Update-itis

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by PhilosoPhrets, Dec 6, 2017.

1. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Line 6 was offering free updates well before the Axe FX was even around. I think, though, the thing that's probably different with Fractal is that they've always been more a boutique company, putting all their efforts into the one basic product built around the same core code. Line 6 entered the market as a more traditional, mass market company, selling through the traditional MI retailers. So I think those two business plans are bound to garner different customer bases. It seems to me back in the PODxt and Vetta days, while there was talk about updates, it was never quite the focus as it is now. It's funny, I remember I put off doing updates on my XT forever just because I didn't care that much about it back then. I was playing all the time, and I had it set up the way I wanted, so I didn't want to mess with it.

I don't necessarily think it's all consumer or all company driven. It's probably both, really. It could be that companies feel less pressure to have a perfect product out of the gate because they know things can be changed down the road. I think customers are probably more forgiving in that sense, too. I see this in my line of work, too. It used to be that changing a set of architectural drawings was a huge pain in the butt, and issuing addendums or bulletins was kind of seen as a last resort kind of thing. Now because everything we do is electronic, it's just part of doing business. When we issue a set of drawings marked 100% Construction Documents, no one believes there aren't going to be changes. We all know there will be. The thing is we are sending drawings to a printer anymore to have a hundred bound sets made, either. We're just putting a bunch of PDFs on an FTP site.

frthib likes this.
  2. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Who says that? I see most folks being thankfully when they get an update.

3. -Empire

-Empire Member

It’s better than spending $250 on a pedal to “update” my rig.

I love getting updates. New amps, pedals, features, etc, for free. And we have direct contact with the decision makers for the platform through this forum. That’s amazing.

bdrepko and Jarrett like this.
  4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Its easy to be anti-updates, but the reality is that I'm grateful to have the Atomic product line in play, even though they arguably need to finish baking the editor and effects blocks of the AA3/AA12 and the AFB could stand to have an improved way to shuffle the factory IRs around amongst presets, etc.. I think everyone's glad Helix is out and has been out even though its kinda absurd that its STILL running recycled reverbs. I think everyone's glad that Fractal has made it so a modeler that offers a couple Fenders, a couple Marshalls, a Vox or two, and two Boogie models doesn't cut it anymore.

The reality is that there isn't a single product I'm aware of that doesn't work. And while Atomic is the punching bag on slow updates, they've actually added a TON of content and functionality to the AA3 and AA12 since its launch.

There are unreasonable expectations by people of all ages both in terms of updates and "dream products". There are requests for bluetooth editors in products that have no bluetooth hardware; there are expectations that a very young platform that you can buy into at $600 is somehow going to transform into the equivalent of a platform that's been around for over a decade and has always sold at a very high price-point. There are expectations that stripping $50 worth of hardware and a bunch of software should somehow result in a product that can resale for $500 less than the flagship product, etc., etc. While one can blame marketing for some of those unreasonable expectations, none of us are children. If we think the GI Joe toys are going to be able to fly under their own power, that's on us.

frthib and JiveTurkey like this.
  5. frthib

frthib Member

I consider computer hardware, be it Iphone, tablet, music mfx, whatever, all are glorified member card to gain access to the real treasure, the app (or program or code or alogrithm). Interestingly, hardware become obsolete, planified obsolescence, and quite like the membership card, you must renew your commitement once in a while by paying for your card, or hardware.

IMO, and update is kinda like a flyer with rebates who is sent through the mail just to remember the client : "hey, we exist and care for you, don't forget us" ;)

The more I think of it, the more there is ressemblence between Costco and Fractal lol

6. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

You clearly haven't spent much time on the Atomic forum....

ericb likes this.
  7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

The words "barren war zone" come to mind...

ericb and Watt McCo like this.
  8. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

The other side of the coin was Fractal, who used to update weekly at minimum.

The fanboys always had to gush about how the new software was the bestiest ever, even if it had only been released moments earlier.

9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

That cycle is definitely mind-numbing if you give in to it, too :bonk:drink

10. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Do any modeling historians know how many amp models were included in the original Axe Fx at launch? How many in the Axe Fx II at launch?

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

This is true. I look mostly at the Helix and Fractal threads. Those owners seem pretty happy with their choices.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I jumped on the Axe-FX in 2008 or so. I can't remember how many were there then. I think it capped out around 70, so less than that I assume.

13. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I think most people that are using their Atomic units are happy with them, they are simply devices that don't require a lot of forum-time to get the most out of. No deep parameters, a small number of amps so anyone can get to know them all without having to turn to others to figure out what model works best for X sound, no crazy routing options, simple, straightforward I/O and switching paradigms. Folks that like their Atomic units I imagine get them, set up some presets, and play rarely to return to forum hell again. The folks that are disappointed are the ones that took the "Fractal/Helix-level modeling in a cheaper form factor" to also mean "near-Fractal/Helix-level features in a cheaper form factor".

14. C-4

C-4 Member

Pah-lease...you are being too kind and politically correct.
    If I told you the way to say it, they'd probably f^cking ban me. ;)
    But, I' 69, with 1 3/4 feet in the grave. I'd most likely be dead before the ban was lifted.

15. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Some companies release products with the idea that the firmware is not complete and promised features will be available in future upgrades.

16. bdrepko

So if it broken, then you should just live with it?

17. bdrepko

Really!

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

About 65 with the Ultra. I had the original Axe-Fx Standard within the first month it was released in the US and it was probably about 49-50 models .. Not 100% sure though. I kept that firmware for about 7 years when I decided to update to the last version of firmware . Definitely was improved at that point! :) Eric

Watt McCo likes this.
  19. LaXu

LaXu Member

That's how it often felt, at least for major versions. I thought they could not improve much from Quantum 8.x recently yet they somehow managed to make 9.x sound even better. The Axe-Fx 2 started as something that didn't even sound any different from the Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra, only required less tweaking due to unity gain and had more options and controls available. It's come a long way and I even considered the Standard good enough to ditch my tube amps.

20. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

No, off course not. Just don't buy things that don't work for you in the first place.