Unofficial Pickup Directory

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneflowers, Mar 25, 2016.

1. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

2. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

Not yet, but I'll have vids up in the pickup section when I do. Which should be within the next few weeks. The Rocket are going to be higher output than I normally play. So that will be a fun challenge/approach. The Pariah will be PAFs.

3. Captain Martin

Captain Martin Member

Hi, I need help. I have a 2016 les Paul studio. 498 and 490. Muddy neck and shrill tinny icepick bridge. I need replacements and I'm looking at fralins and kinmans. What I'm looking for is a versatile pickup that has great cleans and will still sound good dirty. Clear sounding like a good strat pickup but that still has balls if I'm feeling like playing heavy.

I'm not particularly looking for something vintage. It can be a modern pickup but I need it to be able to be split not tapped. And the split sounds need to be on point. Help please.

4. Warlag

Warlag Member

I heard the Suhr Thornbuckers are really good when it comes to splitting.. I'd check some videos of them and see what others think too.

5. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Anyone have any insight into the Josefina Campos pickups?

6. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

I just posted a video in the Pickup demos of the Rocket Guitar pickups. The bridge is pretty HOT! But, for a modern rock player, They would be a cool choice.

7. dattoboy1

dattoboy1 Member

@duaneflowers

Not sure if this question has been asked, but what are your experiences like with using the same pickup in different guitars? Do the various timbers change the tone much or is it just a myth?

8. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    They definitely change from guitar to guitar... since pickups are in essence just microphones it would make sense that, since all guitars have their own unique sonic signature, that signature will be passed on to the pickups for amplification...

enharmonic and justabubba like this.
  9. Warlag

Warlag Member

I don't know if it's just me, I'd say a lot of you guys do this to I just never think of mentioning it to others... when buying a electric guitar new I like to see how it sounds not plugged in before I try it out plugged in... I find if it sounds good acousticly it's usually going to sound good plugged in.

enharmonic, Fuzzr and Visual Guy like this.
  10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Supporting Member

I'm happy to see that DiMarzio still makes the Dual Sound. I put one in the bridge position of my LP custom in 1978. One way sounds just like the stock pickup. The other way is dreamy. Everyone that I've let play the guitar wants to buy it. So sorry, Not for sale, lol.

11. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Supporting Member

Can I humbly ask to be added to the list? Been building guitars for the last 15 years, and recently decided to have a go at the pickup business.

Rainville Pickups - we're a two-man startup out of beautiful Toronto, Canada.

RYAN1987M and Visual Guy like this.
  12. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

...no Pete Biltoft?

Very good winder, really high-quality components and design/construction. I assume he's still at it...

Nice list...you young'uns ain't got no idea how lucky you is...:D

Fuzzr, guitarjjl and Visual Guy like this.
  13. guitarjjl

guitarjjl Member

Pete at Vintage Vibe is still at it. I ordered an SP90 for the bridge of my Strat, also a dog ear P90 and wiring harness for a 61 SG LesPaul Jr I restored to as near original as I could get it.

Great pups, high quality, and yet very affordable. They look so good it’s a shame to hide them under pickup covers.

Awesome customer service! He did the harness and included knobs for only 5 extra.... just the knobs I should clarify

Visual Guy likes this.
  14. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

you spelled wrongley wrongly ;)

15. stjimmy328

stjimmy328 Member

Hey there! Im looking for some new pickups for my les paul standard. I have whole lotta humbuckers in my les paul studio and they sound super fat. I was thinking bareknuckle black dogs, crawlers, nailbombs, or rebel yells (my buddy has a set and theyre amazing) or I was looking at Lace Dragonauts or Duncan's Slash Set. Im big into the stoner / Iommi worship deal.
    Thanks,
    Rick.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  16. Sarasin

Sarasin Member

I've a 03 LP with original Burst Buckers that sound great, don't Think I'll change them. My Collings had Lollar Imperials, now have Throbaks which I love.

Does anyone have experience with Abigail Ybarra Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups?

17. finnster

finnster Supporting Member

I just put a set of Sheptone AB’s in my LP. They are great. Apparently both Slash and Billy Gibbons use them. They are very reasonably priced too.

18. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Ddint see Timbucker by Tim white or do they not count because he no longer winds?

19. MikeyLHolm

MikeyLHolm Member

I'm looking for new humbuckers to replace Burstbucker Pros in 2014 LP standard (chambered for weight relief and has possibility for a coil splittage).
    I'm not really too picky person nor have I much xp from different PUPs in Lp. I find the overdriven tone fine enough for my current needs when volume is full but the coil splits arent workin for me.

I'm looking for hard rock and 80s heavy metal tones with decent cleans for live purposes. So splittable all-around PUPs capable of Lead, Rhythm and cleans. Probably heaviest tones I need are around Lynch Mob "Wicked Sensation" lvl. I do love aggressive leads a'la Jake E Lee and tones from Slash, Moore and Sykes to 80s Priest. Also Im running quite mid-heavy tone.
    And passives ofc.

Soaring/harmonic lead tone, brightish cleans. For rhythms i tend to use plenty of 3 string chords from DGb-strings with pedal tones from lower strings inbetween. So somehow it needs to be clear and dynamic too.

So Im thinkin about some PAF style pups and just crank the amp with boost if needed instead. Seth lovers/Lollar imperials/dimarzio 36/what about 59', dirty fingers, JB etc?

Sorry for my long ramblings, hopefully someone can get idea what i'm after. Maybe I should've created an own topic for this.

-Mikey

20. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Pretty hard to find Humbuckers with good coil split sound imho especially in a singlecut. I'd probably pick some humbuckers that are a tat hot so that you get decent impedance when you do the coil split. I've always liked Wagner, Lollar and Rio Grande pick ups. Although truth be told I haven't tried many many of the newer winders.