Unsatisfied with amp line out IR recording guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dennwall, Mar 16, 2015.

1. dennwall

dennwall Member

Fellow TGPers, I seek your advice.

These are the facts:
    I live in an apartment.
    I have a Dr Z Route 66 and a few guitars.
    I have a Rivera Rockcrusher.
    I record from the Rivera line output into an Apogee One into Logic, using Redwirez IRs.

My opinion is that the tone I get is thin. I notice this especially when recording a clean signal. The milkshake tone of the Route 66 sounds more like skim milk.

I have a couple of ideas, but I'm skeptical and would like to hear your opinions. For those of you experienced in this area, what would you recommend?

1. Two Notes Torpedo Live. Does it preserve the tone of the amp?
    2. Speaker isolation such as Rivera's Silent Sister or Grossmans's SG-BOX.
    3. Your better idea here

Thanks!!!

2. Chappie

Chappie Member

I was in a similar situation....and honestly the best thing I did was buy S Gear.

It really sounds fantastic...feels very good and is fun to use and dial up different tones.

I was trying coax usable sounds from my Non master volume amp (KT 66 power tube) through a weber attenuator line out with IR's and it was not working.

S Gear solved the problem.

Good luck
    Chappie

3. dennwall

dennwall Member

Hi Chappie,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of S-Gear, but I read up on it today and it sounds promising. My past limited experience with amp sim software wasn't so great, so I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

How do YOU use it? Do you just plug direct into your interface, or do you have a DI or dedicated preamp?

By the way, I looked at some of your other posts, and I see we're both K-Line fans. I have a Truxton with Lollartrons.

Thanks again!

4. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

I was in the same situation recently. I tried the silent sister. Turns out not so silent., and didn't sound all that amazing to me. The two notes torpedo studio is what I got. It's incredible. Really digging it w/ ownhammer IR's.

5. vinceh

vinceh Supporting Member

Torpedo live is great. Not thin at all.

6. Chappie

Chappie Member

Hey there

when I run S Gear sometimes I plug straight into my interface...a Tascam us-1800. It's definitely not the best out there but it gets the job done more than adequately. Other times I will run my guitar through a few pedals first. Usually a wah and overdrive then into the interface and S gear.

Both ways sound great...The pedals MIGHT improve feel slightly...it's hard to tell for me. But both ways sound and feel very good. Is it exactly the same as running straight into a tube amp..no, but its the best option for me.

I did look at the more expensive two notes products but I don't have the cash available now ( daughter to college next year and son is a sophomore...cash gone! LOL)

oh...and I love my Springfield...Awesome guitar!! I'll get another K-Line someday...someday..

Have fun!

Chappie

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

How are you monitoring? If you are trying to track in real time while using the Redwirez IR plug-in you need a computer that is fast enough so you won't get any latency while tracking. You also need to make sure that you are not hearing the sound of the line out at the same time you are hearing the sound of the line out signal through the plug-in.

I use the Redwirez sometimes in my studio and get great results. In my setup I have a Motu 828MKII which provides (no latency) monitoring which means I normally don't monitor through my DAW. When I do use the Redwirez IR's and track with them live I need to set my system buffer so the input latency is very low. I can get it down to about 2.6 ms before it starts to choke. I also have to turn OFF the interface monitoring for that channel otherwise you will get phase cancellation and a fizzy sound if using any distortion.

8. mattball826

mattball826 Member