Unofficial Pickup Directory

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneflowers, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

I don't know about the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup looks like a DiMarzio X2N Power Plus

edit:IBZ USA C2 in the neck (It says so on the cover), which is an Ibanez pickup that may or may not have been OEM'd by DiMarzio...

veritechc likes this.
  2. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    MrKite89 likes this.
  3. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thanks! :)

Since you tried so many pickups, just out of curiosity, did you ever compare an original PAF to a Tim Shaw "PAF"?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

I've got a set of Shaws in one of my Lesters and I don't think they have near the chime of the original PAFs. They are nice on their own account, but I think its apples and oranges as far as winds and materials go...

5. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thanks for your opinion, I know they're not "vintage correct" in construction, I was wondering more about tonal differences...so you think they're quite dull in comparison? Even with 500k pots? I have a set in a Les Paul Heritage 80-Elite, with stock 300k (volume) and 100k (tone) pots and I think they sound spectacular into a cranked vintage amp: Marshall (instant Whole Lotta Love), treble boosted AC30, cranked tweed Champ, Ge fuzzes...those kind of sounds are perfect, it's a muddy guitar with tons of FX (modulation etc...) though...
    They're obviously different pickups, but I always hear good tones when I play them! :)

6. Raidermofojeff

Raidermofojeff Member

Cool thing to do, but cable capacitance tends to bring on a loss of highs and mids..... Useful for taming a trebly guitar or amp..
    The type pickups I don't like (generally hot ones) have the opposite problem. they lack highs and mids!
    As I get old as hell, I'm starting to actually use my guitars tone control........Amazing device!

All my cables are Canare GS6 that I made myself....... They do actually have a higher capacitance than much that is out there these days......Though I'm sure miles from a vintage coily cable.

7. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

8. louis

louis Supporting Member

Ah!!.........I'm glad I see an asterix on Gotoh's name , I just installed a set of VH-1 on a $200 Strat and it turned it into a singing Monster !!:)

9. drummer

drummer Member

I still love the gibson 490r and 498t combo the most. Thats what they put in the LP customs and various others

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  10. eljodon

eljodon Member

I love the PRS 59/09 pickups. I have them on 2 of my main guitars and my 2012 PRS Custom 24. They have the right amount of top end and output. They work well in a split coil mode also.

11. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

Do you also list where these pickups are manufactured?

12. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

So can I be the lame guy who has all of you guys be my prosthetic brain?

I know I like the Pearly Gates as a neck pickup. And I know I like the Godwood set (which I just noticed, my computer always wants to correct to 'Goodwood')

I'm building a project guitar that will have two HB's and a piezo bridge.

What else is out there that is in the same sonic neighborhood as those?

13. Hugo13

Hugo13 Member

this list not robust enough.
    do over.

14. Warlag

Warlag Member

I have been looking at David Allen P.A.F pickups lately, the P51 Mustang Set and the Tru 59 Set, mostly the P51 Mustang are interesting me and the video clips I seen sounded really nice. Was also looking at the Lindy Fralin True P.A.F and they got my eye also. I'm mostly trying to decide between the P51s and the Lindy Fralins, but I didn't completely rule out the Tru 59 either. My les Paul has coil taps also and I'm hopping to keep them in it. Are the Lindy Fralin splittable? I believe they need to be 4 conductor to split. If anyone can give me some feedback on these pickups to help me decide I'd really appreciate it!

15. Warlag

Warlag Member

I was just looking at the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Set and was pretty impressed by them also... I never really considered DiMarzio, always thought of them for more of Metal type stuff. If you can give me some feedback on them also I'd appreciate it! So much to try and choose from! LOL

16. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Never tried them...

I hate Dimarzio pickups...

Both P51s Mustangs and Fralin Tru59s come with 4-conductor leads... so, splittable.

My preference would be the Mustangs... David is a really cool guy and easy to work with, so get in touch with him and let him know exactly what you want and he will hook you up.

Warlag and justabubba like this.
  17. Warlag

Warlag Member

Thanks duaneflowers ! The Mustangs are the ones I was feeling the most too but never spoke with anyone with experience with David Allens. I've read some of your other previous posts and when it comes to pickups you seem to know your stuff and got lots of experience with different ones, so reading your opinions can go a long way for me and really help! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

duaneflowers likes this.
  18. Papawooly

Papawooly Member

Stellar Pickups (San Jose, CA) Josh Perkins (CB Perkins Guitar) making these in limited supply

19. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member