***UPDATE***Marshall DSL40CST: NAD

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
NEW AMP DAY for me. Just arrived from Sweetwater this morning. (First time ordering from them, actually. Cannot recommend them enough. Customer service was absolutely top-notch)

I haven't plugged in yet because it was delivered to my work, but I did inspect the amp.

I have to say, $699 (same price as the standard DSL40C, might I add) is a helluva price for this amp. The Creamback G12M65 is, in fact, British-made. The idea that you can get such an upgrade for no extra cost is mind-blowing to me.

Anyways, any of you guys have this amp / speaker combo? I'm stoked about letting 'er rip when I get off work. Green channel crunch mode is calling my name!

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I think the speaker upgrade was no cost because many people didn't like the original speaker Marshall put in it.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
Welcome to the club! I replaced the stock speaker with a Creamback plus experimented with some preamp tube alchemy....boxes shown in their respective positions. I'm gigging mine tonight!

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Welcome to the club! I replaced the stock speaker with a Creamback plus experimented with some preamp tube alchemy....boxes shown in their respective positions. I'm gigging mine tonight!

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. I've got some vintage RCA and GE 12AX7s I may throw in there.

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
This amp is kinda sorta on my radar. I'm curious to hear what you think.
So yeah... That green channel on crunch mode. It's so, so perfect. I wish that the red channel was just the crunch channel with a volume and gain control. Then you'd have the pristine cleans as well as the amazing crunch.

The red channel is a bit too compressed for my tastes, but there are definite advantages to having that compression if you're into heavier music.

For me though, I'll be using the crunch mode basically as a single channel amp. It's that incredible.

sa1126

So yeah... That green channel on crunch mode. It's so, so perfect. I wish that the red channel was just the crunch channel with a volume and gain control. Then you'd have the pristine cleans as well as the amazing crunch.

The red channel is a bit too compressed for my tastes, but there are definite advantages to having that compression if you're into heavier music.

For me though, I'll be using the crunch mode basically as a single channel amp. It's that incredible.
Interesting...:D

lespaultazz

Congrats,so its super loud that stinks, how loud is the dsl15
Did sweetwater put the speaker in for u im geting a marahall from them next week

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Congrats,so its super loud that stinks, how loud is the dsl15
Did sweetwater put the speaker in for u im geting a marahall from them next week
It can be quiet too. Very great volume controls.

Yeah, it's an option they have. Just look for the DSL40CST

John 14:6

I have the same amp and I love it!!! I put in four NOS RFT 12ax7 preamp tubes and metal tube shields. It sounds fantastic at any volume and it is a great backup for my Friedman Smallbox. I was watching Jeff Beck's Live In Tokyo DVD and both Beck and his other touring guitar player were using the Marshall DSL100H amps on the green channel. It is the same amp as the DSL40CST with two less power tubes.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Parts-A...e-Caps/Belton-Tube-Shield-for-Chassis-Cut-Out

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Absolutely love this amp, but I really, really wanted to tame the red channel / EQ imbalance without doing the C19 mod. I'm not 100% opposed to doing it, but I wanted to try simpler solutions before pulling the chassis and tinkering.

Popped open the back and pulled the v1 and v2 preamp tubes.

In v1, I tossed in a 1964 Sylvania 12AX7 I had lying around. In v2, I replaced the stock 12AX7 with a 1961 Baldwin 12AU7.

First things first; the green channel sounds loads better with the Sylvania. It very well may be a mental thing, but to me, the bass is more defined, the highs are less harsh, and the mids have this nice, silky quality. AFAIK, the green channel only uses the v1 preamp tube. (2 gain stages)

Now onto the red channel.

The 12AU7 made it noticeably lower-gained, which for my uses, is perfect. Where normally I had the gain set to 9 or 10 o'clock, now I had to noon or 1 o'clock. However, the biggest change was how much less harsh the top end was. I'm not sure if this has to do with the v1 swap, v2 swap, or a combination of the two, but I feel it certainly helped balance out the EQ differences between the channels.

The bass on the red channel still isn't quite where the green channel was, but I only played it at bedroom volumes. I'm hoping, however, that with the change being this noticeable on such a low volume, that the difference will be even more worthwhile at rehearsal / gigging volumes.

So yeah, unless you absolutely NEED all of that gain on the red channel, I highly recommend trying a 12AU7 in v2. It's like having a dirty Plexi on the green channel, and a slightly hotter JCM800 on the red channel. Definitely worth checking out!

astrohound24

If I change my 12ax7s to a better brand do I need to do anything else? What is biasing? I am thinking on experimenting a little with the tubes. I have a Creamback arriving Friday. Love this amplifier.

Trending Topics