*Update, help!!!* Amp newb: Blown tube, torn speaker, or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jrcjoseph, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

UPDATE: Replaced tubes. Still broken. Volume is barely audible when gain is set 2-8, then when I turn the gain to 9 or 10 no signal at all.

Been cranking my '69 Vibro Champ and all of a sudden it sounds fizzy, like if you messed with the bias knob or gate on a fuzz.

Recorded this, hope it helps (eq sounds bad but distortion isn't from the mic) -http://vocaroo.com/i/s1vtebfUu4n5

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The tube thing doesn't help. I dunno, to my ears that sounds more like a bad signal cap or something. It's easy to change tubes, and not a big problem to plug into a different speaker for a second (even a 4 ohm "stereo" speaker just to see if the problem goes away), but I'm guessing that's not it...

4. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

How big of an issue is that? Would a guitar tech be able to repair it? Should I buy some tubes first to try and at worst I'll have them as spairs? I appreciate the reply, thanks.

5. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

Going to try to take it in to my local shop's amp tech tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

6. zenas

zenas Member

I'd recommend taking any amp that age straight to a good tech when you buy it If your not familiar enough to do it yourself.

Yeah that applies to the ones "just checked out by a tech" too.
    What that means is the tech told them it's time to spend a few bucks on new electrolytics and service or the tech's an idiot.
    Not sure which but I buy more amps than the average guy and they all need something.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Purple/lavender glow means tiny bit of air is getting in tube. Probably has a small micro crack around bottom. Don't run it, will just keep getting worse and inside tube will turn white and then go up in last gasp of Chernobyl glory. Just replace it and should be fine.

JJ or EH tube by chance?

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Switch the 2 12ax7 tubes and report back.

9. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

UPDATE: Amp seems to be working fine now. Should I still order spare tubes? Maybe they are getting close to dying?

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd watch it carefully, unless you were doing acid and just seeing things a lavender/purple glow inside a tube is a bad thing, it may only do it when it gets really hot, but be sure, it will keep getting worse and worse as time goes by.

11. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

Yeah, it's still that lavender color. Going to order replacements and at least switch that one out.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If that fixed it, then it may be that the "bad" tube was in the 1st position, and is now in the second so less critical? Or it may be that there was some corrosion in the socket that was dislodged by taking out the tube and switching?

13. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

UPDATE: Replaced tubes. Still broken. Volume is barely audible when gain is set 2-8, then when I turn the gain to 9 or 10 no signal at all.

14. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

May be a broken solder somewhere, perhaps on the volume pot. I was changing bright caps on my amp and didn't solder one leg well which caused low volume and raspy, scratchy sound. of course take all precautions not to electrocute yourself, or best take it to a tech.

15. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Take it to your local amp guy.

16. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Yep. Stop fiddling with it and wasting your time. Take it to your tech.