Update: just RECEIVED an AmpliFIRE 6!

clintmartin

As far as stereo IRs go...
The way I made mine was load the same IR on two tracks in my daw. Pan them to wherever I want, then nudge one a few milliseconds. You can delay the right or left track this way and get a huge sound in the daw.
I haven't tried them live, but I'll be making more in the near future.
I did find my old Hot Brit Marshall patch that has a stereo IR I made for it. If the OP wants to try it. PM me.

vashuba

Silver Supporting Member
want to get one. what power amp you using? i plan to use it live with my 212 so need to get some juice for it

romainbay

Very quick. I think its as gapless as you could realistically ever get/need. My theory on this is that because it has a fairly pre-defined signal path its not having to load as much info. with each patch change - its mostly loading parameter changes.

There is some little signal interruption when using effects loop. Effects like reverb or delay are slightly interrupted when changing a preset.
Your theory makes sense to me. I will try to put the effects loop a the end of the chain, for each preset i use. Maybe it will solve this little "blank" I'm hearing.

viden

There is some little signal interruption when using effects loop. Effects like reverb or delay are slightly interrupted when changing a preset.
Your theory makes sense to me. I will try to put the effects loop a the end of the chain, for each preset i use. Maybe it will solve this little "blank" I'm hearing.
I use the FX loop for reverbs and delays and I haven't noticed any lags and I change presets a lot in songs (low gain to medium gain to high gain). However I haven't done any special tests...I would say in the the mix on a live set you won't have any problems

PS: I use drives and Amp before the loop and cabs after it.

Yeah

I’m so tempted to order an AA6 today. I started using my eleven rack through the effects return of a tube head into a 2x12 cabinet (cab modeling turned off) and I’ve been so happy with my results. Ive been wondering what newer amp modeling might sound like. I’m wondering if I’ll notice much of a difference if I’m not using cabinet modeling? I’ve been researching all the current modelers and for some reason the AA6 is calling to me.

romainbay

I use the FX loop for reverbs and delays and I haven't noticed any lags and I change presets a lot in songs (low gain to medium gain to high gain). However I haven't done any special tests...I would say in the the mix on a live set you won't have any problems

PS: I use drives and Amp before the loop and cabs after it.

I don't think this is a lag, but more like a slight signal cut. Reverb tails, for instance, keep going on on the next preset, but with a tiny blank between the two presets.
I noticed this interruption using my headphones, I haven't used the effects loop in a live situation yet.
So maybe it is just a headphone thing.

Mayhem13

I really wish one of these companies would just make an amp/cab unit with switchable loops for outboard FX. Why shove so so FX down the end users throat? I'd grab a unit like that in a heartbeat.

clintmartin

I really wish one of these companies would just make an amp/cab unit with switchable loops for outboard FX. Why shove so so FX down the end users throat? I'd grab a unit like that in a heartbeat.
The Amplifire FX are really very good. Some people just don't want to learn how to do things.

csweldon

More time with my AF6! To help with deeper shaping, I grabbed the presets from MBritt. Gotta say, I really like them! He seems to dial in things in a way that I would, except more advanced. I didn’t need to do anything to them, but I did mess with the cabs and liked those results. Honestly, the included cabs all sound good. I could stick with them and be totally happy (Though I plan on grabbing the Ownhammer Class A Duo pack for more Vox cabs)

Anyway, back to the presets. I like how he used the EQs to “tone match” a few amps not included with the AF. I’m enjoying them a lot. I really enjoyed the bogners; nice drive sounds! It’s extremely gratifying for soloing. I’m not getting any “digital” breakup at all. Some of the presets have a really nice feel to them, too (they all feel good, but I was enjoying the compression more on some than others. Maybe it’s a product of the compressor being before vs after the amp block?)

I’m still really enjoying the Amplifire paired with my Quilter; more than enough volume for my use (WAY more) and the Q-tone control allows me to quickly adjust my overall tone for home vs live; turned left, it cuts mids and adds highs/lows, so it sounds full at low volume. Turned right, it does the opposite so I cut through more and don’t crowd the bass player. I really wish I played more electric gigs, because I can carry it all in at once and this combo absolutely slays.

I haven’t had a chance to try my acoustic yet, but the few acoustic IRs I got sounded cool with my Eastman T184; it sounds like an old archtop, which is cool in its own right and I could definitely see myself using that for my secondary band. I think I could even use them with some compression and eq to make a decent acoustic sim for my electrics.

Still more work to do on the effects, but I’m getting there. I’ve found that I can actually use the reverb as a second delay, which is super cool and unexpected. I may just set it and use it that way, since reverb is just so easy to dial in with the Quilter. Overall, the effects are great once you dial them in.

I’m almost at the point that I might unload my other amps (Pritchard SoS, Headache Sound GA1.1). That Pritchard especially is a killer amp and you really don’t see many of them, but I simply don’t see myself dragging that out when my AF6/Quilter rig sounds as good as it does and is as light as it is. But I’m gonna give myself more time; the Pritchard has some killer sag that I love playing that I haven’t quite nailed with my AF6... yet.

Seriously, it’s a surprising and inspiring little box to play.

Thanks again for all your help and input, TGP!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom