Unofficial Pickup Directory

RLP

Cool post, @duaneflowers! Thanks! And kudos for including DS pickups on there. They're good peeps and don't always get a shout-out.
Another great brand (for me at least) is Defter. The dude is great to work with and does an amazing job for an insanely good price. All hand-mande, with locally-sourced materials. I definitely recommend his strat pups (haven't tried anything else yet).
Nice of you to do this. Big help for us. In fact, I'd like to ask you a couple questions, if I may:
1-how different are D.Allen's stratcats and voodoos? What would you say are their strengths and weaknesses?
2- does BK have a scooped set?

Thanks again, mate.

Cheers

Last edited:

JohnSykes

Could you guys tell me about Suhr Aldrich neck? Decent cleans if you roll the volume down?

In a Singlecut type guitar, no coil tap.

FractalGarden

Could you guys tell me about Suhr Aldrich neck? Decent cleans if you roll the volume down?

In a Singlecut type guitar, no coil tap.

I had (well, still have, but it's not in any of my guitars now) the Aldrich neck pickup and found it wonderfully warm with gain and clean when the volume is down. Actually liked it a lot more than the bridge, which is typically revered by people. I may be afraid of sheep, but can vouch for this pickup.

RLP

I had (well, still have, but it's not in any of my guitars now) the Aldrich neck pickup and found it wonderfully warm with gain and clean when the volume is down. Actually liked it a lot more than the bridge, which is typically revered by people. I may be afraid of sheep, but can vouch for this pickup.
Your comment just reminded me of a very cool and small pickup company from the UK - evil sheep pickups. Their classic strat offerings are pretty solid. Played a strat with a set once and liked it. The hendrix set also seems very intriguing. I might give it a try. I was told he's really good at the whole pole piece mix and match thing...

Last edited:
Reactions: HTE

joebloggs13

Kinda partial to original PAFs...
Hi Duane, so how do the Monty's compare to other vintage PAF types? I also own a set, and am curious. I will never swap out the Monty's as i think they are fantastic, but am still wondering how they stack up, to say, the Fralins.:)

Last edited:

ultrasun

As many of you who are familiar with me from other forums know, I am somewhat of a pickup connoisseur (over a hundred sets in my little collection as of right now) and I've been compiling a list of guitar pickup companies/winders for several years. I thought I would post it here, with links to their sites, for those interested.
I've always been impressed with the Palir telecasters... It seems like they have the ideal tele grit, at least for my taste. They are equipped with Porter pick-ups. Could you share your expertise on those? I'm wondering what are the main differences with Don Mare pick-ups, and pick-ups from the Fender custom shop.
Thanks for everyone's input on that...

pfflam

Are you including old-school boutique builders who no longer make Pups?

I have a very rare and excellent TruetoneTechnologies, not the current 'True Tone' but the company once run by a guy named 'Benny Trevillian' All I could find of him these days is old posts on TDPRI, he posted there under Banbo, but last posted in 2014 ish.

BTW: I like the Tele Bridge pup he made for me superdoubleplusgood

Trending Topics