Unofficial Pickup Directory

crazyboutguitars

Supporting Member
I have a PRS S2 Singlecut.

It is a 2015.

I am not really happy with those pickups, as I am looking for a tone closer to what Nuno gets with his Bill Lawrence and SD59.

I know this make no sense, but his tone sounds very throwback and vintage to me, although he can push it into hi-gain.

Alternately, I really dig the Les Paul vintage tone.

I have two Tremoverbs and I have a Ceriatone Super Lead 100W on it's way.

I do NOT play with metal tones or even hi-gain, but am a little hotter on the gain side than vintage.

So where does that put me, or what can you suggest?

Thanks
I also have an S2 and the pickups didn’t cut it for me either. I put a set of bare knuckle mules in it and I use it a lot now for gigs. I honestly think a set of Gibson’57 Classics would’ve been a great improvement. I had an earlier S2 and actually liked the pickups in it. I don’t know what thy put in the one I have now, but they sounded a little lifeless to me. The Mules definitely brought it to life.

Greg_Delta

Can anyone recommend something like a JB but with less ferocity and a little more balanced? I've heard the duncan jason becker pickup is kind of a more "tame" or refined JB

Steviecaster

I caught that too, but decided to let it go. The Tele neck pickup has similar traits, but you’re right- they’re not the same.
Yeah, they're totally different. A Tele neck pickup is basically a Strat pickup with a cover over the top.
Lipstick pickups are a wire coil inside a tube. The design is completely different. No similarities, other than appearance.
Lipstick pickups read like 3-4Kohm.

Steviecaster

Cool post, @duaneflowers! Thanks! And kudos for including DS pickups on there. They're good peeps and don't always get a shout-out.
Another great brand (for me at least) is Defter. The dude is great to work with and does an amazing job for an insanely good price. All hand-mande, with locally-sourced materials. I definitely recommend his strat pups (haven't tried anything else yet).
Nice of you to do this. Big help for us. In fact, I'd like to ask you a couple questions, if I may:
1-how different are D.Allen's stratcats and voodoos? What would you say are their strengths and weaknesses?
2- does BK have a scooped set?

Thanks again, mate.

Cheers
Im a Strat pickup freak. I searched for the perfect scooped set for my #1 Strat forever. I found them. They're perfect. Instead of the standard switch, I used 3 toggles. I can do Tele middle position, and turn them all 3 on, which is ultimate quack. Also, the bridge is tapped. At full strength, it's fantastic with drive, so you get the best of both worlds. Its the John Mayer set by q_pickups. You can find them on Ebay. PM me and I'll give you a link. Just over $100, and smoke the $329 set I replaced with them.

Reactions: RLP

RLP

Im a Strat pickup freak. I searched for the perfect scooped set for my #1 Strat forever. I found them. They're perfect. Instead of the standard switch, I used 3 toggles. I can do Tele middle position, and turn them all 3 on, which is ultimate quack. Also, the bridge is tapped. At full strength, it's fantastic with drive, so you get the best of both worlds. Its the John Mayer set by q_pickups. You can find them on Ebay. PM me and I'll give you a link. Just over $100, and smoke the $329 set I replaced with them.
Thanks. I know Q, but never bought their stuff. Weird, since they're practically my "neighbors"... Just messaged you.

Cheers

davebratta

Hi, damn didnt knew there was hundreds of brands so far i have only bought a new set of pups once in my life, it was the dimarzio x2n for an rg 470 ibanez, i changed the v8 for the x2n and the sound i think is very similar, but maybe because i have never played the guitar on a full tube amp where those pickups are supossed to shine more,

GabbiCthulhu

What do you think about the Seymour Duncan Jason becker perpetual burn pickups?
I used to have one and it wasn't for me – too high output for what I was playing. But it was really good for that hot rodded '80s sound when I wanted to play that, I'll give it that! Had a lot of top end and clarity, which in at lower gain my Victory VC35 (Vox style) could come off as ice-picky, but that is because that amp is very susceptible to high end.

But, for a high gain pickup that isn't all compressed mush, it was really good for that! Not just for me – I changed to an Oil City Airship Trooper and couldn't be happier!

theon

Supporting Member
Have yet to try one but..
Allan, luthier/owner of Beardsell Guitars, crafts a stacked coil Charlie Christian hum canceling style pickup.

They are also available for purchase.

Attachments

Last edited:

gnrmadman

Anyone experienced Seymour Duncan P-Rails with the Triple Shot mounting ring? Looking to upgrade on a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe through a Line 6 Helix.

SimonBSinister

Silver Supporting Member
I am a pickup junkie and have boxes of different ones I have tried.... The one I find the best out of all of them are the 3rd Power MagFrags. I wish they were easier to get but they are about the best pickups I have ever used...