unknown guitarists on cover of "major" music mag?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sahhas, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sahhas

sahhas Member

the other post of "great guitarists of last decade" got me thinking about:
    which unknown guitarists have been shown on the cover of a major music mag.
    sad thing is a lot of music mags have gone under in the last few yrs...
    the only ones i can think of:
    1.david torn was on cover of "electronic musician" in mid-80s when "cloud about mercury came out. don't know exact timeframe, but in another interview yrs later, DT said he was pretty unknown to be on cover.
    2. eric johnson was on GP cover in mid 80s (86?) before "tones" came out (this is what someone mentioned in the other post)
    3. danny gatton on cover of GP in 89.

has there been any others? i was just curious. i know the debate of music mags as of late is they have to attract readers, so they go w/ the "safe" biggies to attract...
    and the sad thing i will say, most interviews i read of folks in mags, i don't usually head out to buy the disc, not like i did in the 80s/90s....
    s---
    www.myspace.com/scotthansen

2. Neer

Neer Member

Funny, because that Mar. '89 Guitar Player with Gatton had a big feature on the greatest unknown guitarists. It was a very interesting article. Also, recently I was looking at the Mar. '86 issue with Billy Gibbons on the cover and he named 10 Unsung Greats. Ray Gomez was one of them, as was Sol Hoopii.

3. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

They need to do more of this. I'm sick to death of seeing Zakk Wylde and Slash on the front of guitar mags.

4. Neer

Neer Member

Well, I haven't looked at a GP issue of the last 20 years, but they sure did a nice job in the 60s through 80s profiling working guitarists in all facets of the business, from teaching to sessions, to what have you. The beautiful thing is, up to some point in the 80s, GP included Bass, Pedal Steel and Dobro and stuff like that. Shame they lost that.

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I think that in the last year, GP maybe has had 2 artists in the cover who are younger than 40.

6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I'm the guy who brought up EJ in the other thread, and I can't think of any "unknown" who has been on the cover of GP in 20 years. In 1989, I wrote GP a proposal letter about a free-lance interview I wanted to do with Jason Becker, who lived relatively close by. Never got a response. And Becker never got ANY recognition from GP until he had ALS and Shrapnel released "The Raspberry Jams" in, I believe, the very late '90s. Then he got a record review. Too little, too late. Greg Howe got a record review of his Howe II vocal album (with his brother) in 1989, and then had to wait almost TWENTY YEARS before he got any love from GP, and that was ONLY because the guy who won GP's 2007 Guitar Competition raved about Greg when they interviewed him after he won the contest. GP could EASILY have splashed Guthrie Govan on the cover after "Erotic Cakes" came out, but I don't think they even reviewed the CD. So, instead, we get a continuing diet of Satriani, and Vai, and John Mayer on the cover, along with the other 8 guys they love to pimp. It's a very sad state of affairs, because GP used to be a magazine that mattered, and would take some chances. Now, no way.

7. sahhas

sahhas Member

wow, it's sad to think that the 3 appearances of "unknown" guitarists (listed above) on major music mags happened in the 80s....granted in the last decade has been the fall of record co's and the machine to back bands like they did long ago, so more bands are probably more localized and going small market and surviving (hopefully?). you would think w/ more people who are more independant (either on small labels or really releasing music on their own) would be profiled more in the mags...but then i guess w/ downfall of music co's also means downfall of music mags....oh well , a bummer....
    although i will have to say that in GP a yr or so ago was a big cover story(& one of the better recent GP articles) on allan holdsworth, and i would imagine since his career has been pretty low key w/ few releases in the last 10 yrs, to the new/young readers of GP that might have seemed like a "unknown" on the cover....oh well....
    s---
    www.myspace.com/scotthansen

8. telelion

telelion Member

Truthfully, some of the guitarists on the cover of GP these days are unknown to me. Trouble is, I don't want to know them.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

too true, scott;
    craig anderton (the editor, at that time) really took a risk,
    & followed his instinct.
    he came to hear the full band play
    --- myself, mick karn, bill bruford, mark isham ---
    in frankfurt germany, and kinda flipped out..... in a good way.
    i'm still grateful for that attention; it was sincere & kind,
    and i took it quite seriously.
    i've had a few "minis" on GuitarPlayer's cover and a few very nice features
    (along with 3 Readers' Poll wins),
    but have never truly been the "cover story".
    so it goes, sometimes!

but, it's understandable:
    i'm not in the mainstream (except in hollywood), though
    --- i'm still seen as "outside"/"alternative" ---
    and the only mainstream-"hits" i've ever had were with more mainstream & celebrity-status artists.
    and, i rarely play publicly, anymore..... just a few weeks of touring, per yr.

i think it's considered quite risky to feature unknown (or, relatively unknown) players
    on guitar-ing magazine covers: sales, of course.
    i know that GP tries to do it.....
    ..... they were very honestly excited when nels cline joined the platinum-selling wilco,
    for example,
    as it gave them a slightly less-risky chance to feature him on the cover.

dt / spltrcl

10. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Member

They put Junior Brown on the cover in the '90's or early 2000's. He was by ang large a total unknown at that time.

I think GP should put the real king of unknown guitarists on the cover.......Unknown Hinson!! Yeah Baby!!

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Omar Rodriguez Lopez is on the cover of GP this month. While not "unknown", it is a breath of fresh air.

12. Russorama

Russorama Member

Breath of fresh air you say? I was like "who the F is this guy"? Mars Volta? WTF is that? Danny Gatton, on the other hand, was a god.

13. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I agree with you, but Zakk and Slash sell more mags than Danny Gatton does.

14. seiko

seiko Member

Hmmm, wonder why GP finds it risky to put new(ish) players on the cover? :D

15. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

The all-time low was the Meredith Brooks cover. One crappy Alanis Morissette rip-off song, and she gets a cover?

The John 5 cover was pretty hilarious, too. Mainly because every ad also featured him endorsing something. What did he do, one record with Marilyn Manson?

16. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I'd hardly put John 5 in that category. He is a killer player and has been on a lot of people's records. He is very in demand despite what he looks like.