• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

UNUGD - Vox SSC-33 - Unexpected New Used Guitar Day

Bonedance

Stopped by the pawn shop for a quick perusal. It's been a month or so since my last visit, so the pull was strong.

Nothing in pedals or amps. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a guitar with a gold top. As I saunter over, I'm thinking "probably an overpriced epi". Don't get me wrong as I really like Epiphone's, (I have an early model EL-00 acoustic and a very sweet 335 Dot Deluxe VS Limited Edition) but I see many in the used market with high asking prices.

Turns out it was a Vox SSC-33. I remember seeing these and playing a higher end model when they first came out. Not sure when that was, but I forgot about them until this morning. Since it was so darn pretty, (and the fact I love Gold Top LP's) I had to try it. Very nice neck....while it needs a set up, it was quite playable as it sat. It came with a very nice leather strap, so I tried it on. I'm used to (and comfortable with) the edges of a non contoured tele, but enjoyed the comfort the Vox's ergonomic contours provided.

The fact I'm very happy with my main instruments, attempting to sell the ones I have stashed away, give away a few to those in need and trying my best to not buy "another guitar", did not even come to my mind as I forked over $150.00. It came with a decent Vox gib bag, a Snark tuner and the fore mentioned vintage style leather strap. Since I was in a hurry and the store has a generous return policy, I didn't plug it in. I'm sure everything works properly though.

Anyway, I'm going to set this baby up, play the dickens out of it and see what shakes. In the 50 some years I've been playing, I've been blessed to (usually) have several guitars on hand. Despite that, I find myself loyal to one guitar for long periods of time.

When I actually began to learn how to play, I was lucky enough to come across my uncles 1957 Les Paul Special. In the late 50's and early 60's when the folk boom was going, he played a nylon string Goya and sang (beautifully, I might add) Rock Island Line, Tom Dooley, etc. He bought the special in 1965 as he was going to join a band, but the guitar wound up stored in my gramma's basement until I came upon it in 1969. that beauty remained my #1 until 1980 when my lust for a ES-335 led me the most amazing instrument, (and only new guitar I've owned!) a 1980 Ibanez AS-200. It was stolen 3 years later and I've never found another I liked as well. I digress.....and sorry for the long winded anthology.

Anyone experienced with this line of Vox guitars? The 'coaxial' pickups sound like a cool idea. I have no idea how it sounds yet, so looking forward to hearing from those who do.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
I'd definitely like to try one someday! They seem to be great bang for the buck and different from your normal F&G fare.

Bonedance

Picture coming soon. Spent an hour or so with it yesterday and really enjoyed playing it. The tones are very good. Quite unique, yet familiar. I still need to set it up, as the action is a bit too low for my taste, but it was quite playable as it sat.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Major league score at that price. Congrats on the killer deal! Cool pickups on those.

Trending Topics