Unleash Sensitivity

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I thought I'd jump on the Unleash bandwagon and noticed something odd :).

I've got a 30W amp that I can play at TV volume when the master is on 1.

I hook that amp up to an Unleash and set the sensitivity to where the LED just flashes.

I set the amp master to about 1/4 volume (to 3). In order to get TV volume out of the unleash I need to just tweak its channel volume to 1 (barely move it away from full off).

I would have thought the Unleash channel volume would be designed to be set higher to attenuate only 30W to TV volume...

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guessing here but humour me.
The Unleash is an Att'r/reamp (I haven't seen one) but common practice would be to run your amp into the att'r, raise the signal level to 'normal' ( LED on) to reduce the noise floor and gain requirements as it enters the pre of the reamp in the Unleash.
I would expect any amp fed in, at any level would have its signal normalized by the pad (like a PA) so it makes NO difference to the reamp and you simply adjust the volume level as a master control.
Right?:phones

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Could be... The Unleash is supposed to be able to both attenuate high output amps, and amplify low output amps.

I've typically used an Ultimate Attenuator in the past. But I'm now remembering that the UA has a "bedroom" switch to attenuate high power amps to TV volume. I'm thinking the Unleash can't do that much attenuation, which means it's not that useful to me.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I guess the big question is "how quiet has anyone made a large (>50W) amp with the Unleash"?

LPV

I guess the big question is "how quiet has anyone made a large (>50W) amp with the Unleash"?
The input wattage doesn't make any difference. You can make them as quiet as you want right down to zero db. But the question really becomes when does a 100w amp (or 30,50...) stop sounding like a 100w amp ? My unleash sounds really great with my 100w but I never try to get to TV volume. It can do it but it stops sounding like a big amp before that point. It works great with smaller amps because they sound more like themselves at lower volumes. Apparently running an EQ in the loop really works out allot of the frequency issues. This is a 5w SE amp at 67db. Very quiet in the room. You can hear the strings.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
The input wattage doesn't make any difference. You can make them as quiet as you want right down to zero db. But the question really becomes when does a 100w amp (or 30,50...) stop sounding like a 100w amp ? My unleash sounds really great with my 100w but I never try to get to TV volume. It can do it but it stops sounding like a big amp before that point. It works great with smaller amps because they sound more like themselves at lower volumes. Apparently running an EQ in the loop really works out allot of the frequency issues. This is a 5w SE amp at 67db. Very quiet in the room. You can hear the strings.

So you're saying that lowering the Unleash volume with a 100W amp below a certain point results in tone loss? Unless it's because there's less power getting to the speaker I'm not sure how that can happen since the Unleash is just a solid state amp that "should" reproduce the input signals at almost any volume.

BTW can you tell me the Unleash setting in your vid (they're hard to see)? It looks like you have yours set higher for a 100W amp than I had mine set for a 30W amp. Maybe my speakers are more efficient...

The 100 watt Marshall will easily put out over 150 watts when cranked up.
I didn't think the Unleash could handle that much input.

BTW, I'm really liking the Unleash, all my amps can be dialed in to their sweet spot without ear bleeding levels..can really experiment now and I'm finding the master turned up high isn't always the best tone.

LPV

So you're saying that lowering the Unleash volume with a 100W amp below a certain point results in tone loss? Unless it's because there's less power getting to the speaker I'm not sure how that can happen since the Unleash is just a solid state amp that "should" reproduce the input signals at almost any volume.

BTW can you tell me the Unleash setting in your vid (they're hard to see)? It looks like you have yours set higher for a 100W amp than I had mine set for a 30W amp. Maybe my speakers are more efficient...
What I mean is volume plays a big part in perceived tone IMO. So the sound thins right out at lower levels and that's where an eq and a tiny bit of reverb would really help I think. That's not the 100w amp in the clip (yes it is powered up) , the swart on the floor is running thru the unleash so those are settings for a 5w amp.

LPV

The 100 watt Marshall will easily put out over 150 watts when cranked up.
I didn't think the Unleash could handle that much input.

BTW, I'm really liking the Unleash, all my amps can be dialed in to their sweet spot without ear bleeding levels..can really experiment now and I'm finding the master turned up high isn't always the best tone.
John said that 100w heads should be fine. I've been using it for 6 months with no issues.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Here's an example of why things are not the same at all volume levels.
Try it.
Use any rig, direct, mic'd re-amp..whatever, set up for recording and monitor through headphones. Make it sound good.
Change only the level of the phones...YOU change. Your perception. The psycho-acoustics are undeniable. You can manipulate the sound but there is no replacement for db's.
What hits the track is a different story as it is remanipulated, again, and context is huge.

dinglehopper

I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. the trim light on my unleash sets off with the trim adjustment barely off fully counterclockwise. I thought maybe my 50watt jcm was just putting out too much power (it was set with both pre and master halfway up), but the same thing happens with my ast set halfway up. have an email out to badcat, waiting for an answer.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. the trim light on my unleash sets off with the trim adjustment barely off fully counterclockwise. I thought maybe my 50watt jcm was just putting out too much power (it was set with both pre and master halfway up), but the same thing happens with my ast set halfway up. have an email out to badcat, waiting for an answer.

Let us know what you find out.

jbt7764

Hi guys. Sorry for the delay in replys. My email box is full of stuff needing my attention. We load in for NAMM on wed am.
As for the Unleash trim. It is really an LED that we arbitrarily set a value to flash on with a 100 watt amp all the way to the leaft and a 1 watt amp all the way to the right. Fell free to lower or raise it where you like the sound to be. You can't hurt it. The limiting circuit protects the input very well. You should be able to get your 100 watt rig down to TV level..

dinglehopper

As for the Unleash trim. It is really an LED that we arbitrarily set a value to flash on with a 100 watt amp all the way to the leaft and a 1 watt amp all the way to the right.
Hi John,

thanks for the response. the trim light goes solidly on at just off fully counterclockwise on the trim knob with my swart ast at 5/10 volume. can't be much more than 10-15 watts at that point. i understand about your time commitments at this time, btw. no rush on answer.

cheers