UPDATED: Pedalboard Design Inspired by Temple Boards

fechart

Hi,

I´m an architect as well as a musician, so I like designing things... and when it comes to gear related things, I enjoy it double ;)

So, I´m designing this stylish board, not gonna post technical details and drawings here, just a few pics of the 3D sketch.

The board frame is made out of aluminum, and the board itself is a perforated steel sheet. I wanted to design a flexible board, that could be able to accommodate pedals in different ways, or add a couple more maybe (I abandoned the idea of the "final board" a long time ago :D). So, I took the Temple Boards concept and made something customized for my needs...

The brain of my setup is the G System, and I got some pedals that will go on the board, others go inside my rack case (this is a quite old pic, less pedals than now):

I´m gonna highlight for you some particular characteristics and items the board will include:

* Aluminum frame, perforated steel board
* Matte black oven baked finish
* Texts on connectivity and graphics plates made with serigraph technique
* Stainless steel plates with 1/4" screws and thumb nuts to fix pedals to the board (Pedals to plates attached with Velcro or 3M double tape, can´t decide yet...)
* George L´s solderless plugs and cables
* T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior PSU
* ON/OFF illuminated button switch
* High quality copper gold AC inlet
* Temple Audio 4 jacks feedthrough module
* Neutrik feedthrough LAN connector for the G-System
* Xiaomi power strip with USB power (for Line 6 wireless system)
* LED strips inside aluminum profiles, w/remote control

OK, here we go:

First, a couple of views of the entire thing...

Now some general pics and close-ups:

Hope you dig it!

fechart

Testing the steel sheet with the aluminum profiles. The sheet suffers of some deformation when G System is over it, but the reinforcement pieces designed are missing there, so I think I'll be cool with that.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
I think this design is really good. And you should definitely carry on. The only thing I will add (as a previous owner of a Temple Board) is this:

The BIGGEST issue with Temple was the QUALITY of the board and the add-ons. The board's powder coating chipped so easily, the modules didn't fit well in their designated places, I had a module or 2 that didn't work, and even the tiny screws for the modules stripped within 1 installation.

And I'm not even talking about the mounting plates. So a modular design is great if 1. the quality of the modules are up to par and 2. the cost of them and everything to make your board "cool" isn't obscenely high. Just giving you something to think about.

I'll say it again though, it's a good design and can't wait to see it flushed out!

fechart

I think this design is really good. And you should definitely carry on. The only thing I will add (as a previous owner of a Temple Board) is this:

The BIGGEST issue with Temple was the QUALITY of the board and the add-ons. The board's powder coating chipped so easily, the modules didn't fit well in their designated places, I had a module or 2 that didn't work, and even the tiny screws for the modules stripped within 1 installation.

And I'm not even talking about the mounting plates. So a modular design is great if 1. the quality of the modules are up to par and 2. the cost of them and everything to make your board "cool" isn't obscenely high. Just giving you something to think about.

I'll say it again though, it's a good design and can't wait to see it flushed out!
Thanks for the input! Glad you like the design

The paintjob on the Temple boards is really bad quality, I knew that because I've seen them really damaged after just a few pedals re-arrangements. Mine will be oven painted and varnished, just like car parts. For aluminum parts, an epoxi primer will be used first. Even then, I'll stick EVA foam to the face of the plates in contact with the board itself, to avoid scratches and paint damage.

That system makes a better fastening too, using the thumb nuts (which I also designed and order their fabrication).

Regarding costs, this is an expensive journey... I'm not building this for sale, it's just for me to have fun! Anyway, I cant wait to see it finished too! I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again and cheers!

fechart

PS: regarding the modules quality, I didn't know they were so bad, I just bought from them the feedthrough 4 plugs module. The other components I'm using are pretty high quality (see collage p8c above ^^^)

elevenstrings

Your board is looking great so far!

Just so you know, Temple Audio didn't originate this idea and were certainly "inspired" by Custom District who were doing boards with holes/plates long before Temple showed up.

fechart

Decided to change which pedals go on the board and which inside the rack case (in the 4 loops of the G System). This is the layout I like better:

And this is a diagram showing how I connect all:

BTW, the Bollocks Blaster booster and the Groupie Screamer are two pedals a friend hand-built for me

Trending Topics