Unloaded Extension Cabs?

RJT

Looking for unloaded extension cabs.. Came across Sourmash, Seismic, Avatar, one or two others. Avatar is a hair too spendy, Seismic from what I found gets bad reviews, and Sourmash doesn't make a 1x12 or 1x10 according to their site. My budget is up to $200. What would you recommend? A Line 6 DT25 will be sitting on top of this, so it has to be 21" wide.

amphog

It can be cheaper to buy a loaded cab, and sell off the speaker, MF, etc., blow stuff out all the time.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for unloaded extension cabs.. Came across Sourmash, Seismic, Avatar, one or two others. Avatar is a hair too spendy, Seismic from what I found gets bad reviews, and Sourmash doesn't make a 1x12 or 1x10 according to their site. My budget is up to $200. What would you recommend? A Line 6 DT25 will be sitting on top of this, so it has to be 21" wide.
Sourmash will make anything you want them to I believe.

I haven't seen on, but I would think if you go unloaded, Seismic should be okay.

Looks like Lopo Line has been bought out, but they may be able to help too.
http://www.mojotone.com/cabinets

This might be looked down on a bit, but I've got a couple spare 10's laying around.... I was thinking about hitting pawn shops & finding a beat down 2x10 of ANY variety. Take out the guts/speakers & use it simply as a frame/cab. MF had a Kustom 2x10 for $150, then I could do something else with the speakers/amp that came with it. If this sounds interesting to you, I'm sure you'd find plenty of options in the 1x12 camp.

tresspassor

Sourmash can make any cab you can think up. I had them make me a matchless spec. 1x12 extension, a 2x12 Gen 2 blues breaker extension, and a couple of custom spec. head shells. I think they just charged me ~$200 for the 1x12 and ~$220 for the 2x12. Great guys to deal with, and build quality that's on par with Avatar stuff.

kiki_90291

1x10's are tough to find. Lopoline did them, but now that Mojo bought them, they don't seem to have very many options anymore. Also, most of the bulk builders (like Avatar) appear to use the same cab for a 1x10 as a 1x12, which for me kind of defeats the purpose, since I'd like a 1x10 to have something lighter and more compact. If I'm going to use a full size cab, I'd rather just have the 12" speaker . . .

I'd love to check out an Ear Candy cab - they seem to have some really good compact options, but apparently they are a real crapshoot to deal with.

I can't get the Cab Guy site to load. any other suggestions?

RJT

I think I'm just going to end up building one, honestly. I already have black tolex and grill cloth laying around from when I restored a buddy's cab. I should have enough.. If anything, I'd need to get more grill cloth. I guess I'll go with a 12" cab, as I have 5 unused 12s laying around.. 4 are G12T75s from an old Marshall 4x12 (JCM 800 cab) that I did speaker upgrades for, for someone. Took them as pay. The 5th is from a Blackheart 1x12 cab, that I loaded an EV into. I'm probably going to make it a widebody 1x12. Usual height and depth as a standard 1x12.. And about 22" wide.

joebor

Seismic's 2-12 contemporary was just fine for me, and was something like 114.00 shipped. Don't know about a 1x10 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Topics