Unofficial Pickup Directory

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
listed under Lindy Fralin.

Does callaham still offer pickups? Far as I know they were just cryo treated Fralin.
You are correct! (I didn't look under Lindy)
And yes I think they still offer them but they are Fralins. So all is well :)

ty

Funky54

As many of you who are familiar with me from other forums know, I am somewhat of a pickup connoisseur (over a hundred sets in my little collection as of right now) and I've been compiling a list of guitar pickup companies/winders for several years. I thought I would post it here, with links to their sites, for those interested.

With 328 entries, I believe it is the most inclusive list in existence, but in case there are any notable additions or corrections that I may have overlooked, please post them below and I will add them to subsequent lists as it is updated (I'm not sure how long I will be able to edit this one).

I've asterisked the ones I currently have installed and am happy to entertain questions about any of those.

Here you go...
First, I wanted to say thank you. This is a very comprehensive list and no doubt took a lot of time and investment to put together. I appreciate your sharing it to help others.

Second, I’d like to thank the mods for making it a sticky and contributing in the thread. I like seeing your opinions and participation. It makes the site more authentic and paints a broad picture of what the site should be about.

While I have played a few different pick ups they have always been in different guitars. I have never swapped pickups in the same guitar and compared the differences. So this is really interesting to me. Most of my experience, over at minimum 25 years, has been with the same PAF’s. I’ll probably never change. But I would still like to understand a few things.

When do you recommend low output humbuckers and when do you recommend high output? What is your personal philosophy for tone?
In today’s world, (at least in my world) where gig volume is really really low and amps have gone from 30-50 watts down to 15 watts and they’re still clean.. what do you recommend?

I’m asking, Rock context, 4 piece band, but 16 or 20” bass drum with blankets and cymbals with moongel all over, light sticks and bassists using less than 150 watts and no amps needing in any way to mic... Is a guy like me better off using low output to gain some power tube in his tone, or high Gain to get to some preamp crunch?

Currently I’m a clean amp with pedals guy just because of how quiet gigs have become.

I’d like to understand the options, pro’s and con’s of either path.

Cheers mate for the list as i'm in the market for some new ones for a strat i want to upgrade. Also being a patriotic Aussie i like to buy Australia made and have been using Kinman Noiseless PUPs in my Fender Strat, and man these things are awesome! Fenders ones are good! These are better though.

WDeeGee

Hi
Anyone have a pair of Ibanez SZ humbuckers lying around?
I kinda like 'em, though everyone seems to hate them.

WDeeGee

As many of you who are familiar with me from other forums know, I am somewhat of a pickup connoisseur (over a hundred sets in my little collection as of right now) and I've been compiling a list of guitar pickup companies/winders for several years. I thought I would post it here, with links to their sites, for those interested.

With 328 entries, I believe it is the most inclusive list in existence, but in case there are any notable additions or corrections that I may have overlooked, please post them below and I will add them to subsequent lists as it is updated (I'm not sure how long I will be able to edit this one).
Check out Axesrus. Killer!

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
First, I wanted to say thank you. This is a very comprehensive list and no doubt took a lot of time and investment to put together. I appreciate your sharing it to help others.

Second, I’d like to thank the mods for making it a sticky and contributing in the thread. I like seeing your opinions and participation. It makes the site more authentic and paints a broad picture of what the site should be about.

While I have played a few different pick ups they have always been in different guitars. I have never swapped pickups in the same guitar and compared the differences. So this is really interesting to me. Most of my experience, over at minimum 25 years, has been with the same PAF’s. I’ll probably never change. But I would still like to understand a few things.

When do you recommend low output humbuckers and when do you recommend high output? What is your personal philosophy for tone?
In today’s world, (at least in my world) where gig volume is really really low and amps have gone from 30-50 watts down to 15 watts and they’re still clean.. what do you recommend?

I’m asking, Rock context, 4 piece band, but 16 or 20” bass drum with blankets and cymbals with moongel all over, light sticks and bassists using less than 150 watts and no amps needing in any way to mic... Is a guy like me better off using low output to gain some power tube in his tone, or high Gain to get to some preamp crunch?

