Updated Carbon Copy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Maven, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I read that they've updated some things on the CC. My question is, how can I tell if it's the newer version?

2. aberrant

aberrant Member

^^^old news^^^^

They changed the value on the R7 resistor, and it was done several months ago.

When did you buy it?

3. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I guess I'm not "up to date" but the reason I ask is because I'm looking at a used one.

4. Tinman

Tinman Member

I think you have to use carbon dating.

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

To be fair, that was a pretty funny response!

This is from a prior post:

"carbon copy new version:
    Roughly starting with serial number AB03J489..."

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

or, open the pedal and remover the sticky plastic cover with the two holes. In the top center you will find R7. If it reads 474, it's a version 1. If it reads 000 it's a version 2.

I posted a picture of this somewhere around here too, you might do a search.

7. b2thea

b2thea Member

what's the difference in the sound?

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The modulation actually does something on the new version.

9. b2thea

b2thea Member

ah
    that's nice :D

10. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks, 000 it is.
    \

11. charless

charless Member

Just popped over to Guitar Center ( I know:eek:) to pick up an MXR Carbon Copy ... great pedal ... but even though the salesman reassured me it was the newer version .. lo and behold .. I come home and find out it's not! Not too surprised .. he got the sale:stir.

Anyway ... it's v1 .. OK ... should I return it and just order a new one with the higher serial # (v2) or should I keep it? What is the difference in sound? I played it at home and I thought the Modulation sounded nice and subtle but if the v2 is better I want to return mine now and get the other while I can ... I don't solder!

What can u tell me?

Thanks!

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

You can go back and return it, but I've had them both and they are identical sounding except for the amount of modulation. I found that when I a/b tested them I set the modulation on the v2 to sound like the v1 maxed. Any more modulation sounded weird to me, I don't like the crazy mod, just a tad. If you like the wild modulation, get the v2.

13. charless

charless Member

Thanks for the reply .. I like the modulation, I plan on keeping it on always as it sounds better than off.

So you are saying the v2 has too much modulation effect? And that you adjusted the trim pots inside the pedal to max on the v1 and were happy?

I might just stay with the v1, I called the guy at GC and he said there will be a new one in next week, hope it is a v2.

I might keep the v1 and A/B them myself to see which is better, I have 30 days to return it.

14. jb1911

jb1911 Member

That sounds like a good idea.

15. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I got mine today, tried it and love it. I will be comparing it against my memory lane, H2O, Wampler Analog Echo, DD2 (MIJ) and Maxon AD9 just to see how it stacks up. Hey has anyone noticed that the stripes on the dials and the mod button glow in the dark? Nice green metalflake too.

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Maybe you have one with the radioactive mod? :D

17. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Seriously. Glow in the dark indicators and MOD button. Nice to see on a dark stage. I checked for the 0000 and it is there too. I thought they were black too like another post said.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

How did you go with that comparison?

19. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Haven't tried a ver 2 yet, but the ver 1 sounds great to me. If you want real modulation, but a Reptile, Empress, Pigtronix, Timefactor etc

20. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

partial thread hijack...I've got a ver. 1 and found out an interesting quirk at a gig last week.
    I noticed during soundcheck that when I turned on the CC with the guitar pots up full that I got this almost evil breakup/decay when I played low chords. Almost the kind you get if the battery is failing on a fuzz but I was on AC power.
    Very cool discovery.
    I was playing my '67 SG with P-90s, amp was a AC15. Couple of other pedals in the chain, true bypass.