Untwang a Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scolfax, Sep 15, 2012.

1. memiller

memiller Member

No he didn't.

2. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

whoa there, hoss, that's just crazy talk

3. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Bite the bullet, sell the tele, get a strat.

No matter what you do, tele's got "twang"... it's what they do.

Any tele without twang is hardly a tele.

And a strat has all the great "in-between" tones.

M

4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't

I am a big fan of twang but it is not always warranted for the music I do.

This has worked very well for me. Strat and humbucker tones with some twang left over:

[​IMG]

Matt

5. facon

facon Member

Start from cheapest to most expensive. IMO Teles are really versatile guitars and easy to get the tone you want.

Free: Pick closer to the neck. Find the right tone configuration with the guitar and amp knobs. Give it a month to make sure it's not something you actually dislike, but something you're just not used to.

Super cheap: Try different picks. I was having a "too twangy" issue and my solution was switching from a 1.0 mm to a .86 mm pick. That's it!

Cheap: Try different strings. I'd recommend pure nickle like DR BURE blues.

More money: Try finding a pedal that thickens the tone. A lot of people like fat boost and Klons/Klones for this.

Expensive journey: Call up some pickup makers and get a recommended pickup.

6. b3john

b3john Member

Tell that to Clapton, Gilmour, Stevie, and Jimi (for starters).

7. tamader74

tamader74 Member

I had been a Tele. fella' for years,...But, never really 'dug' the stock bridge p-up myself with out rolling the tone knob off...ALOT!!!, I had an Illness a few years back that I'm still dealing with in alot of ways, and found that Strat.s were comfortable during that period to at least hold onto and try to play. Now, up till then I just didn't 'Get' the Strat. all the way...Just didn't sound or feel right,
    (sometimes the necks were most of the problem, they seemed thin to me), and tried many, bought/sold/traded them, and told most of the dealers I dealt with "to never sell me another one"...Flash forward about a year after I went into remission from my Cancer, and now I Love Strat.'s, and could care less if I ever own another Tele. (that's saying something for a guy that hasn't been without one for decades...LOL), I think the HSS configuration that I have now is even better yet. Bottom line on all of this is be true to you, if you don't like the Tele., Trade it for a Strat. (as popular as Tele.'s are now THAT should not be a problem), I recently picked up a PRS Artist CU-22 that is a perfect partner for/to the Strat., and between them both...I pretty much got all the sound/tones that I need AND love, and both are quite comfortable. Tom

8. dunara

dunara Member

Lots of 'alternative bridge pickup' suggestions. The one that did the 'de-twang' thing for me was the DiMarzio Pre-B 1.

9. p.j.

p.j. Member

Your tone pot is your best friend on a Tele. Roll it down for less twang. Flatwound strings are also an option.

PJ

10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Noiseless pickups will de-twang any Strat or Tele.

11. ultra

ultra Member

Like this

[​IMG]

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, Tele twang is much more than just a bright guitar. Twang is also a high mid/treble response to picking and fingering, and should not include the upper high end clang you often get with a Strat bridge pickup. A twangy guitar should have a slight element of warmth to the trebles as well.

I just went through an exercise to re-twang a Highway 1. On that particular guitar (very recent stock unit with rosewood fingerboard), installing a set of older Allparts brass compensated bridge saddles totally killed the twang. I was shocked at how big a difference it made, and it was not a good one. The factory steel saddles were perfect.

Also, while working with a few Line 6 HD modelers, certain stompbox models in front of certain amps would kill the twang as well. As I recall using a Tube Screamer model in front of the Rt66 model would de-twang it.

Strangely enough, a set of Elixir 9's killed the twang, it sounded much more like a Strat with those strings. Replacing these with GHS Boomer 10's brought back the twang, killed the bright clang and made it sound like a Tele again.

The pickups on the Highway 1 are supposed to be designed so the twang is balanced with roar, so it is harder to get twang out of it as compared with a more vintage Tele pickup. But when the amp, bridge and strings are correct, the bridge and middle pickup can twang for days.

I'd think putting a humbucker in one, even though that is a good sound, might take it too far away from Tele territory and kill some of the Tele's tonal uniqueness. If you want more of a subtle detwang, try different saddles (fat brass ones) and strings, and adjust the amp, and perhaps go for a slightly darker sounding single coil pickup.

13. Weathered

Weathered Supporting Member

I agree with lots of the people here about the Tele - you can untwang it, but I think getting a Strat tone is going to be a bit tougher than that. My default bridge pickup to get some guts from the guitar is the Duncan Vintage Broadcaster - despite what the description on the page says, it's got plenty of output and lots of guts. Sadly, still won't get you that Strat tone, it'll just shift the emphasis from the high mids to a bit thicker mids.

14. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Member

Seymour Duncan BG-1400. I've got it in both of my Tele's and it rocks.

15. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Untwanging a Tele is equivalent to neutering a champion, show-winning dog.

:(

16. b3john

b3john Member

Eww!

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Thank you...made my day. :beer

:banana:banana:banana

18. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Will this be a five-minute argument or the full half-hour?

[​IMG]

19. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

^This is good advice. If you're gonna keep the tele, that is.

20. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I got two strikes. I untwanged a Tele with GFS fatbodies and D'Addario Chromes!