Currently I’m a clean amp with pedals guy just because of how quiet gigs have become.

I’d like to understand the options, pro’s and con’s of either path.
Just saw this so I thought I'd take a crack at it:

High or low output pickups really come to your personal playing style and how the rest of your rig reacts, as well as music style. I'm a blues/rock player, country, some cover top 40 stuff when I was gigging and I like versatility but knowing what I can do out of the guitar, will apply to anything. My main guitars are humbucker based. For that, I like a slightly dirty amp (Master volumes are a must) and different pedals for different overdrive levels. Can either clean boost the amp or stack as necessary. Sometimes no pedals and cranked marshall (with master) so that's my favorite approach. I usually run a 8K/9K ish humbucker set. Medium for Paf style, so I know I can clean up with the volume control. I can add whatever at the pedalboard as needed for more push or heavier tones. I recommend a pretty balanced set neck and bridge for this approach.
Now were I using a channel switcher with a dedicated clean side, and no pedals, I might want a hotter pickup..or no pedal board, a hotter pickup to 'push' the amp into breakup harder.
Especially if one DOESNT ride the volume control on the guitar and just runs it full up, then the amp has enough to accomplish what you want.
Example, if I was using say a 50 watt EVH channel switcher, I'd probably run something like a Duncan 59/JB set.. still a good clean on the dedicated clean channel, but will push for extra thump and crunch in the lead side. No pedals.

Better off using one or the other, depends on your right hand style and comfort level.

Hope that helps. Pros and cons are more better thought of as 'which approach works better for you'.

For me, in most cases I could be fine with like a duncan 59 set and a coupel of drives/boosts into a hairy ish sounding amp I can back off with my picking and volume control.

back in teh day, it was barking channel switcher and a Duncan JB. Balls to the walls and switch for clean.

Funky54

Just saw this so I thought I'd take a crack at it:

High or low output pickups really come to your personal playing style and how the rest of your rig reacts, as well as music style. I'm a blues/rock player, country, some cover top 40 stuff when I was gigging and I like versatility but knowing what I can do out of the guitar, will apply to anything. My main guitars are humbucker based. For that, I like a slightly dirty amp (Master volumes are a must) and different pedals for different overdrive levels. Can either clean boost the amp or stack as necessary. Sometimes no pedals and cranked marshall (with master) so that's my favorite approach. I usually run a 8K/9K ish humbucker set. Medium for Paf style, so I know I can clean up with the volume control. I can add whatever at the pedalboard as needed for more push or heavier tones. I recommend a pretty balanced set neck and bridge for this approach.
Now were I using a channel switcher with a dedicated clean side, and no pedals, I might want a hotter pickup..or no pedal board, a hotter pickup to 'push' the amp into breakup harder.
Especially if one DOESNT ride the volume control on the guitar and just runs it full up, then the amp has enough to accomplish what you want.
Example, if I was using say a 50 watt EVH channel switcher, I'd probably run something like a Duncan 59/JB set.. still a good clean on the dedicated clean channel, but will push for extra thump and crunch in the lead side. No pedals.

Better off using one or the other, depends on your right hand style and comfort level.

Hope that helps. Pros and cons are more better thought of as 'which approach works better for you'.

For me, in most cases I could be fine with like a duncan 59 set and a coupel of drives/boosts into a hairy ish sounding amp I can back off with my picking and volume control.

back in teh day, it was barking channel switcher and a Duncan JB. Balls to the walls and switch for clean.
Thanks for the reply. I guess my approach was out of blind un-educated necessity. It was like here’s my guitar, here’s my amps... thirty years later nothing has changed except how I use that guitar and those amps. I have no idea how hot or mild my 1961 PAF’s are. I do know my 65 Country Gent is about 6 for the neck and almost 7 for the bridge. I know that’s really hot on the Filtertron side of things. Probably very mild in the world of paf’s.

I'm searching for a pickup similar to that of the Gibson Dirty Fingers, but I can't really justify spending the $145 to buy those. Any ideas of a cheaper alternative that will provide a similar tone? Any suggestion is helpful.