Unofficial Pickup Directory

Velvert

I ordered a set of Budz 10k Dano's set for my Tele. I just Spent most of the Covid time off work trying out Klein sets for my Strat, Tried a couple of sets with flat poles 57-63 and staggered 55's. Put the Klein 59's back in the Strat, guitar like 59's best. All the Klein pickups sounded great prefer staggered poles. Any one need a set of 57 or 63 Klein flat poles? PM me.

Jynx

I have Fishman Fluence on my guitars. I don't know if there are any more crystal clear pick-ups on the market, I haven't heard them anyway.

Of course being crystal clear means they don't have any character and I'm sure many wouldn't like them for that reason. As a predominantly digital player I find their clearness to be perfect. Having the input as clear as possible on the input, to me, is preferable so you can do what you want with it before the output.

Telejet

I have an Ibanez Jet King 2 with the Axis VII or Axis VIII pickup in the bridge. What would you guys recommend for a replacement as it has lost some of its tone. Remember that this guitar has coil splitting, and I should like to keep it that way.

I was thinking about a Pearly Gates have no experience with them. I like the idea that the stock "Axis VII (or VIII)" one does both LP/SG tones as well as a decent imitation of Tele-twang and Strat-quack type stuff while remaining true to its own unique character. Thoughts?

samuelson

any word on Tyson Tone pickups? I've sent them money for pickups two months ago and hear nothing. I email and hear nothing. soon going to file a refund inquiry with paypal but would rather just get my pickups.

samuelson

I have Fishman Fluence on my guitars. I don't know if there are any more crystal clear pick-ups on the market, I haven't heard them anyway.

Of course being crystal clear means they don't have any character and I'm sure many wouldn't like them for that reason. As a predominantly digital player I find their clearness to be perfect. Having the input as clear as possible on the input, to me, is preferable so you can do what you want with it before the output.
I have them in a Tele and the open core in a pre Tremonti and they’re great

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
I ordered a set of Budz 10k Dano's set for my Tele. I just Spent most of the Covid time off work trying out Klein sets for my Strat, Tried a couple of sets with flat poles 57-63 and staggered 55's. Put the Klein 59's back in the Strat, guitar like 59's best. All the Klein pickups sounded great prefer staggered poles. Any one need a set of 57 or 63 Klein flat poles? PM me.
I’m thinking long and hard about the 58’s. Did you try those along the way?

Velvert

I’m thinking long and hard about the 58’s. Did you try those along the way?
No, didn't try the 58. I found the 63 really hot and glassy with a tight bottom in the bass frequency. The 57 vary similar to the 63 but less tight in bass frequency. Ended up with a set of 55 epics, like them second best to the 59 set.

rmendozajr

Please add Auburn Electric Instruments to your list. Found Mark over on Reverb...he's a start up company but I've got his pickups installed in my strat and they are my favorite.

Finally got around to installing the Magneto Design Labs Sweet 57 set into my Epi Elite Les Paul standard. They replaced a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set - brilliant sounding, but a little muffled for this particular guitar.

The Sweet 57's are great for that crisp, open PAF thing. Uses AlNiCo 4 magnets and are a low wind. They compare favorably to the Wolfetones (a little brighter than) and the Lollar Low Wind Imperial set in my Rhoney Paramour. Overall, a great set to get close to some of that Dickey Betts mojo and really responds well to controls (my guitar has 50's wiring fwiw).

bard2dbone

Finally got around to installing the Magneto Design Labs Sweet 57 set into my Epi Elite Les Paul standard. They replaced a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set - brilliant sounding, but a little muffled for this particular guitar.

The Sweet 57's are great for that crisp, open PAF thing. Uses AlNiCo 4 magnets and are a low wind. They compare favorably to the Wolfetones (a little brighter than) and the Lollar Low Wind Imperial set in my Rhoney Paramour. Overall, a great set to get close to some of that Dickey Betts mojo and really responds well to controls (my guitar has 50's wiring fwiw).
I like that you answered my question before I could ask it. I heard a set of basically high wind PAF's from Missing Link Audio called a Mason Dixon set. They are specifically voiced to sound like one of Duane Allman's guitars. But they are wound to pretty high resistance, enough to sound amazing in a Les Paul. Unfortunately that makes them sound a little too brash in an ES-335 type. And that's what I need them for. So I was going to come here and ask for recommendations to low wind PAF-types to hopefully get that Duane or Dickey kind of sound.

robertkoa

Does anyone make a really phatt deep neck PU for an almost Jazz tone ( overwound maybe ) -
BUT also has the second coil with flat alnico mags so single coil is also phatt but narrow field ( true single sound , less bite OK but still punchy )
I don't like bright Pickups so could be medium high output in Bucker mode.

Thanks

Andrew33

I'm looking for a replacement humbucker for my Telecaster (Blacktop version HH). My agent at Sweetwater recommended the Pearly Gates. I was also considering the Friedman vintage or the JB4. The main thing I'm looking for is a tight sound when gain is high and low noise. Not looking for high output, and it must be passive. Thanks!

Driver 8

Any recommendations for a slightly higher output P90 dog ear for my 2019 Gibson LP Jr.? The stock pickup sounds pretty good but I’d like to try something a little hotter for a little more crunch. I’m really just a ham fisted chord banger.

ClickClack

@duaneflowers – You should also add Pete Malinoski to the list. In addition to his guitars, he also makes "gold foil" pickups that are humbucker-sized and NOT gold-colored. They look and (more importantly) sound fantastic. I had a pair installed in place of the stock HBs on my Eastwood Esprit Ultra guitar, with a mini-switch to let me toggle between series and parallel wiring — and the guitar just sings.

Last edited:

RenatoNYC

@duaneflowers - Surprised not to see Lollar pickups in that list. My two favorite guitars are strats (made by Iconic in California), one uses David Allen, they’re great and the other has Lollar Blackface, which are also incredible!

Trending Topics