Unopened 1976 Martin D-18 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Rockinrob86, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

I would not. This era is generally not good for Martins. There are exceptions, but in my experience, they are few.

3. royd

royd Member

what Ogre said... his guitar may have some collector value - as long as the box is not opened - but there are many guitars that would sound and play better for less money

it will be interesting to see what it goes for.

4. brianf

brianf Member

Probably sat in a 100 degree room that was dry as a bone. Open it up and you just bid on and won on a box of saw dust:eek:

brianf

5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

I just dont see what the point is in collecting something like that. It seems waaaayy too spinal tap esque.

On the other hand, it would be nice to find a bunch of 1940s or 1950s martin shipping boxes. "Yep, it has a '45 D-28 in there. I'll take 100 grand sir."

But the time capsule aspect thing is cool.

6. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Another thing to remember is that it's not generally the unplayed examples of vintage guitars that sound the best. Being played improves the sound of any acoustic instrument. You're better off to find an old, beat-upon example that's used to vibrating. Cheers,

Rob

7. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

:jo

OGRE your proably right about the Martin 70's Guitars era being generally not good. And ROYD you are correct about there being better guitars for less scratch. That being the case, the collectors will still be buying. Usually, a minimum 10% annum return can be a nice decision.

My 76 Martin D-18 isn't the best guitar around by a long shot.

MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE JUST LEFT IT IN THE BOX.:crazyguy

8. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

If you read the question/answer section at the bottom you'll see the seller is offering to let the buyer pick the guitar up and open it in front of him. If its not an untouched unbroken 1976 D-18 seller agrees to refund the money + $100 bucks.

I think it'll sell, probably not for more then 2600 though.

9. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Risk for reward?

10. GDking

GDking Member

Could be shattered in a million bits too.

11. T180

T180 Member

I promise my pedal board is complete (for today).
    My $0.02: The deal is probably legit. The shop I manage in the OKC 'burbs had some of these too. His story is a bit confusing - Driver burned in the mid '90's, and the owner had moved a lot of guitars sideways to several dealers before the fire. My memory is shot, but I think it was around '94 - we had sold the guitars by then, but the ATF wanted to see our receipt from Driver. I remember the agents intorducing themselves as "We're the Waco people!"

FWIW, the Martins we had (same vintage), were well kept and dead mint, but that was over 10 years ago now. I have a hunch who the 'local dealer/repairman' might be, and if so, it's probably the real deal.

Also, I agree with the comments regarding this vinatge as sub-par by Martin's standards :(

12. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

generally 70's, especially the late 70's martins were spotty tonewise. the earlier ones (pre-1975) were better, but not all were good.......hey, i've played a few 50's and 60's martins that were dogs too.

in the late 70's there was a strike at the martin factory and "management" was making the guitars for a while. most of management hadn't been on the production line for quite a while and the stuff they produced was quite awful. (a friend of mine worked at the factory as a consultant during the 70's). that said i have a 1977 D-35 that sounds like a Steinway. go figure.

as for the auction, that story sounds like something out of Jerry Springer.

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

This isn't too far from me, down I-44 about an hour.

I should go give it a good shake.