Update: Best MIAB pedal when ditching amp for practicing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JDaniels, Nov 11, 2019.

1. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

I play a JMP 2203 through a PS2 for gigging but I want to save the tubes when practicing and am looking for a good Marshall in a box pedal to replace it in my signal chain.

Here’s my thoughts:
    Guitar > MIAB > HXFX > AMT Pangaea (mp3 in and headphone out).

My main question is, are some MIAB pedals designed to be in front of a clean amp vs replacing the amp in the signal chain completely? I’m looking for something that sounds good in the latter scenario. Thanks fellas.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Get a Bandit, after learning this trick.

As for a pedal ... The old MI Audio "Crunchbox", or this newer EVH pedal.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    JDaniels and woof* like this.
  3. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

You’re talking about the difference between distortion pedals and preamp pedals?

Distortion pedals

JHS Angry Charlie
    MI Effects Crunch Box
    Boss ST-2
    Hardwire SC-2
    Mosky Plexi-M

Preamp pedals

Amptweaker Tight Rock
    AMT M2
    Tech 21 British
    Joyo British
    Mooer 002, 012, 019

JDaniels likes this.
  4. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Hmmm, as far as straight MIAB’s go a Clay Jones style TS is the best I’ve come across and it’s not even an MIAB. Honorable mention goes to the JRAD 45 cal if you’re looking for Malcom Young in a box. It’s like the one thing the CJ won’t nail, but your intended use with the AMT? That I’m clueless on. If you have something laying around then test it with both the AMT and your amp set clean and see how they stack up.

I'm totally subscribing to this thread because I’m curious to see where you end up.

5. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Sorry, I should’ve addressed this as well. My experience with them and my takeaway from reading how others here use them (predominantly) is that we use them in front of clean amps.

as always, there are exceptions ;)

6. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

If you are cool with digital, the atomic amplifire box is great for this. Really good Marshall amp sounds with user loadable IR cabinet simulations and the ability to add some ambience to your sound so the headphones don't sound so claustrophobic. Only about $250 used.

mikebu, JDaniels and Rod like this.
  7. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

Thank you! Yes there’s a good chance what I’m actually after is a preamp pedal since I have no intention of actually using an amp with it. And I think my Pangaea actually has a power amp sim so then all I would need would be a Marshall-y preamp pedal.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  8. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

Yeah that’s always been my understanding that MIAB pedals are usually used with a clean amp but I’m curious if any work particularly well straight to a mixer with no amp.

I was in a bit of a hurry when I typed out the OP so I apologize if it was a bit vague, but I have an AMT Pangaea lying around when I was using it strictly as an IR loader cab sim to send the line out of my PS2 to FOH. The nice thing about the Pangaea is it has an aux (mp3) in and a headphone out so I was going to incorporate both those features into my practice setup.

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  9. soundbee

soundbee Gold Supporting Member

With the HXFX alone you have a pretty good foundation. I used to use that with the KoT and OCD models and, then an IR. Tone wise, I felt like it got me 95% of what I needed for gig and certainly 100% for practice.

10. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Yes, you'll definitely want a preamp pedal then. I have owned the Amptweaker Tight Rock / Fat Rock, Tech 21 British, and Mooer 002, 012 and 019. They'll all very cool in different ways.

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Haven’t owned any preamps, but I like my SL Drive as a MIAB to a clean channel.

12. JScaster

JScaster Member

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk I

You can still get them used for not a lot of money(we will se how long that will last).

david(j) likes this.
  13. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

In order, I like;

Catalinbread DLS III (Nicely voiced) Less than $150, ask CB for 'blem'
    - or -
    MXR Super Bad-Ass Distortion (Most flexible, DLS III is more authentic, does a great job Less than $100
    - or -
    Danelectro Daddy O (way more value than almost anthing :) Less than $50

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  14. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

The Mad Professor Loud N Proud emulates an early Marshall preamp and the power amp including the phase inverter and output tranny. I love it. Seems like it’s just what you’re looking for. Yesterday I ran it right into a KT66 power amp and it sounded KILLER. As a bonus you get a Ge Fuzz Face and a boost on the right side. It’s not something you want to use like an OD into a Marshall but for your situation, it could be perfect. Check it out.

JDaniels likes this.
  15. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Silver Supporting Member

J Rockett LED BOOTS

16. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Two other digital suggestions:
    The Mooer 002 UK Gold 900 is a 2 channel model of a JCM 900. It's internal cab simulation can be turned off if you want to use your own IR's in the Pangea.
    The Zoom MS-50G has several Marshall models that can also be run without cabs, allowing you to run your IR in the Pangea (and greatly improving the sound in this case). It also has a slate or reverb and delays for adding ambience to your signal.

SweetClyde99 and JDaniels like this.
  17. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Oodles of em, many bad, plenty good, and a few excellent out there.

The best one I have found, IMO of course, is the freaking sick 30 volt overdrive. It has the feel, the eqing, and the gain range to cop all kinds of Marshall tones, not just plexi. I use it into a clean twin and it's just the ticket for me.

18. mdubya

mdubya Member

Tech 21 British is the best sounding Marshall pedal for going direct of through monitors, IME.

I would assume that a Fly Rig would be even more versatile, but I am not sure the "Marshall" section is as flexible as the British pedal.

[​IMG]

If you like your HXFX, you might consider upgrading to an HX Stomp.

For 60's British tones, I found my Fender Mustang I 60's British model hard to beat with mp3 style earbuds. It didn't like studio headphones, but earbuds were downright amazing and enjoyable beyond belief. Certainly tough to beat @ ~ $100.

Beydski likes this.
  19. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Strymon Iridium is fantastic for what you are looking for, but needs a ton of eq before and after.

20. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

Kingsley Constable
    It is a Plexi preamp:aok

sanfi4u and kingrazor like this.