Upcoming Scofield recordings

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
Had a great interview with John Scofield this morning - I'll post a link when I've got it written up - and I asked him about upcoming recordings. He said in September he'll have an album of ballads coming out, with Larry Goldings, Scott Colley and Brian Blade. Around the end of the year, there's a 2 CD live set coming with Medeski Scofield Martin and Wood.

"It's some raw stuff," he said. "The boys can take it out. One tune is 25 minutes...."

I've had a couple brief exchanges with him over the years, but it didn't prepare me for how personable and engaging and enthusiastic he was in extended conversation. Always great - but not always the case - when one of your favorites is so cool and fun to talk with.

diego

Hey Martin, sounds like a great experience... thanks for sharing the experience and news...

seantk

Silver Supporting Member
I really like Scofield, been a fan since the Flat Out cd. The live stuff sounds cool, looking forward to checking it out. Thanks.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
Great to hear on all count. I really like Sco's work with MMW. They seem to rein in some of the Sco's more out tendencies -- which I'm sure some love, but which I find opaque and off-putting past a certain point. I seem to recall really enjoying an interview with him in GP a few years back ... he struck me as just a really interesting person and musician. I look forward to reading your interview with him.

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
I thought I heard that that ballads recording (or at least a straight ahead record) was slating for release this month....was that the case?

Cruz Azul

Wow - Larry Goldings, Scott Colley and Brian Blade...what a smoking band lineup.

Keen to hear the ballads album, would love to hear some of his funky stuff with that lineup too!

AlChuck

I was hoping he might do something with Robben Ford after their duo gig in NYC last December... did he say anything about that?

Last edited:

Lotus

I have the ballads cd too - it's beautiful! He has great tone playing the Two Rock, IMO.

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
I was hoping he might do something with Robben Ford after their duo gig in NYC last December... did he say anything about that?
I was interviewing him to advance the Playboy Jazz Fest, where Sco-Ford will be playing the blues - a mix of Chicago-ish blues standards (incl G'Morning Little School Girl, Come on in my Kitchen, Spoonful) and originals, with Ford singing and playing, and Sco on Strat and Ibanez.... He said there could be a CD in the future, but that there were no immediate plans....

Where'd you guys cop the ballads album already? Amazon also says it's not out until Sept. ... I see one of you is in Europe - same with the others?

Trending Topics