Unofficial Pickup Directory

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneflowers, Mar 25, 2016.

1. MikeyLHolm

MikeyLHolm Member

Yeah.. I don't expect any Fender chime from LP but i feel the current pups have awful cleans, so even Ok clean tone is good enough for now. Tho some pickups that clean super well could perhaps do the trick also. Distorted tones are far more important. Local stores I'd rather support have some Lollars and BKPs on top of the usual SD/Dimarzios, so i guess that range would be good place to start. Next time I can expand when i have more experience with another set of pups on LP. So if I can improve both clean and distorted tones I should be happy with the new set.

2. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

You might try putting the coils in parallel. I do that with a mildly hot pickup (11K ohms winding), and it sounds a lot like a Tele bridge pickup...

3. Denso

Denso Member

I absolutely fell in love with the split coil sound of Dimarzio Super 2s. Best single coil sound from humbuckers I've ever heard. In humbucker mode they are fantastic for 80s stuff as and always cut through the mix as they have pronounced upper mids and highs.

4. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

Stonewall Pickups
    StonewallPickups.com
    Made in New Hampshire by Scott Miller. Great vintage pickups!!!

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Take a look at Zhangbuckers with David’s “splat” option. :aok

MikeyLHolm likes this.
  6. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I have a Gibson ES-355 with Lollar Low Wind Imperials installed.
    I find them to be a little to mellow and warm for my taste as I am more of a single coil guy.
    I previously had the Reg Wind Imperials installed in a Gibson 335, and liked them, but that guitar was stolen.

Any suggestion on something with more "acoustic" and bright qualities?
    Im not a blues player. I don't fancy anything Gibson Classic 57 style.

Thank you for your help.

7. The Real William Gelvin

The Real William Gelvin Member

enharmonic, LeicaBossNJ and Droliver like this.
  8. Droliver

Droliver Member

The idea with the Gelvin PUP makes so much sense to me as Will presents it. I’m surprised no one has been interested in liscencing that to this point.

9. Warlag

Warlag Member

I’m really interested in the Zexcoil Z series pickups... I heard a vintage hot set and it had such a beautiful unique sound.. Anybody know of any other pickups that are relatable in sound? They seemed to remind me some of the lace holy grail pickups. Was also checking out the Seymour Duncan Psychedelic set and thought they great too.. it’s almost the sound that comes to mind when I imagine the sound of a strat. The zexcoil got my main interests so far though! Thinking on putting them in Jeff beck signature strat.

Zexcoil likes this.
  10. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Please fix (my favorite pickup builder) David Budz address in your post. It's:

https://www.budzguitars.com

11. Stratmagik87

Stratmagik87 Supporting Member

What would you say is the best value PAF pickup or company out there? I'm always intrigued by those companies that can ship "boutique" quality at not-so boutique pricing. Thanks!

12. MikeyLHolm

MikeyLHolm Member

I ended up with SD JB in bridge and SD Pearly Gates in neck. Just recently changed 'em but so far so good. Love the PG in neck. Far from dark and boomy. And JB just seems to deliver in my preferred mid-heavy 80's tone.

Denso likes this.
  13. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

What do people think of the Lollar Blondes Flat Pole versus the Staggered Pole? I'm thinking of putting a set in my American Standard Strat w/9.5" radius. I'm hearing that the Flat Pole is a better choice unless you have the vintage (7.25") radius...

:confused:

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

Have a set of Monty's PAFs on the way.:banana

Warlag likes this.
  15. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

I am planning on doing a restore and refinish on an old Melody Maker. Of all the Melody Makers that have upgraded electronics I have heard online, it seems to me that the ones with mini humbuckers sound the best. Could someone please give me a general view of how mini's and P-90's compare to each other?

Thank you.

Michael

16. CCG

CCG Member

Has anyone ever tried Warehouse Guitars 1957 HOLY-GRAIL HISTORIC PAF HUMBUCKERs? They make great speakers but no experience with their pick ups and I can't really find any details other than their site but the look like they are exactly what I'm looking for at a really reasonable price.

https://wgsusa.com/1957-holy-grail-historic-paf-humbucker-set

17. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Man, I think I'd better get to the bank , get me myself a huge loan and start trying (or: sniffing) all these them Pickups, y'all.

;-)

18. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Perhaps try a search @ Vaughn Skow, some reviews might pop up.

CCG likes this.
  19. CCG

CCG Member

thanks!

20. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Using Rumplestiltskins and Leosounds and Haeussels in my Strats

Leosounds and Creamery in HB guitars