Unofficial Pickup Directory

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneflowers, Mar 25, 2016.

1. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

2. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Chris @K-Line is winding his own pickups now that are listed on his website.

candid_x and K-Line like this.
  3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

4. Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT Member

I guess this is the thread to ask.

I picked up a cheap Epi Dot today and it's MIC. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for pick-ups that would be an upgrade. I've actually never owned a guitar with humbuckers even though I've been playing for 25 years. Already sounds good but I know that some nice hand-wound vintage replicas can make a big difference.

Thanks for any advice!

5. JRzoidz

JRzoidz Member

Artec Hex 7...it's not Overly Wound. But some...it's just ok. I think it sounds like a Duncan wannabe. like 16k or something like that....

It's sounds like Ferrite atomicness. absolute high creation that axe lol.

6. zowenso

zowenso Member

I’ve been thinking about trying some new pickups in my 1999 LP Classic. I have a Gibson 490 and 498 in there right now. I’m actually kind of afraid to even start looking into this world, especially after seeing that list of companies in the first post. I love the sound of original PAF Les Pauls, 58/59 era. I’d want aged nickel covers since my guitar is aged a bit. Can anyone make this easy for me? lol

7. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

8. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Sure, Seymour Duncan Antiquity

big mike, Mincer and zowenso like this.
  9. stark

stark Supporting Member

10. BrownNotes

BrownNotes Supporting Member

Got some Proto pickups about 5 years ago in my LP, custom PAF in the bridge and P90 in the neck. Going from always-dead EMGs to those pickups was a revelation, absolutely love them.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

I put Fralin Split Blades in my Reverend 6 Gun, same single coil tones but without the nasty hum.
    Put a Kinman Zero Hum P90 in my Reverend Double Agent and it absolutely growls, very impressed.
    Now if I could just decide what to use to replace the somewhat lifeless Fender Noiseless in my 94 Strat. Been tempted to simply buy a loaded pick guard, but not sure who to buy it from to get the best quality and workmanship.

Warlag likes this.
  12. Warlag

Warlag Member

Funny, I’m trying to decide what to replace my fender hot noiseless pups with in my Jeff beck signature strat. I was thinking about putting the same wiring as the American deluxe/American elite strats with the s1 switch.. Is there any certain specs I need to make sure the pickups I choose have? For example, does it need to have a certain amount of conductors on the pickup for that kind of wiring?

13. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Rübezahl Tonabnehmer (http://ruebezahl-tonabnehmer.com/) in Germany makes great stuff at very reasonable prices, I recently had them make a David Gilmour style set for me and install it into my 1973 Stratocaster. Bridge single-coil has two outputs, regular and hot. You can hear them in action in this vid:

StenneG and Warlag like this.
  14. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

I know, I know. Late to the party....
    But I have one of these as well, and the first and best advice with these OEM Pickups is simply lowering the height. If I had done this right from the start, I maybe wouldn't have changed the PUs at all. They are PAF style with AlNiCo V magnets and really can sound decent.
    If you don't care too much about AlNiCo vs Ferrit, the DiMarzio Bluesbucker is a great fit for the neck position, but I didn't like it in the bridge. I guess the well regarded Seymore Duncan '59 would be great in neck position and a step up compared to the OEM PUs.
    Finally I settled with a set from Jess Loureiro. A classic PAF model for the bridge (huge improvement, classic rock and blues sounds) and a special order, namely his take on the WideRangeDesign (magnetic pole pieces) but for standard Humbucker routing. Marvellous, articulate sound, that blends wonderfully with the bridge PAF in middle position. He should really make this set a regular standard of his.
    Btw. 50s wiring is huge improvement as well - but I'd do it with minimal work, because the original wiring is neat and the pots worth keeping. I'd just cut the cables and and do the change at the original pots.

15. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

I had an Epi Dot, made in Korea, that was transformed by some Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. A perfect fit for the Dot IMO.

Benderp and big mike like this.
  16. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I personally like and use Darkmoon pickups

17. Burnzy378

Burnzy378 Member

4seasons pickups. Guy in the Netherlands hand winds to your preference and type of wood/guitar etc.
    He just did me some based on fralins vintage hots, they are incredible! This is Brett Kingman trying a set out

Warlag likes this.
  18. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Wilde (Bill Lawrence) tele microcoils are the best pickups I've ever played.

19. Muller21Q5

Muller21Q5 Member

20. Andrew33

Andrew33 Member

Crap, I just bought these pickups. I hope they don't disappoint me. I wanted something noiseless with decent Strat tone.