Updated: Robert Cray Strat question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by enocaster, Mar 11, 2008.

1. enocaster

enocaster Member

I'm looking to buy a used MIM Robert Cray Strat tonight, but it's a long drive so I want to be sure about it before I go. I've read conflicting things about the neck - some say it's thick and chunky, some say it's average thickness, but with a wide nut.
    So my question is, how does it compare in thickness to my 2 points of reference:
    A 90's American Std Tele (chunky, round neck, narrow nut)?
    A 1987 '62 RI strat (thinner neck, wider board)?

I'm much more comfy on the '62 RI and have the sinking feeling that the Cray is more like a Tele neck from what I've read. I'd keep playing my '62 RI but the neck is warped. Help!

2. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I can't compare directly to what you are suggesting, but it is a decent sized neck. I have a 2000 Am Deluxe Tele, and I'd say the Cray neck is just slightly smaller than that.

I love the neck on my Cray.

I would gauge it as chunkier than average, but not huge.

It's definitely not thin. I'm not sure about the nut width. It never struck me as being different than a standard Strat.

3. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

thicker than both you mention

if you can get your mitts on an SRV sig
    it's in that range

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a MIM Cray. The nut width is vintage 1.650" which is a bit over 1 5/8". The neck carve is a plump 62 C that is .87" at fret 1 and 1" at fret 12. This is the comfiest production strat neck I've ever played. It would be nice if it was 1 11/16 at the nut but it is not noticeable. For camparison, it is fatter than any MIA standard or deluxe strat or tele I've played. It feels very close to a 52RI I played (maybe a wee bit smaller at fret 1) and almost identical to a new Jeff Beck (2007) I tried.

5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Almost bought one unseen, but don't think my smallish hands would like the fat neck, and I refuse to buy a guitar that you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. That's just dumb!

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I don't have large hands (7 1/2" from wrist to tip of middle finger) and I love the Cray neck. The fatness of the neck fills up your palm and gives you support.

7. enocaster

enocaster Member

Thanks for the replies! This is why I love TGP. Up until now, every gear question/curiosity I've had (hundreds) has been answered through the search function here, so I don't feel bad asking a few ?'s this time

I'm still wary of the neck thickness, but I'm going to buy it tomorrow anyway. It's a 3-hour drive (round trip) so it's not worth the gas $ to "check it out", but it's only $300 so I'll just take the plunge.

New, improved, more specific question:
    Assuming they are the same thickness, has anyone found a fatter strat neck comfortable when they didn't like the equivalent tele neck due to the wider fretboard on the stratocaster?

Thanks again!