up tempo country licks

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by guildchild, Feb 21, 2008.

1. guildchild

guildchild Member

so, i joined a (real) country band. i've done tons of alt/country/rockabilly etc, but i'm realizing that doesn't make you a true country player. i can get by with most of the material, but there's a few tunes that are just full-on country train beat at probably 150-ish bpm. i'm really struggling to get that "steady stream of 16th's" type of soloing to happen.

it seems like the fast train beat tunes require fairly long phrases...ie a lot of notes, being played pretty fast. i have tons of licks designed for 2 or 4 measure changes, but i'm running out of fluid lines too early. so i string together lick after lick....and it SOUNDS very obvious that i'm just playing lick after lick. not enough melody, not much to grab the ear etc.

anybody aware of an online lesson site that has some pretty long country phrases? i'm also open to books, but i'm moreso looking for something online (free/quick) that might work. i've got steve travato's book mastered (mostly) at this point...any other books?

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I ran into this problem too when I first started playing country. One thing that helped me was recording the progression at half time and jamming over it playing long 16th notes lines. Once I got comfortable there, I would bump it up about 10 bpm, over, and over...

I'd also say learn/listen to some Albert Lee, Brent Mason, and Brad Paisley. That should give you lot's of ideas....

3. gennation

gennation Member

I have a ton of stuff for you, and I show you the tools to come up with your own stuff: [FONT=&quot]http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/AdvPent/AvdPentTOC.htm

Read the Introduction then move onto over 50 lessons that include audio, tab, diagrams, explanation, and more. I cover quite a few styles but there's a lot of country ideas in the styles of Albert Lee, Pete Anderson, Ricky Skaggs, Steve Morse, etc, etc...

And yes, this is all absolutely free.

[/FONT]

4. JohnM

JohnM Member

Four words of advice - learn bluegrass fiddle tunes.

With that you learn the vocabulary...from there it's just a matter of adjusting the attitude/attack of the notes to fit what you're doing. If you're talking train beat stuff, bluegrass lines are the soup du jour.

As far as sources, search google for fiddle tunes...there are actually a ton of free sites out there that have tabs and all that.

Learning how to create on-the-fly melodies through a progression is easy once you have a grasp on the vocabulary of the style...it's just like speaking a language. I don't recommend just trying to learn a few quick licks to paste in...it's more about building good strong melodies that follow the chords. (like most fiddle tunes)

5. guildchild

guildchild Member

gtwiz,
    that's exactly what i've been doing. rc-20 to the rescue. it's definitely helping.

mike,
    there it is again. i had lost your site. you posted a response to another country question a while back and i worked on quite a bit of your stuff. there are definitely certain licks in my playing that are directly stolen from you. :BEER great site btw, and thanks for making it free. i'm looking for stuff that is like lick 26-28 but about 2-3 times that long. of course, i'm stringing things together, but i'm trying to avoid being blatant about it.

maybe i'm just frustrated cause i can't improvise over this specific genre / tempo. it'll get there.

thanks all.

6. guildchild

guildchild Member

that makes perfect sense. the guy i'm replacing is a buddy of mine who is moving to nashvegas. he's a phenom on fiddle and i'm sure that's where his lines are coming from. thanks...i'll google that.

7. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

You can try Doug Seven's site for the chicken-pickin type lines...he's got several inexpensive DVDs out.

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Bingo!

9. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Devil Went Down to GA has a good fiddle part transferable to guitar. There's a youtube clip of Keith Urban doing it except he throws boatloads of famous cover song riffs in the middle of it.

10. G-Let

G-Let Member

Thanks for the fiddle advice. I've had the same question as the OP and never received the fiddle response. Would anyone recommend a written resource such as the Granger fiddle tunes book?

11. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

Steve Kaufman's 'BLuegrass Guitar Solos That Every Parking Lot Picker Should Know'. There are four of them and each one is a book/6CD package that contain about 20 fiddle tunes in 3 versions.
    Version 1 is the melody, version 2 is an intermediate guitar solo on the tune and version 3 is an advanced solo. The pace is quick and you'll have at least one year of work on each of those. I only have vol.1 but so far I have about 7 or eight of the basic melodies down. These are a real workout for your alt picking technique, since Kaufman doesn't promote economy picking.
    Check them out @ www.homespuntapes.com

12. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Coping banjo lines works really well too.

13. gennation

gennation Member

What you probably, most likely, need to do is learn some songs. Try some of the 80's Dwight Youkum tunes. Pete Anderson has some great stuff, it's not the hardest to play once you learn it, but he can show you a ton of stuff for playing over that mostly Dominant flavored music.

In those Pentatonic lessons I have the Guitars and Cadillac solo tabbed out with audio. That will show you some great moves over a A, D, and E chord (I believe). Then just see what lines fall over what chords and make them portable by moving the same licks over other chord of the same type.

I'm a firm believer of taking something you already know and find as many ways to apply it. This will help you build and array of things you play and push into adding more to it.

Definitely take that suggestion to get a book on fiddle tunes. It'll will put you on a real solid path pretty quick.

14. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

+20