Fenders, sometimes a Carl Martin Plexitone, both pedals with a strong "MIAB" flavor.

If I were to do it all again now, I'd probably look into a modeler of some kind. HD500x or maybe an Amplifire even.

I'd make some simple OD patches for when dealing with "good" amps, and make patches for pretty much any scenario including going 100% direct.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Either gotta bring your rig to every gig or get a modeler or a POD or something.

6. stump

stump Member

Pedalboard and modeler. Use the board with Good/decent tube amps. Modeler with Solid State or direct.

7. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Be prepared. Put it right on your pedal board and know what to expect:

8. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Tech21 character pedals, zoom MS pedal for fuzz. Direct to PA, small pedal board, easy load.

9. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

Check out the Tech21 Flyrig as well.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'd say this but you're likely to end up just doing the latter.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

overall point being to not rely on any amplifier distortion, but build a pedalboard that will get all the sounds you need while running into a clean amp.

beyond that, the other idea is to include some kind of amp/speaker simulation/modeling, so that you can get a good sound running direct into the PA with no amp at all too.

me, i'd just bring my amp every time.

12. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

This. And bring a small combo amp. My main gigging amp is a 100W JCM800, but I can get by with my little 30W Vox something or other. At least with it, I know what to expect each night.

13. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a car and have to take the train to shows so taking my own amp is out. I've been trying to have a pedalboard that gives me all the sounds I need but the difference between the amps makes that less effective than I would like.

I'm intrigued by pre-amps and going direct to the PA. Are there any good threads that I could read to give me more info about what that entails?

14. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

15. texasdave

texasdave Member

Time for you to tear into the Digital and Modeling sub forum: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=53

You may glaze over the first first times, but there's a TON of info there.

Preamps still need cabinet simulation in some form or fashion. Can be analog like the Tech21 Character Series pedals or digital w/ cabinet modeling at several price points.

16. jrjones

jrjones Member

Definitely hit up a modeler if taking your own amp isn't an option. Tons of great choices, depending on your style of music. If you just want something super simple with good distortion and clean sounds, the eleven rack is really well liked. If you like thousands of tones, fractal kills for that. Kemper has its own thing going, too. Line6 has the all in one box down pretty well (if you're satisfied with their tones). It's a great time to be a guitarist. Tons of options.

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

HD 500 would be simply perfect for this. One thing on the floor. Tweak it as needed for shows, use a DI if you need to, so you can go direct to the board AND to whatever crappy backline they have at the same time. your sound on stage might be crap, but you'll always know what the audience is hearing.

18. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

In this day and age there are literally numerous solutions to your problem and some of them have been posted above. Tech 21 character pedals or the FlyRig; any multi-effects processor from Zoom, L6, Boss etc.; your favorite pedals into a Two-Notes Torpedo CAB; Axe-Fx; Amplifire...Read up in the Digital & Modeling section of the forum, most of these are discussed there.

19. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The modeling option is excellent, but if the venue can't provide a decent backline, what are your monitors going to sound like? That will be your guitar sound.

20. wpawley

wpawley Member

You can go cheap for a Modeler (say, and Eleven Rack and Ground Control Pro in a rolling Luggage type case) and have all your tones every time you play live or go to a studio. Plug it direct to FOH and be done. You will have everything in a small package, easy to transport on a train, plane, boat, or automobile. Or, you can go big time and get an Axe-FX II, get more bells and whistles, use the same GCP with it. But, you can buy 2 or 3 11R's for the price of 1 Axe-Fx II.