Unpotted Seymour Duncan '59s - your opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Krank, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Krank

Krank Member

I just came across this today, though forget the link, sorry. Apparently some US store gets them custom made at SD.

I'm looking at buying some '59s anyway, so thought I'd ask. They're for an LP Special, drop C# tuning and everything from western to metal.

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

If your going to do metal you may get some hellish squeal. I had some Lover's that were unpotted and when I would play hi gain it was pretty nuts. If I was in your camp I would go potted. Hope this helps some!!
    Ryan

3. Michael T

Michael T Member

I see no advantage to using an unpotted pickup. Granted it was the way 'back in the day' but that doesn't mean it was better than how things are done today.

Progress is a good thing and, in my opinion, potting is a good thing in pretty much every way.

4. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I like unpotted ones because they seem to speak more. But if you use any hi gain, it is a bad idea. There is not a huge difference, and you definitely would notice the squealing in a high gain situation. I dont use any pedals, just a tweed 5e3 deluxe cranked.

5. stark

stark Supporting Member

Unpotted have a much more open sound most noticeable in the high end. If you plug straight into your amp, no pedals, and use the volume knob for gain, this is the only way to go. Otherwise you have no choice but to use potted.

Adam Stark